Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 . LastLast

Thread: The Book CC Track & Field 2007-08

Default Re: Two Ragin' Cajuns Qualify for Regionals at La. Classics

You obviously do not know who I am but if you did you would not lecture me about the hardships this program went through after Lancon died. Lance was not prepaired for this job and he did not have the backbone or the support from other coaches to put his foot down and kick some cancers off of the team and pull scholarships. I will not get into bashing Lance because we are pretty good friends.

Silvey will get the ship going int the right direction. It will take 2 or 3 more years but he will get it done then he will leave for a better job.

Default Re: Two Ragin' Cajuns Qualify for Regionals at La. Classics

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    _ You obviously do not know who I am but if you did you would not lecture me about the hardships this program went through after Lancon died. Lance was not prepaired for this job and he did not have the backbone or the support from other coaches to put his foot down and kick some cancers off of the team and pull scholarships. I will not get into bashing Lance because we are pretty good friends.

Silvey will get the ship going int the right direction. It will take 2 or 3 more years but he will get it done then he will leave for a better job. _
    I don't think I am "lecturing" you.

I agree with you on many points, such as Lance not being ready for the job, but he was the best we could get to replace Lancon at the time since the athletic dept. didn't care to poney up the money for someone else.

I also agree that he did not have the backbone to kick certain cancers off the team and pull scholarships from those who were lazy SOBs. That is the main thing I like about Silvey. I read his "memo" to the team back in August, and believe me, it made me wish I was a few years younger, because I like his style.

Rather than "lecturing" you, I was merely trying to point out that Lance did come through during some very rough times for the team, and our surprise performance at the '02 Outdoor Championships proved that. But like you said, he really wasn't ready for the job. Then again, for $34k/yr., your chances of finding someone better are slim to none.

PM me if you care to introduce who you are. I would honestly like to exchange hellos. But if not, then don't feed me that "you have no idea who I am" line.

3. Track & Field Ragin Cajuns at LSU Tiger Relays

BATON ROUGE - Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns track and field teams competed in the LSU Tiger Relays over the weekend. Freshman Kenneth Bellard placed first in the men’s triple jump.

Bellard led the Cajuns with his first place finish. Bellard, who has been impressive all season, posted a mark of 47 feet, 11 1/4 inches.

Senior Ben Leonard’s throw of 45 feet, 7 inches in the men’s shot put was good enough to earn him a second place finish. He was followed by sophomore Jordan Folse, who finished fourth with a throw of 40 feet, 3 1/2 inches, and sophomore Matt Desormeaux, who placed fifth with a mark of 40 feet, 2 1/4 inches.

Folse also placed fifth in the discus with his mark of 130 feet, 2 inches.

Senior DJ Hebert finished third in the men’s 5,000-meter run with his time of 16:02.15. Freshman Chris Roy placed third in the men’s pole vault with his mark of 15 feet, 7 inches.

Junior Antwyne Zanders placed fifth in the men’s javelin throw with his mark of 133 feet, 1 inch. He was followed by sophomore Joey Wynn who placed sixth with a throw of 119 feet, 1 inch.

Sophomore Roderick Houston finished sixth in the men’s 100-meter dash after he posted a time of 10.89 seconds.

The Cajuns will next compete in the Texas Relays beginning Wednesday, April 2. The meet will conclude on Saturday, April 5.

RaginCajuns.com

Heather L Warren

4. Track & Field Lady Cajuns at LSU Tiger Relays

BATON ROUGE, La.-Louisiana’s Lady Cajuns track and field teams competed in the LSU Tiger Relays over the weekend. Senior Casey Brown placed third overall in the 5,000-meter run.

Brown was the top collegiate finisher in the event with her time of 18:48.37. The time was Brown’s career best. Brown’s previous career-best time was 19:06.27, which she set during the 2007 outdoor season.

Senior Amy Doucet finished first in section 1 finals of the javelin throw. Doucet recorded a mark of 119 feet. Freshman Jeri Ann Sills placed fourth in the event with a mark of 102 feet.

Senior Suzanne Boudreaux placed second in section 2 finals of the 1,500-meter run with her time of 5:06.72. Sophomore Ashley Faulk placed fifth.

Freshman Taryn Simmons shined in the 400-meter hurdles. Simmons placed third with her time of 1:02.94. She was followed by junior Lina Futi who placed sixth with a time of 1:05.70.

Sophomore Paula Parker finished sixth in the 1,500-meter run with a time of 4:53.32. The 4X400-meter relay team also placed sixth with a time of 3:51.17. Freshman Jasmine Anderson placed sixth in the high jump with her mark of 5 feet, 3 inches.

The Cajuns will next compete in the Texas Relays beginning Wednesday, April 2. The meet will conclude on Saturday, April 5.

RaginCajuns.com

Heather L Warren

5. Track & Field UL's Bellard keeps momentum from indoor season

UL's Kenneth Bellard ended the indoor track and field season by placing third in the triple jump with a season-high mark of 48 feet, 10 inches at the Sun Belt Conference Indoor Championships in February.

The freshman from Franklin has enjoyed similar success in the outdoor season.

After placing second in the long jump and triple jump at the Louisiana Classics on March 22, Bellard posted a first-place finish in the triple jump at last weekend's LSU Tiger Relays in Baton Rouge. His best jump was 47 feet, 11.25 inches.

