Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I have a few questions about the dorms (conference center)

1. Default I have a few questions about the dorms (conference center)

Hi everyone, I'm going to be a new student in the fall and I just received a letter today letting me know I will be staying in the Conference Center dormitory. I just had a few questions that I couldn't find answers to on the UL website.

Do the dorms come with cable access? Like, is it basical cable (10-15 channels) or is it a better package (50-60 channels) ?

Also, I know a lot of the campus has broadband internet access, but I remember someone telling me that conference center is not one of the buildings with broadband. Is that true? Would I atleast be able to connect to an on campus wireless signal with decent speeds?

I can't think of any other questions at the moment, but I'm sure I'll come up with some more soon. I would really appreciate any help from anyone who has stayed there, or knows anything about the dorms at all. I just want to be prepared when I come down in a few months.

Thanks!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: I have a few questions about the dorms (conference center)

Im not sure about the cable part, but I can tell you the conference center does have Wireless Internet Access.

3. Default Re: I have a few questions about the dorms (conference center)

Quote Originally Posted by billabong7329
    _ Hi everyone, I'm going to be a new student in the fall and I just received a letter today letting me know I will be staying in the Conference Center dormitory. I just had a few questions that I couldn't find answers to on the UL website.

Do the dorms come with cable access? Like, is it basical cable (10-15 channels) or is it a better package (50-60 channels) ?

Also, I know a lot of the campus has broadband internet access, but I remember someone telling me that conference center is not one of the buildings with broadband. Is that true? Would I atleast be able to connect to an on campus wireless signal with decent speeds?

I can't think of any other questions at the moment, but I'm sure I'll come up with some more soon. I would really appreciate any help from anyone who has stayed there, or knows anything about the dorms at all. I just want to be prepared when I come down in a few months.

Thanks! _
    Never stayed in the dorms but had friends that did.
    They say you get basic cable up to 73 I think.
    You do have access to uwinn the university wireless link. There is also an outdated computer lab in the lobby of this dorm.

4. Default Re: I have a few questions about the dorms (conference center)

I stayed in the Conference Center for two years. The cable is expanded basic COX cable, the same that's found throughout Lafayette. If you can't get wireless in your room, there is a secret spot on the Mezzanine Floor (Between 1st and 2nd) that has wireless. I must say that I loved every minute of living in the Conference Center. I remember one morning waking up at 8:58am and only being 5 minutes late for my 9 am class. Boy, living in the middle of campus is awesome. Anyway, welcome to the family. Take off your shoes, stay awhile, ya know maybe 4 to 5 years.

5. Default Re: I have a few questions about the dorms (conference center)

Quote Originally Posted by bigguill
    _ I stayed in the Conference Center for two years. The cable is expanded basic COX cable, the same that's found throughout Lafayette. If you can't get wireless in your room, there is a secret spot on the Mezzanine Floor (Between 1st and 2nd) that has wireless. I must say that I loved every minute of living in the Conference Center. I remember one morning waking up at 8:58am and only being 5 minutes late for my 9 am class. Boy, living in the middle of campus is awesome. Anyway, welcome to the family. Take off your shoes, stay awhile, ya know maybe 4 to 5 years. _
    I KNOW! I'm so excited about staying right in the middle of campus. I have the library, book store, church, student union, ALL of my classes, EVERYTHING is right next door. I'll also be living five minutes away from my girlfriend and one of my really good friends, so thats exciting.

Man, I'm just really excited about coming back home. I lived in lafayette for 14 years, then moved here to Houston in 8th grade. I can't wait! Only two more months =) I'm moving in Thursday August 16th at 9:00 AM!!

_ I KNOW! I'm so excited about staying right in the middle of campus. I have the library, book store, church, student union, ALL of my classes, EVERYTHING is right next door. I'll also be living five minutes away from my girlfriend and one of my really good friends, so thats exciting.

