Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BB 2007: Hosting or Not?

This is so COOL Re: Teams competing with UL for a host site

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More
    _ Well, it would be better to actually host the regional as a #1 seed. But, I agree with Jay that it would be a possible "awakening" if we were a #1, but sent to another site, due to the Tigue deficiencies.

My problem with talking about "give more" and all other funding talk, is that we will never make extraordinary improvements without doing something extraordinary. I commend Gerald Hebert and all for their incredible, tireless efforts. But, every school is doing the same things that we announce as monumental improvements. ties to advertisers, alumni donations, this and that being repaired/improved and so on, etc, etc.

The only thing that will improve all facilities, salaries, etc and increase our status is a new method of funding. (Everyone needs to cut the speech about WINNING takes care of everything. every program has that as THEIR number one objective as well. duh).

Again, every school is doing what we do, saying what we say, and doing patchwork improvements. Those that leap ahead of the pack (other than the traditional goliaths) either have very wealthy alumni dumping money on them, or they do private funding that gives benefits to its members.

Every time mention of a TAF-like organization gets mentioned here or elsewhere, someone submarines the discussion by saying something about "we have private funding" and "just give more". IT DOES NOT WORK LIKE THAT! You have to take the risk of loaning power out to people that you want money from. Someone knows this but does not want to share that power. Do I know that for a fact? No. If I am incorrect. what is the excuse?

UL cannot lean on the same click year after year and expect to leap from the pack. If we are trying to gain ground on our competition, we have to ask. what are we doing or not doing exceptionally better than them, and what are those who are having exceptional results doing? Lafayette and Acadiana are unique over almost every location that other universities call home.

I sometimes think that we couldn't try to hold things back and get any less results. Hire a marketing genius at whatever cost, go ahead and light the fuse (don't be scared) and let the rocket take flight! _
    Another thing about having the thing out of control of the administration would be transparency. Every dollar would have to be accounted for both as receipts and expenditures to the members. I doubt anyone on this board can tell you a single thing about the Ragin'Cajun Club finances and would be hard pressed to be able to even find out about same. I contribute every year and have never ever been given the slightest information back. Now you have to request a receipt.

2. Default Re: Teams competing with UL for a host site

The SEC always gets 4 host schools so look for Ole Miss and Miss St to fight it out for the 4th spot. I think you are in a good spot to get one thanks to LSU. Yes LSU. Because they are not anywhere in the picture the committee might look at that as a plus for attendance when hosting. The last senerio will be UL being a number 1 seed but being sent to Oxford or Starkville.

3. Default Re: Teams competing with UL for a host site

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin
    _ I hope you do not have the impression that I brought this up out of the blue. This has been discussed at length by several folks for several weeks . IOW, nothing new.

Well, it is both.

First, facilities have greatly improved nationally since 2000. Jay has noted on several occasions that the Cajuns are in the middle of the pack with respect to facilities in the Sun Belt.

Second, you mention that many improvements have been made since hosting in 2000. This is true. But there are a lot of problems with Tigue Moore Field and it needs substantial investment to fix these problems (field, locker rooms, press box, and lighting to name a few).

Unless the Cajuns upgrade the lighting system, they will not be able to host in 2008 when new lighting standards go into effect.

As for this season, the press box is a real problem. It is not large enough to house the required number of media. In 2000, a press table was setup in the grandstand outside the press box to house additional media. But now there is chairback seating throughout the grandstand. A solution will be needed here.

TV accommodations are also not up to par. This is much more important than in 2000 as televised regionals are much more prevalent. Several regionals will be televised nationally and locally, along with live look-ins.

In summary, I am not saying that the NCAA will deem the Cajuns' facility inadequate to host. But it will be part of the discussion and the Cajuns could be passed over because of the facility shortcomings that do exist.

