Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BB 2007: Hosting or Not?

Default BB 2007: Hosting or Not?

11. San Diego idel. Must not go 2 and bar-b-que in their tourney.
    12. Virgina game post-poned. Pretty decent shot.
    13. UL won. getting stronger with every win. May need to win the tourney.
    14. Ole Miss lost. Falling out , 2 loses to Arkansas in a row.
    15. Miami won. Small chance, must win their tourney.
    16. Arkansas won. Most likely will host
    17. Missoruri won. Still has a good shot
    18. Clemson lost. Falling out.
    19. No. Car. St. won. Moving up, has taken 2 in a row over Clemson.
    20. Miss St. won. Still in the hunt.
    21. Wichita St. won. Won't move up this weekend, playing # 144 Ill St.

Geaux Cajuns. Sweep first!

Default Re: Teams competing with UL for a host site

Of the above 11 teams, 6 teams will get the remaining 6 host sites. The teams in the RPI top 10 are almost locks. Of the remaining 11, I see San Diego, Virginia, Arkansas, and Missouri getting host sites. That leaves 2 spots left. For the final 2 spots, I see UL, Ole Miss, N. Car. St., and Miss St. fighting it out.

Brian what do you think?

3. UL Baseball Re: Teams competing with UL for a host site

Quote Originally Posted by J-Town Cajun
    11. San Diego idel. Must not go 2 and bar-b-que in their tourney.
    12. Virgina game post-poned. Pretty decent shot.
    13. UL won. getting stronger with every win. May need to win the tourney.
    14. Ole Miss lost. Falling out , 2 loses to Arkansas in a row.
    15. Miami won. Small chance, must win their tourney.
    16. Arkansas won. Most likely will host
    17. Missoruri won. Still has a good shot
    18. Clemson lost. Falling out.
    19. No. Car. St. won. Moving up, has taken 2 in a row over Clemson.
    20. Miss St. won. Still in the hunt.
    21. Wichita St. won. Won't move up this weekend, playing # 144 Ill St.

Geaux Cajuns. Sweep first!
    Ole Miss defeated Arkansas last night. The Cajuns need Arkansas to win again tomorrow.

Brian

4. UL Baseball Re: Teams competing with UL for a host site

Of the above 11 teams, 6 teams will get the remaining 6 host sites. The teams in the RPI top 10 are almost locks. Of the remaining 11, I see San Diego, Virginia, Arkansas, and Missouri getting host sites. That leaves 2 spots left. For the final 2 spots, I see UL, Ole Miss, N. Car. St., and Miss St. fighting it out.

Brian what do you think?
    This all assumes that the NCAA deems the Cajun facilities as adequate to host.

I think you are close. But I think you are missing Wichita State as a host. Even as a #2 seed, I think they have an excellent chance to host.

Locks:
    Rice
    Vanderbilt
    Texas
    Florida State
    Arizona State

Nearly a lock:
    North Carolina
    Long Beach State

Looking Good:
    South Carolina
    Texas A&M

Better than Even Shot:
    San Diego
    Arkansas
    Virginia
    Coastal Carolina (may need to win 2/3 vs. Winthrop to win Big South, lost game #1 tonight - in danger of falling into the lower tier)

50/50
    Missouri (will host if they finish second in the Big XII)
    Wichita State (needs to win MVC and not tank the conference tournament)

Fighting for the last host spot
    Louisiana
    Mississippi
    Mississippi State
    North Carolina State
    Clemson
    Miami

Miami and North Carolina State need to improve their ACC record and go on a run in the ACC Tournament to have a chance at hosting. They will not host where they are now. The ACC should get three host regionals (FSU, NC, and UVA) and may get a fourth (Clemson, NCSU, Miami). At this point, I think they get three.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin
    _ Ole Miss defeated Arkansas last night. The Cajuns need Arkansas to win again tomorrow.

Brian _
    According to the NCAA.com board, Arkansas came back and scored 3 runs in the 10th to win 4-3.

