Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SB 2007: Hosting or Not? NOT!

Default SB 2007: Hosting or Not? NOT!

Just in case anyone believed those who were saying that the press box at The Tigue was too small and THAT (almost exclusively) was the reason the committee would NEVER let us host. I was in College Station this past weekend. The press box at A&M's park is a "twin" of ours. Oh, yes. and our announcer was sitting out in front of the press box in a temporary wooden addition. This is something that was mentioned as a solution the committee would NEVER accept.

Just thought I'd mention this.

Default Re: Press Box too small to Host?

A&M has a beautiful stadium. I have to give them that.

3. Default Re: Press Box too small to Host?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed
    _ Just in case anyone believed those who were saying that the press box at The Tigue was too small and THAT (almost exclusively) was the reason the committee would NEVER let us host. I was in College Station this past weekend. The press box at A&M's park is a "twin" of ours. Oh, yes. and our announcer was sitting out in front of the press box in a temporary wooden addition. This is something that was mentioned as a solution the committee would NEVER accept.

Just thought I'd mention this. _
    I couldn't help but notice the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Choppie29
    _ I couldn't help but notice the same thing. _
    The area under the closed in press box was NOT temporary. That's the open air part of the press facility, similar to what they have at Alex Box.

They DID have a temporary area that sat about six people adjacent to the press box (first base side.)

They were able to construct that because there were no chairback seats in that area.

But the place I was broadcasting from wasn't temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed
    _ Just in case anyone believed those who were saying that the press box at The Tigue was too small and THAT (almost exclusively) was the reason the committee would NEVER let us host. I was in College Station this past weekend. The press box at A&M's park is a "twin" of ours. Oh, yes. and our announcer was sitting out in front of the press box in a temporary wooden addition. This is something that was mentioned as a solution the committee would NEVER accept.

Just thought I'd mention this. _
    That's it! All we have to do is build wooden shacks for our competition's announcers then we'll be able to host.

NOW I get it.

6. Default Re: Press Box too small to Host?

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise
    _ The area under the closed in press box was NOT temporary. That's the open air part of the press facility, similar to what they have at Alex Box.

They DID have a temporary area that sat about six people adjacent to the press box (first base side.)

They were able to construct that because there were no chairback seats in that area.

But the place I was broadcasting from wasn't temporary. _
    I was sitting a few rows below you. I wish I would have looked back at you when Alexander came through with the game winning hit against Ohio State, to see if you had jumped out of your chair or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunpride101
    _ That's it! All we have to do is build wooden shacks for our competition's announcers then we'll be able to host.

NOW I get it. _
    I agree. What we need to do is order a bunch of 2X4s and plywood just in case. If it looks like we have a shot of hosting, we can quickly build a temporary section. but then tell the committee its "permanent"!

_ The area under the closed in press box was NOT temporary. That's the open air part of the press facility, similar to what they have at Alex Box.

At least Birdman got to come in and tell you you're wrong. Can always count on that.

Yeah, you noticed that too, did you?

Since next year has the potential to be even better and presumably be in the running to host. What HAS to happen to the Tigue during THIS off-season in order to bring it up to snuff with the NCAA?

I would guess lighting and press accomodations (which could probably be engineered at the last minute with open air accomodation)? Is anything else that crucial? What can we do to encourage these improvements to occur THIS offseason? Who should we talk to?

More shade at the Tigue would also be nice. One nice thing about Olsen was abundance of shade. The Tigue could extend the overhang with some aluminum cover similar to Olsen. Maybe provide a similar cover over the 1st and 3rd base line bleachers as well. That would make the Tigue much more fan friendly for those hot April/May home games. Alternative could be to play the Saturday conference games at night-6:30. instead of 2:00.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard
    _ Since next year has the potential to be even better and presumably be in the running to host. What HAS to happen to the Tigue during THIS off-season in order to bring it up to snuff with the NCAA?

I would guess lighting and press accomodations (which could probably be engineered at the last minute with open air accomodation)? Is anything else that crucial? What can we do to encourage these improvements to occur THIS offseason? Who should we talk to?