Man, I'm just really excited about coming back home. I lived in lafayette for 14 years, then moved here to Houston in 8th grade. I can't wait! Only two more months =) I'm moving in Thursday August 16th at 9:00 AM!! _
    Get ready to have fun. I think I am safe in saying this, College was and is the best times of our lives. Better than high school by far. I want to be young again. LOL.

Enjoy you times here support the Cajuns
    Geaux Cajuns

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: I have a few questions about the dorms (conference center)

_ I KNOW! I'm so excited about staying right in the middle of campus. I have the library, book store, church, student union, ALL of my classes, EVERYTHING is right next door. I'll also be living five minutes away from my girlfriend and one of my really good friends, so thats exciting.

Man, I'm just really excited about coming back home. I lived in lafayette for 14 years, then moved here to Houston in 8th grade. I can't wait! Only two more months =) I'm moving in Thursday August 16th at 9:00 AM!! _
    You should have a good time in the CC. I never lived there, being from lafayette, but had a few friends that did. more important than being in walking distance from all that other stuff, you can also walk to the bars.

Just make sure you know how to get to Cajun Field on Saturday's.and if you need some tailgating guidance, feel free to ask.

welcome to UL, get involved you will never regret it. college has been the best time of my life

Hi everyone, I'm going to be a new student in the fall and I just received a letter today letting me know I will be staying in the Conference Center dormitory. I just had a few questions that I couldn't find answers to on the UL website.

Thanks!

I lived in the Conf. Center for 2 years as well. channels 2-71 are free (cox basic extended cable) and i also got high-speed cable internet for my dorm room. i purchased a 4 port router and split the internet with the neighbors. just become friends with your neighbors, mostly everyone there is really cool. buy some cable and split the internet fees between whoever you want. i ended up paying less than 15 bucks a month for cable internet. And that was awsome! there were several dorm rooms that were splitting cable down my hallway, so it shouldnt be hard to find free or cheap internet in that place! good luck!

10. Default Re: I have a few questions about the dorms (conference center)

Quote Originally Posted by cajunshat
    _ I lived in the Conf. Center for 2 years as well. channels 2-71 are free (cox basic extended cable) and i also got high-speed cable internet for my dorm room. i purchased a 4 port router and split the internet with the neighbors. just become friends with your neighbors, mostly everyone there is really cool. buy some cable and split the internet fees between whoever you want. i ended up paying less than 15 bucks a month for cable internet. And that was awsome! there were several dorm rooms that were splitting cable down my hallway, so it shouldnt be hard to find free or cheap internet in that place! good luck! _
    Why did you buy it in the first place? Did the dorms not have wireless at the time, or were the speeds really slow? I might have to consider doing that if I'm not satisfied with the speeds.

I really hope I make friends with everyone too. Are there mostly people from Lafayette, or out of town/state?

I guess that I can't relate. My time was spent a Stokes hall for a bulk of my college life. I remember being one of the few leftovers during Hurricane Lilly.

WELCOME

Why did you buy it in the first place? Did the dorms not have wireless at the time, or were the speeds really slow? I might have to consider doing that if I'm not satisfied with the speeds.

I really hope I make friends with everyone too. Are there mostly people from Lafayette, or out of town/state?
    first of all, i dont think they had the wireless internet when i was there and secondly i didnt have a laptop or a wireless ethernet card so, i couldnt pick up a wireless signal. but, cox internet is really fast and its 40 bucks a month, and if you can find someone to split it with i think its worth it.
    mostly everyone there is from surrounding areas of lafayette. everyone was pretty cool and easy to get along with.

Thanks!
    Whatever you do , avoid using the elevators in the conference center the morning after the weekend . Trust me on this .you don't want to be stuck with that smell . ahh.good ol memories

14. Default Re: I have a few questions about the dorms (conference center)

Quote Originally Posted by sleepophile
    Whatever you do , avoid using the elevators in the conference center the morning after the weekend . Trust me on this .you don't want to be stuck with that smell . ahh.good ol memories
    Haha, wow. I wouldn't have thought of that, thanks for the tip.

15. Default Re: I have a few questions about the dorms (conference center)

I will be in the Conference Center with you, I move in July 31st though

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information