Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . LastLast

Thread: The Book CC Track & Field 2007-08

Track & Field Re: Renowned coach hired to lead UL track ( Steve Silvey )

Heard the bad news y'all, read the first post and know this, Silvey would have made UL a winner.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: UL Track coach Steve Silvey resigns

Quote Originally Posted by rgncjn12 View Post
    Z
    I know he is an Iraqi war veteran and I deeply appreciate him for his efforts serving our country.

but that has no effect on how he talks about his university. he has every right to be ____ed that his Track Program is getting the shaft. But to say he is taking his support elsewhere is childish to say the least?

Like I said, We are all indebted to those like Cajun4Life that have served the US, but that doesnt give him a pass on the crap that comes out of his mouth.

GEAUX UL!
    He's a big boy and can handle himself. We are all frustrated. I have to go do some painting, maybe I'll forget about the news of the day??? LOL!! Maybe not

Z

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    The thing is though I do buy tickets. I encourage my friends and family to come to UL Athletic events. My office has UL items decorating it. I have no problem ponying up money. I do have a problem with the continued lack of effort by the administration to improve athletics. I've been watching this program loyally since 1995.

Z where you hiding these days?
    I came home this week. Jr had some school stuff I had to attend, and I needed to take care of some "honey do's"

Looks like I picked the perfect week to come home.

Z

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

All of this infighting and anger are the fault of Martin Hall. Focus your venom on them. Find a way and focus your venom on them. It is their fault. They are probably enjoying themselves, as usual, just as we speak. Focus your venom on them. They are at fault. No one can do anything whatsoever about Cajun athletics but them.

Can you imagine how much loyalty has been given to this school over the years. you very likely have no clue. But, these pompous know-it-alls flounder around and keep us at the lowest of the lows. We never get to enjoy the pride that others do. They have disconnected our alumni, and left us with empty, hollow hopes.

Martin Hall has failed all of us for decades and nothing appears to be any different. Focus your venom on them, not on each other.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    _ BREAKING SPORTS NEWS: UL track coach Steve Silvey resigns
    Track coach cites "psychological differences" for reason
    Joshua Parrott
    jparrott@theadvertiser.com

First-year UL track and field coach Steve Silvey held a team meeting on Wednesday to tell his athletes he was resigning his position effective June 30.
    “There were just some psychological differences I had with the administration on how to build this program back up to a championship level,” Silvey said. “I wanted to wait to make the announcement until after the conference meet, but somehow the word leaked out and I wanted to tell my kids myself.”
    ADVERTISEMENT
    Silvey, who took over the Cajun program last June, holds a resume filled with lofty accolades. He enjoyed tremendous success at Blinn (Texas) College before serving as the staffs at Arkansas, Oregon, Texas A&M and Texas Tech.
    The 51-year-old Silvey was a part of 28 national championship teams, including 13 while on the staff of UL grad John McDonnell at Arkansas and 15 in seven years at Blinn. He was inducted into the National Junior College Track and Field Hall of Fame in 2005. In all, Silvey has coached 561 All-Americans, 28 World Championship entrants, 15 World Championship medalists and 34 Olympians. Before coming to UL, Silvey spent the previous three years as the sprints and hurdles coach at Texas Tech, helping the Red Raiders win their first Big 12 Conference title in 2005.
    _

Wait! Let me get this straight This man has 28 national championships under his belt, and this university's administration actually had the audacity to disagree with this man about how to get a program on back on track? Hello? Oh yes, Doc A and the rest of his cronies high up have done such a great job in the past.why shouldn't they call all the shots. I swear.sometimes. I think I believe. that we actually have administrators trying to sabotage this program from the inside.

Track & Field Re: UL Track coach Steve Silvey resigns

I could told Coach Silvey the day he started that he would not be getting much support financially or otherwise from the athletic department. When I was there, we always raised our own funds (budget), except for scholarships. We always had a no lose attitude no matter who we were up against, and past titles and champions will attest to that. There was only two other teams, I admired and that was baseball and softball. Football and Basketball were never in the equation. I think over the years the athletic department have developed a loser attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by uslsp View Post
    _ I could told Coach Silvey the day he started that he would not be getting much support financially or otherwise from the athletic department. When I was there, we always raised our own funds (budget), except for scholarships. We always had a no lose attitude no matter who we were up against, and past titles and champions will attest to that. There was only two other teams, I admired and that was baseball and softball. Football and Basketball were never in the equation. I think over the years the athletic department have developed a loser attitude. _

I am curious to see what kind of spin UL administrators will put on their damage control to justify actions or inactions in this matter. It is tough enough to be a Cajun supporter because we lose so much in everything. Then, when something like this happens just when we though everything was on the upswing, it really brings things back into perspective of what the last 30 years of UL athletics has been like. Is it any wonder why we have quite possibly the worse athletic program in the worse 1A conference in the country?

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Land Cajun View Post
    _ I am curious to see what kind of spin UL administrators will put on their damage control to justify actions or inactions in this matter. It is tough enough to be a Cajun supporter because we lose so much in everything. Then, when something like this happens just when we though everything was on the upswing, it really brings things back into perspective of what the last 30 years of UL athletics has been like. Is it any wonder why we have quite possibly the worse athletic program in the worse 1A conference in the country? _
    They won't have to put any spin on it because no one in the locla media will hold their feet to the fire on this or any of their other failures. Look at the Baldwin issue. The local media has never raised the question about the stupidity of his hire in the first place.

Default Re: Renowned coach hired to lead UL track ( Steve Silvey )

Quote Originally Posted by BarHopper View Post
    _ Heard the bad news y'all, read the first post and know this, Silvey would have made UL a winner. _
    Unfortunately everyone but our administration realized this.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

My depression is quickly developing into apathy.

It sucks to be a cajun fan these days (and all days before that apparently)

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    _ Wait! Let me get this straight This man has 28 national championships under his belt, and this university's administration actually had the audacity to disagree with this man about how to get a program on back on track? Hello? Oh yes, Doc A and the rest of his cronies high up have done such a great job in the past.why shouldn't they call all the shots. I swear.sometimes. I think I believe. that we actually have administrators trying to sabotage this program from the inside. _
    Word I've received from a very credible source is that the administration disagreed with Silvey wanted to pull the scholarship of an athlete who was nothing but a cancer for the team.

However, the "smarter visionaries" in Martin Hall felt it was more important to keep wasting the scholarship on a punk athlete so their APR rating wouldn't take a hit. Silvey had already pulled scholarships from other slackers upon arriving, and I guess the university didn't care much for his discipline style.

12. Track & Field Signs of a Track Program in Transition

It is nice to see the past turned into accolades, visible for all to see.

Attached Images Attached Images                    

Default Re: Signs of a Track Program in Transition

Another sign of transition is a phase of eliminating the scholarship free loaders, which is impossible if the university administration is preventing that merely for maintaining their APR.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    _ Word I've received from a very credible source is that the administration disagreed with Silvey wanted to pull the scholarship of an athlete who was nothing but a cancer for the team.

However, the "smarter visionaries" in Martin Hall felt it was more important to keep wasting the scholarship on a punk athlete so their APR rating wouldn't take a hit. Silvey had already pulled scholarships from other slackers upon arriving, and I guess the university didn't care much for his discipline style. _
    Who was he related to?

Default go delphi somewhere else

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Hanging out with your buddy 4dogs? Yeah, thas a real bunch of UL loyalists over there. I bet they were just thilled and posting lots of grins and smiles about the Silvey news. BTW, helping them out with any UL fundraising over there? Afterall, that bunch contributes so much to UL.

next

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . LastLast

Thread Information