More shade at the Tigue would also be nice. One nice thing about Olsen was abundance of shade. The Tigue could extend the overhang with some aluminum cover similar to Olsen. Maybe provide a similar cover over the 1st and 3rd base line bleachers as well. That would make the Tigue much more fan friendly for those hot April/May home games. Alternative could be to play the Saturday conference games at night-6:30. instead of 2:00.

Thoughts? _
    The playing surface will be done in the off-season. The lights will be the biggest deal after that since there are minimum light standards that go into effect next season.

The press facility has to happen, but that won't happen by next year, not if you want to do it right. Gotta figure out a plan for auxilliary media seating.

We host the Sun Belt Tournament next year, so we'll get a trial run as far as the press is concerned.

_ The playing surface will be done in the off-season. The lights will be the biggest deal after that since there are minimum light standards that go into effect next season.

The press facility has to happen, but that won't happen by next year, not if you want to do it right. Gotta figure out a plan for auxilliary media seating.

We host the Sun Belt Tournament next year, so we'll get a trial run as far as the press is concerned. _
    Are there any plans to expand the stadium as far as seating is concerned? I know it takes a lot of money, but are there any firm plans that you know of?

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

_ The playing surface will be done in the off-season. The lights will be the biggest deal after that since there are minimum light standards that go into effect next season.

We host the Sun Belt Tournament next year, so we'll get a trial run as far as the press is concerned. _
    Are they gonna put down that field turf stuff like someone had mentioned, or is it gonna be a grading of the field with new grass planted???

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by cajunproud
    _ Are there any plans to expand the stadium as far as seating is concerned? I know it takes a lot of money, but are there any firm plans that you know of? _
    I don't think that we need to spend too much more money on seats just yet, at least until we are averaging 3200-3500 per game. I know it would look better for regional purposes, but if we hosted OSU and LM, and had a team like the Aggies come in, I think we would have been able to handle it. The games would likely have been sold out.but i think that we would have made it through.

And if seating were to be done, I would think that it needs to go up and back, and maybe out a little. I would hate to have a grandstand extended outwards where the bleachers are located, just because they're new and we spent somem hard earned money on them, but I think an outward expansion of the press box, with suites on the outside of that, with another grandstand built on top, similar to what i think USM is doing, would be what we need. if we get more seats, we need a lot more of the good ones, not more of the bleacher ones. Plus going up and back with the grandstand would also help with making more room for the concessions, and restrooms. If somehow the grandstand was extended towards the right field bleachers, then something could be done there, such as some lockerrooms, to accomodate the visiting teams, and it could link up with the dugout. It would be hard to do it on the left field side because the only walkway from teh grandstand area and those baseline seats is between the bleachers and the cajuns clubhouse.

All just ideas, but like i said, can't seat expanding seating anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux
    _ I don't think that we need to spend too much more money on seats just yet, at least until we are averaging 3200-3500 per game. I know it would look better for regional purposes, but if we hosted OSU and LM, and had a team like the Aggies come in, I think we would have been able to handle it. The games would likely have been sold out.but i think that we would have made it through.

And if seating were to be done, I would think that it needs to go up and back, and maybe out a little. I would hate to have a grandstand extended outwards where the bleachers are located, just because they're new and we spent somem hard earned money on them, but I think an outward expansion of the press box, with suites on the outside of that, with another grandstand built on top, similar to what i think USM is doing, would be what we need. if we get more seats, we need a lot more of the good ones, not more of the bleacher ones. Plus going up and back with the grandstand would also help with making more room for the concessions, and restrooms. If somehow the grandstand was extended towards the right field bleachers, then something could be done there, such as some lockerrooms, to accomodate the visiting teams, and it could link up with the dugout. It would be hard to do it on the left field side because the only walkway from teh grandstand area and those baseline seats is between the bleachers and the cajusn clubhouse.

All just ideas, but like i said, can't seat expanding seating anytime soon. _
    Great ideas. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information