6. UL Baseball Re: Teams competing with UL for a host site

According to the NCAA.com board, Arkansas came back and scored 3 runs in the 10th to win 4-3.
    Yes, I messed up what I meant to say (notice I did say that Arkansas needs to win again tomorrow).

You had said that "Ole Miss lost. Falling out , 2 loses to Arkansas in a row.". What I meant to say was that Ole Miss won the first game (Friday night).

Brian

Mr. Brian u said something that kinda seems strange.Why would the NCAA think the TIGUE would not be adequete to host? We have made many improvements since we last hosted in 2000. Is it just that so have every other top teams in the nation have also made improvements? Just curious and thanks for your insites this season and every other season they are trully invaluable.JMVCAJUNS

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS
    _ Mr. Brian u said something that kinda seems strange.Why would the NCAA think the TIGUE would not be adequete to host? We have made many improvements since we last hosted in 2000. Is it just that so other top teams in the nation have also made improvements? Just curious and thanks for your insites this season and every other season they are trully invaluable.JMVCAJUNS _

The food and hospitality that our local Cajun folks provide will go a long way.

10. UL Baseball Re: Teams competing with UL for a host site

Mr. Brian u said something that kinda seems strange.Why would the NCAA think the TIGUE would not be adequete to host? We have made many improvements since we last hosted in 2000. Is it just that so have every other top teams in the nation have also made improvements? Just curious and thanks for your insites this season and every other season they are trully invaluable.JMVCAJUNS
    I hope you do not have the impression that I brought this up out of the blue. This has been discussed at length by several folks for several weeks . IOW, nothing new.

Well, it is both.

First, facilities have greatly improved nationally since 2000. Jay has noted on several occasions that the Cajuns are in the middle of the pack with respect to facilities in the Sun Belt.

Second, you mention that many improvements have been made since hosting in 2000. This is true. But there are a lot of problems with Tigue Moore Field and it needs substantial investment to fix these problems (field, locker rooms, press box, and lighting to name a few).

Unless the Cajuns upgrade the lighting system, they will not be able to host in 2008 when new lighting standards go into effect.

As for this season, the press box is a real problem. It is not large enough to house the required number of media. In 2000, a press table was setup in the grandstand outside the press box to house additional media. But now there is chairback seating throughout the grandstand. A solution will be needed here.

TV accommodations are also not up to par. This is much more important than in 2000 as televised regionals are much more prevalent. Several regionals will be televised nationally and locally, along with live look-ins.

In summary, I am not saying that the NCAA will deem the Cajuns' facility inadequate to host. But it will be part of the discussion and the Cajuns could be passed over because of the facility shortcomings that do exist.

Brian

This is so COOL Re: Teams competing with UL for a host site

_ I hope you do not have the impression that I brought this up out of the blue. This has been discussed at length by several folks for several weeks . IOW, nothing new.

Well, it is both.

First, facilities have greatly improved nationally since 2000. Jay has noted on several occasions that the Cajuns are in the middle of the pack with respect to facilities in the Sun Belt.

Second, you mention that many improvements have been made since hosting in 2000. This is true. But there are a lot of problems with Tigue Moore Field and it needs substantial investment to fix these problems (field, locker rooms, press box, and lighting to name a few).

Unless the Cajuns upgrade the lighting system, they will not be able to host in 2008 when new lighting standards go into effect.

As for this season, the press box is a real problem. It is not large enough to house the required number of media. In 2000, a press table was setup in the grandstand outside the press box to house additional media. But now there is chairback seating throughout the grandstand. A solution will be needed here.

TV accommodations are also not up to par. This is much more important than in 2000 as televised regionals are much more prevalent. Several regionals will be televised nationally and locally, along with live look-ins.

Brian _
    Gone is saying the obvious, unless you are making real improvements not just cosmetics you are falling behind. The Tigue made serious improvements with the two metal grandstands. The Lourdes park is cosmetic and very nice. We, the team, would have been better served by having the field improvements, lights or other important things happen.

Folks if you expect UL to stay up with the rest of college baseball, softball, football whatever you need to open your wallets, talk to your friends. It is up to you and me. Improve or fail.