The rest of the story

Joshua Parrott
    jparrott@theadvertiser.com

6. Track & Field Louisiana Track at Auburn Tiger Classic

AUBURN, Ala.- Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns men’s and women’s track and field teams competed at the Tiger Classic Saturday on the campus of the Auburn University. Senior Amy Doucet placed third in the women’s javelin throw.

For the Lady Cajuns, Doucet had the top finish of the day. Doucet placed third in the javelin throw, posting a mark of 127 feet, 9 inches. The throw was a season-best for the senior.

Sophomore Paula Parker placed fourth in the 800-meter run, recording a time of 2:18.09.

Freshman Taryn Simmons also helped the Cajuns’ cause with her fifth place finish in the 400-meter hurdles. Simmons recorded a time of 1:02. 69. Freshman Jasmine Anderson placed ninth in the event with her time of 1:04. 63.

Jazmin Greer also captured a top 10 finish, placing 10th out of 23 competitors in the 400-meter dash with her time of 56.03 seconds.

The 4X400-meter relay team finished fourth with a time of 3:49.30.

Junior Kioloni Readeaux captured another top 10 finish for the Cajuns after she placed sixth in the triple jump with her mark of 37 feet, 4 1/2 inches.

Casey Brown placed 12th in the 3,000-meter with a time of 10:48.90. The time was a career-best outdoor record for the senior.

For the Ragin' Cajuns, senior DJ Hebert finished sixth in the 3,000-meter steeplechase. Hebert recorded a time of 9:52.06. Freshman Chris Roy also posted a top 10 finish after he placed sixth in the pole vault with a mark of 15 feet, 7 inches.

Sophomore Roderick Houston placed 13th out of 36 competitors in the 100-meter dash. Houston posted a time of 10.84 seconds in the event. Houston also captured a 12th place finish in the 200-meter run with his time of 21.58 seconds.

Freshman Louis Stevens placed 12th in the 110-meter hurdles after he posted a time of 14.85 seconds.

The Cajuns were to host the Lancon Relays on Saturday, April 12, but the meet was cancelled because of other meets throughout the state.

RaginCajuns.com

Heather L Warren

7. Default UL Track coach Steve Silvey resigns

BREAKING SPORTS NEWS: UL track coach Steve Silvey resigns
    Track coach cites "psychological differences" for reason
    Joshua Parrott

First-year UL track and field coach Steve Silvey held a team meeting on Wednesday to tell his athletes he was resigning his position effective June 30.
    “There were just some psychological differences I had with the administration on how to build this program back up to a championship level,” Silvey said. “I wanted to wait to make the announcement until after the conference meet, but somehow the word leaked out and I wanted to tell my kids myself.”
    ADVERTISEMENT
    Silvey, who took over the Cajun program last June, holds a resume filled with lofty accolades. He enjoyed tremendous success at Blinn (Texas) College before serving as the staffs at Arkansas, Oregon, Texas A&M and Texas Tech.
    The 51-year-old Silvey was a part of 28 national championship teams, including 13 while on the staff of UL grad John McDonnell at Arkansas and 15 in seven years at Blinn. He was inducted into the National Junior College Track and Field Hall of Fame in 2005. In all, Silvey has coached 561 All-Americans, 28 World Championship entrants, 15 World Championship medalists and 34 Olympians. Before coming to UL, Silvey spent the previous three years as the sprints and hurdles coach at Texas Tech, helping the Red Raiders win their first Big 12 Conference title in 2005.

Default BREAKING SPORTS NEWS: UL track coach Steve Silvey resigns

BREAKING SPORTS NEWS: UL track coach Steve Silvey resigns
    Track coach cites "psychological differences" for reason
    Joshua Parrott

First-year UL track and field coach Steve Silvey held a team meeting on Wednesday to tell his athletes he was resigning his position effective June 30.
    “There were just some psychological differences I had with the administration on how to build this program back up to a championship level,” Silvey said. “I wanted to wait to make the announcement until after the conference meet, but somehow the word leaked out and I wanted to tell my kids myself.”

Full Story:
    http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pb.PORTS/80416019

Default UL track coach Steve Silvey resigns

Coach Steve Silvey has tendered his resignation. Coach was told he would have a certain amount of support when he was hired, and didn't get it.

10. Default Re: UL Track coach Steve Silvey resigns

and the Ragin Cajun Athletic Dept. takes another hit.

Default Re: UL Track coach Steve Silvey resigns

This is not good news, we were attracted to UL because of coach Steve.

Default Re: UL track coach Steve Silvey resigns

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ Coach Steve Silvey has tendered his resignation. Coach was told he would have a certain amount of support when he was hired, and didn't get it. _
    this is very sad. this will be a huge hit for ul athletics. i am highly disappointed

Default Re: UL track coach Steve Silvey resigns

wow. seriously, wow.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by LACajuns View Post
    This is not good news, we were attracted to UL because of coach Steve.
    And sir, you have a right to be extremely pis.se.d. In the morning I would call Martin Hall and ask for Ray Authement. Have him explain whats going on.

Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ And sir, you have a right to be extremely pis.se.d. In the morning I would call Martin Hall and ask for Ray Authement. Have him explain whats going on.

Z. _
    Don't you know whats going on? Hint: See signature below

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 . LastLast

Thread Information