Brian _

Brian:

I was under the impression that the new NCAA facilities guidlines would not go into effect until next year. If this is accurate wouldn't facilities as an issue be less weighted when determining regional sites for 2007? Perhaps we might get in under the wire so to speak.

thanks

Digger

4. UL Baseball Re: Teams competing with UL for a host site

Quote Originally Posted by Digger
    Brian:

I was under the impression that the new NCAA facilities guidlines would not go into effect until next year. If this is accurate wouldn't facilities as an issue be less weighted when determining regional sites for 2007? Perhaps we might get in under the wire so to speak.

thanks

Digger
    As mentioned, the lighting standards do not go into effect until 2008. But there are other items that are standard fare for adequately hosting a regional. For example, the NCAA will expect that the press and TV will be accommodated at a level expected of an NCAA regional. They will not relax this. Now, maybe UL has this solved and maybe the NCAA will deem it acceptable. But it is a question mark.

There are other issues that are considerations by the NCAA committee that are not necessarily facilities related but are host related. For example, hotel rooms. While this will not be a problem in Lafayette this time of year, last season Oklahoma State lost a host regional because there was a problem booking enough hotel rooms in the Stillwater area (conflict with some other event). The Cowboys traveled to Arkansas as a #1 seed as a result.

Brian

5. UL Baseball Re: Teams competing with UL for a host site

Add Arizona as a team that could very well earn the West a fourth regional.

Texas A&M took a hit today. Unless they pick it up in the Big XII Tournament, they may be traveling and could be a #2 seed as well.

This all assumes that the NCAA deems the Cajun facilities as adequate to host.

I think you are close. But I think you are missing Wichita State as a host. Even as a #2 seed, I think they have an excellent chance to host.

Locks:
    Rice
    Vanderbilt
    Texas
    Florida State
    Arizona State

Nearly a lock:
    North Carolina
    Long Beach State

Looking Good:
    South Carolina
    Texas A&M

Better than Even Shot:
    San Diego
    Arkansas
    Virginia
    Coastal Carolina (may need to win 2/3 vs. Winthrop to win Big South, lost game #1 tonight - in danger of falling into the lower tier)

50/50
    Missouri (will host if they finish second in the Big XII)
    Wichita State (needs to win MVC and not tank the conference tournament)

Fighting for the last host spot
    Louisiana
    Mississippi
    Mississippi State
    North Carolina State
    Clemson
    Miami

Miami and North Carolina State need to improve their ACC record and go on a run in the ACC Tournament to have a chance at hosting. They will not host where they are now. The ACC should get three host regionals (FSU, NC, and UVA) and may get a fourth (Clemson, NCSU, Miami). At this point, I think they get three.

Brian

Default Re: Teams competing with UL for a host site

_ This is a perfect example of why Jay feels that it would not necessarily be a bad thing for the Cajuns to earn a #1 seed, but get sent on the road because the facilities are not up to snuff. That is, people will finally become aware of the stadium and field problems and rally to solve the funding problems.

Yes, Jay can provide more info since he has seen all of the parks, but the Cajuns are in the next tier of parks in the Sun Belt. At minimum, you are probably looking at Tigue Moore below the tier of South Alabama, Troy, Middle Tennessee (with the offseason improvements), and Western Kentucky to start.

Brian _
    Well, since everyone keeps bringing up my name:

Here are my thoughts of the Sun Belt Facilities.

ARKANSAS STATE--Horrible. Haven't put a dime into that park since they built it, except to replace the press box glass when it gets shattered by a foul ball. Decent press facility as long as you arent picking glass out of your hair.

UALR--Put 1.6 million into their facility two years ago. Replaced the artificial turf, added a new scoreboard and a climate controlled hitting facility. Made some cosmetic improvements as well. But the park is still the dividing line between the bloods and the crips. Not good.

FIU--University Park underwent a 3 million dollar facelift about five years ago. It's a nice park. Too bad no one in Miami ever sees it.

FAU--Haven't seen it. I've heard it isn't very good.