_ I hope you do not have the impression that I brought this up out of the blue. This has been discussed at length by several folks for several weeks . IOW, nothing new.

Well, it is both.

In summary, I am not saying that the NCAA will deem the Cajuns' facility inadequate to host. But it will be part of the discussion and the Cajuns could be passed over because of the facility shortcomings that do exist.

Brian _
    Brian are we really in the middle of the pack in the sunbelt? I thought that we had one of the best stadiums in the sunbelt with seating,etc?

13. UL Baseball Re: Teams competing with UL for a host site

Brian are we really in the middle of the pack in the sunbelt? I thought that we had one of the best stadiums in the sunbelt with seating,etc?
    This is a perfect example of why Jay feels that it would not necessarily be a bad thing for the Cajuns to earn a #1 seed, but get sent on the road because the facilities are not up to snuff. That is, people will finally become aware of the stadium and field problems and rally to solve the funding problems.

Yes, Jay can provide more info since he has seen all of the parks, but the Cajuns are in the next tier of parks in the Sun Belt. At minimum, you are probably looking at Tigue Moore below the tier of South Alabama, Troy, Middle Tennessee (with the offseason improvements), and Western Kentucky to start.

Brian

_ This is a perfect example of why Jay feels that it would not necessarily be a bad thing for the Cajuns to earn a #1 seed, but get sent on the road because the facilities are not up to snuff. That is, people will finally become aware of the stadium and field problems and rally to solve the funding problems.

Yes, Jay can provide more info since he has seen all of the parks, but the Cajuns are in the next tier of parks in the Sun Belt. At minimum, you are probably looking at Tigue Moore below the tier of South Alabama, Troy, Middle Tennessee (with the offseason improvements), and Western Kentucky to start.

Brian _
    I DIDN'T KNOW WE WHERE THAT FAR DOWN THE LINE IN THE SUN BELT.HOPEFULLY WITH A NEW PRESIDENT AND A NEW A/D IN THE FUTURE WE CAN UPGRADE THAT WAY THERE WILL BE NO QUESTION WHAT OUR STATUS OF THE FIELD IS.WINNING CURES A LOT OF PROBLEMS AND I THINK EVERYONE INCLUDING ME NEEDS TO CONTIBUTE TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Well, it would be better to actually host the regional as a #1 seed. But, I agree with Jay that it would be a possible "awakening" if we were a #1, but sent to another site, due to the Tigue deficiencies.

My problem with talking about "give more" and all other funding talk, is that we will never make extraordinary improvements without doing something extraordinary. I commend Gerald Hebert and all for their incredible, tireless efforts. But, every school is doing the same things that we announce as monumental improvements. ties to advertisers, alumni donations, this and that being repaired/improved and so on, etc, etc.

The only thing that will improve all facilities, salaries, etc and increase our status is a new method of funding. (Everyone needs to cut the speech about WINNING takes care of everything. every program has that as THEIR number one objective as well. duh).

Again, every school is doing what we do, saying what we say, and doing patchwork improvements. Those that leap ahead of the pack (other than the traditional goliaths) either have very wealthy alumni dumping money on them, or they do private funding that gives benefits to its members.

Every time mention of a TAF-like organization gets mentioned here or elsewhere, someone submarines the discussion by saying something about "we have private funding" and "just give more". IT DOES NOT WORK LIKE THAT! You have to take the risk of loaning power out to people that you want money from. Someone knows this but does not want to share that power. Do I know that for a fact? No. If I am incorrect. what is the excuse?

UL cannot lean on the same click year after year and expect to leap from the pack. If we are trying to gain ground on our competition, we have to ask. what are we doing or not doing exceptionally better than them, and what are those who are having exceptional results doing? Lafayette and Acadiana are unique over almost every location that other universities call home.

I sometimes think that we couldn't try to hold things back and get any less results. Hire a marketing genius at whatever cost, go ahead and light the fuse (don't be scared) and let the rocket take flight!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information