ULM--Even though it's pretty much the same as when it was built, it's a good facility. Fans are elevated, field is nice, press facility is adequate. Has a visitors locker room that you can go into through the dugout.

UL--Great atmosphere and lots of cosmetic changes. Lighting is inadequate, locker room is too small, no coaches offices, inadequate restroom and concession facilities, the field has a canyon behind third base and the press box is Southland Conference quality, which is to say, it's terrible.

MT--When they finish, it will be very, very good. 4.5 million goes a long way.

WKU--Was the worst in the league, now it's one of the better ones. New bleachers with chairbacks, new scoreboard, bullpens are cut into the outfield wall, press box (FINALLY) that's adequate. Good cosmetic changes as well.

TROY--Nice yard if the fences weren't so short. They put a couple of million into the facility a few years ago and are getting ready to put in a couple more. Moving the left field fence back, constructing a 25' wall in right. New locker facilities on the way. Press box is more than adequate.

UNO--Katrina really set them back. Old park in need of a lot of improvements. Decent press facility, but (temporary) lights are bad, fence needs work, not many chairback seats. They need to put some money into what was once a really good college ballpark.

USA--Got told more than once that Eddie Stanky Field was inadequate to host a regional (no chairbacks, old wooden bleachers, press facility not real good, etc. etc. etc.). They put about five million into it two years ago and now it is a facility that is the best in the Sun Belt. Outstanding press facility with four separate radio booths, brand new seating, state of the art clubhouse. The only thing I would have done differently is, instead of making a "club level" for supporters below the press box, I would have added individual luxury seats.

I found it interesting that a couple of posters have pointed fingers at Dr. A or a lack of an athletic foundation for reasons why this hasn't gotten done.

Quit making excuses and look in the mirror. That's where it all begins.

You want it? Build it.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise
    _ Well, since everyone keeps bringing up my name:

Here are my thoughts of the Sun Belt Facilities.

ARKANSAS STATE--Horrible. Haven't put a dime into that park since they built it, except to replace the press box glass when it gets shattered by a foul ball. Decent press facility as long as you arent picking glass out of your hair.

UALR--Put 1.6 million into their facility two years ago. Replaced the artificial turf, added a new scoreboard and a climate controlled hitting facility. Made some cosmetic improvements as well. But the park is still the dividing line between the bloods and the crips. Not good.

FIU--University Park underwent a 3 million dollar facelift about five years ago. It's a nice park. Too bad no one in Miami ever sees it.

FAU--Haven't seen it. I've heard it isn't very good.

ULM--Even though it's pretty much the same as when it was built, it's a good facility. Fans are elevated, field is nice, press facility is adequate. Has a visitors locker room that you can go into through the dugout.

UL--Great atmosphere and lots of cosmetic changes. Lighting is inadequate, locker room is too small, no coaches offices, inadequate restroom and concession facilities, the field has a canyon behind third base and the press box is Southland Conference quality, which is to say, it's terrible.

MT--When they finish, it will be very, very good. 4.5 million goes a long way.

WKU--Was the worst in the league, now it's one of the better ones. New bleachers with chairbacks, new scoreboard, bullpens are cut into the outfield wall, press box (FINALLY) that's adequate. Good cosmetic changes as well.

TROY--Nice yard if the fences weren't so short. They put a couple of million into the facility a few years ago and are getting ready to put in a couple more. Moving the left field fence back, constructing a 25' wall in right. New locker facilities on the way. Press box is more than adequate.

UNO--Katrina really set them back. Old park in need of a lot of improvements. Decent press facility, but (temporary) lights are bad, fence needs work, not many chairback seats. They need to put some money into what was once a really good college ballpark.

USA--Got told more than once that Eddie Stanky Field was inadequate to host a regional (no chairbacks, old wooden bleachers, press facility not real good, etc. etc. etc.). They put about five million into it two years ago and now it is a facility that is the best in the Sun Belt. Outstanding press facility with four separate radio booths, brand new seating, state of the art clubhouse. The only thing I would have done differently is, instead of making a "club level" for supporters below the press box, I would have added individual luxury seats.

I found it interesting that a couple of posters have pointed fingers at Dr. A or a lack of an athletic foundation for reasons why this hasn't gotten done.

You want it? Build it. _

Dr. A is exactly the reason things haven't been done in the realm of athletics, including lack of a private athletic foundation.

I can only speak for myself when I say that I give as much as I possibly can to the athletic department.

Here's something for you to chew on: I am a UL (then USL) graduate, but I spent my first year as a scholarship athlete at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale. Every year for the last 8 to 10 years, I get at least two phone calls a year from SIU's athletic foundation (actually students) asking if I want to donate. I very politely tell them that I did not graduate from there and I give to UL. Yet every year I get the phone calls. Do you know how many calls I have received from UL asking for my support, or better yet, saying thank you for the support that I give. NOT ONE FREAKIN CALL I still give and always will, but all this BS I hear coming from you about how this town doesn't support the school in horse s _ _ t. The reason this town hasn't supported UL athletically for years is because for years it wasn't allowed to, and that is the plain simple truth.

Admitedly, things have gotten a lot better since Gerald has been involved, but we and UL still need to do a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunproud
    _ Dr. A is exactly the reason things haven't been done in the realm of athletics, including lack of a private athletic foundation.

I can only speak for myself when I say that I give as much as I possibly can to the athletic department.

Here's something for you to chew on: I am a UL (then USL) graduate, but I spent my first year as a scholarship athlete at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale. Every year for the last 8 to 10 years, I get at least two phone calls a year from SIU's athletic foundation (actually students) asking if I want to donate. I very politely tell them that I did not graduate from there and I give to UL. Yet every year I get the phone calls. Do you know how many calls I have received from UL asking for my support, or better yet, saying thank you for the support that I give. NOT ONE FREAKIN CALL I still give and always will, but all this BS I hear coming from you about how this town doesn't support the school in horse s _ _ t. The reason this town hasn't supported UL athletically for years is because for years it wasn't allowed to, and that is the plain simple truth.

Admitedly, things have gotten a lot better since Gerald has been involved, but we and UL still need to do a lot better. _
    please don't misunderstand my post. I consistently hear why things haven't been done in the past, and I agree with much that has been said.

Having said that, now I'm hearing the same things about why things can't get done in the future. (Dr. A, no athletic foundation, etc.)

To those I say, it can be done. But it starts with folks not using those things as excuses.

I'm sure the University appreciates every dime you've ever given.

Now we're talking about facility improvements for baseball. And everyone that has something to spare can do their part without the same tired built in excuses.

please don't misunderstand my post. I consistently hear why things haven't been done in the past, and I agree with much that has been said.

Having said that, now I'm hearing the same things about why things can't get done in the future. (Dr. A, no athletic foundation, etc.)

To those I say, it can be done. But it starts with folks not using those things as excuses.

I'm sure the University appreciates every dime you've ever given.

Now we're talking about facility improvements for baseball. And everyone that has something to spare can do their part without the same tired built in excuses.
    How much do you give BOP?

Allow me to chime in. I have Season tickets to everything UL. Baseball, basketball and football Next year i think I will need to add women's softball cause those ladies deserve support as well

That's the extent of my contributions Why? Cause I don't know anywhere else to contribute. I am not wealthy but I'm not hurting either. i can't afford a "IHateLaState" endowment (although doesn't that sound like a great name). I would happily contribute to something that would benefit the university. especially to baseball which has been my college sport of choice since the days when i could pull an ice chest into the left field bleacher area (point being I am not a 2000 College World Series convert to UL baseball)

I work for a living which means I am not leadership material for such an endeavor But lead and I shall follow. I think there are many more out here BoP that will gladly write a check if they simply knew where to write it.

This is so COOL Re: Teams competing with UL for a host site

Quote Originally Posted by cajunproud
    _ Dr. A is exactly the reason things haven't been done in the realm of athletics, including lack of a private athletic foundation.

Admitedly, things have gotten a lot better since Gerald has been involved, but we and UL still need to do a lot better. _
    Leadership is sadly lacking. BOP quick don't look it up, tell me the last time the RCC sent out anything to it's members showing the financial condition of the club, expenses, payments, leadership, funds within the club, goals. In fact I was told that I have to ask for a receipt on my contributions for tax purposes, that is just plain wrong.

I think the point is that the RCC has most of the important leaders both from being able to contribute large amounts and positions of leadership in the UL family, yet it does not happen in the RCC. That would not happen in a private foundation run by those same people. IMO they are too close to the president, and the others are employees of the president. Yes we should form without the president so I agree we are all somewhat hypocritical. That still does not mean our leaders are doing the right things, the best things.

I have always said Dr. Authement should have been proactive and pushed others to form this type of private club once he stabilized things after the 72 NCAA sanctions. The private club could have been formed with protection for the university, it seems to work at some of the most successful universities in the NCAA.

You may think I am off base, but I can assure you that if the university had ten thousand like me this discussion would not even be happening, and I am not contributing in five figures, but do my share. There could be ten thousand like me, but unlike me many of those need cultivation, they are more like flowers, and I am more like a weed. They spray me with Roundup on a regular basis but I always come back next season.

12. Default Re: Teams competing with UL for a host site

Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState
    That's the extent of my contributions Why? Cause I don't know anywhere else to contribute. I am not wealthy but I'm not hurting either. i can't afford a "IHateLaState" endowment (although doesn't that sound like a great name). I would happily contribute to something that would benefit the university. especially to baseball which has been my college sport of choice since the days when i could pull an ice chest into the left field bleacher area (point being I am not a 2000 College World Series convert to UL baseball)

I think there are many more out here BoP that will gladly write a check if they simply knew where to write it. _
    http://www.uoflgifts.com/site16.php

Giving to Specific Teams

Donors who have special interest in supporting our coaches and student-athletes in a particular sport are welcomed to designate their gifts to that sport. An endowed gift in support of any team can be made through the Ragin' Cajun Athletic Endowment. If you are interested in supporting any of the teams listed below, please contact Gerald Hebert.

Baseball
    Men's Basketball
    Women's Basketball
    Cross Country
    Football
    Golf
    Women's Soccer
    Softball
    Tennis
    Track & Field
    Volleyball
    For more information about making a gift in support of Ragin' Cajun Athletics, please contact Gerald Hebert, Coordinator of Athletic Development, at (337) 482-0922 or click on the link below to send him an email.

Email Gerald Hebert

13. Default Re: Teams competing with UL for a host site

_ And everyone that has something to spare can do their part without the same tired built in excuses. _
    Not sure this is the place for accusing people of making excuses and not doing their part. I believe most of us on this board do what we can.

Quote Originally Posted by UL Ragin Cajun
    _ Not sure this is the place for accusing people of making excuses and not doing their part. I believe most of us on this board do what we can. _
    You misunderstood my point as well. I have NEVER said that there are people not doing their part.

What I did say is that people on this board blame the same two things for things not getting done in the pastDr. A and the lack of a separate foundation.

My point is that, while those may have been legit reasons in the past, they aren't now. There's no reason why fundraising for improved facilities can't take place.

15. Default Re: Teams competing with UL for a host site

_ I have NEVER said that there are people not doing their part.
    Not sure how I can misunderstand these two quotes but if what you're saying is that it's not what you meant then I can understand that.
    "Quit making excuses and look in the mirror. That's where it all begins."

"And everyone that has something to spare can do their part without the same tired built in excuses."

What I did say is that people on this board blame the same two things for things not getting done in the pastDr. A and the lack of a separate foundation.

My point is that, while those may have been legit reasons in the past, they aren't now. There's no reason why fundraising for improved facilities can't take place. _
    I also understand this and agree.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information