Thread: Pitching for remainder of season

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

UL Baseball Pitching for remainder of season

Was just throwing some things around, and curious how the pitching rotation may work itself out for next weekend, the conference tournament, and the regional (albeit probably too far away to predict right now).

According to tony, solich will go tomorrow night. he also said that since BG was doing better, look for him to go Saturday. does that mean that Moody is moving to Friday, with sunday still "open".or will DF go Friday with HM going sunday. Actually i just realized/remembered that for this week, Sunday (GAME 3) is going to be Saturday. so that kinda answers that.

So this week we go Solich (Tu), Farquar (Th), Moody (Fr), and Glass (Sa). do we go into the conference tournament with pretty much the same order? I imagine that since the first game is on a wednesday, that we won't have Buddy come back and pitch three days later, but Farquar could go in G1, and keep a guy like Solich in the pen for long relief or if we end up in the loser's bracket.

i would think that the G1 question for the regional would be Glass/Moody/Farquar, as opposed to whether or not solich will get the G1 start. Not that I don't trust Solich, but if he was better than the others, then he would have been the Weekend starter all season. I think the matchup might determine it, but you would want your best, hottest guy to get you that first win, and hopefully save your bully.

Its kind of a tricky deal, as we probably all know. You reverse pitch the conf. tourney or regional, and win the first one, and you're a genius. If you lose, that really sucks, but at least you've got your better pitchers coming up to get you out, but you better hope they're not off either.

2. UL Baseball Re: Pitching for remainder of season

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux
    i would think that the G1 question for the regional would be Glass/Moody/Farquar, as opposed to whether or not solich will get the G1 start.
    Solich does not start one of the first three games of a regional.

I think the call as to who gets the ball in game 1 of a regional will come down to where the Cajuns are seeded, who they play in game 1, and how Tony feels the Cajun starters match up against that team. It will also depend on whether or not Tony thinks the bullpen is set with Harmon, Pilgreen, Laughter, and Robichaux (Solich may start or provide middle relief). I like what I have seen thus far. All four pitchers are in the 90's with good sliders, while some also include a changeup.

Brian

3. Default Re: Pitching for remainder of season

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin
    _ Solich does not start one of the first three games of a regional.

I think the call as to who gets the ball in game 1 of a regional will come down to where the Cajuns are seeded, who they play in game 1, and how Tony feels the Cajun starters match up against that team. It will also depend on whether or not Tony thinks the bullpen is set with Harmon, Pilgreen, Laughter, and Robichaux (Solich may start or provide middle relief). I like what I have seen thus far. All four pitchers are in the 90's with good sliders, while some also include a changeup.

Brian _
    What has happened to Zorich, he pitched fairly well early in the year and has almost been unheard from lately.

4. Default Re: Pitching for remainder of season

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux
    _ Was just throwing some things around, and curious how the pitching rotation may work itself out for next weekend, the conference tournament, and the regional (albeit probably too far away to predict right now).

According to tony, solich will go tomorrow night. he also said that since BG was doing better, look for him to go Saturday. does that mean that Moody is moving to Friday, with sunday still "open".or will DF go Friday with HM going sunday. Actually i just realized/remembered that for this week, Sunday (GAME 3) is going to be Saturday. so that kinda answers that.

So this week we go Solich (Tu), Farquar (Th), Moody (Fr), and Glass (Sa). do we go into the conference tournament with pretty much the same order? I imagine that since the first game is on a wednesday, that we won't have Buddy come back and pitch three days later, but Farquar could go in G1, and keep a guy like Solich in the pen for long relief or if we end up in the loser's bracket.

i would think that the G1 question for the regional would be Glass/Moody/Farquar, as opposed to whether or not solich will get the G1 start. Not that I don't trust Solich, but if he was better than the others, then he would have been the Weekend starter all season. I think the matchup might determine it, but you would want your best, hottest guy to get you that first win, and hopefully save your bully.

Its kind of a tricky deal, as we probably all know. You reverse pitch the conf. tourney or regional, and win the first one, and you're a genius. If you lose, that really sucks, but at least you've got your better pitchers coming up to get you out, but you better hope they're not off either. _

I don't think we even start worrying about Regional play and pitching rotations yet.

I think in the SBC tournament, Glass, Moody and Farquar are your starters, and you don't worry about the rotation until you know who you are playing. Matchups, etc. But you plan on starting those three in some order.

Out of the pen you will have Laughter, Harmon, Solich and Robe and close the games out with Pilgreen.

The question marks or X factors if you will are Zorich, Mickles and Wilborn. If you are up big and can afford to put them in the game and rest one of your better arms for another game, you do so.

5. Default Re: Pitching for remainder of season

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDave
    _ I don't think we even start worrying about Regional play and pitching rotations yet.

I think in the SBC tournament, Glass, Moody and Farquar are your starters, and you don't worry about the rotation until you know who you are playing. Matchups, etc. But you plan on starting those three in some order.

Out of the pen you will have Laughter, Harmon, Solich and Robe and close the games out with Pilgreen.

The question marks or X factors if you will are Zorich, Mickles and Wilborn. If you are up big and can afford to put them in the game and rest one of your better arms for another game, you do so. _
    After seeing Mickles pitch yesterday, I would not have any qualms of using him in relief. In fact, after seeing his performance, I wondered why he was not used more this year.

Then again, I am not the coach, and tha's a good thing!!

UL Baseball Re: Pitching for remainder of season

No bones against Mickles, I think he has a great arm. But he was throwing against an exhausted and mentally distraught UALR team. I don't think that he has the experience for Robe to place him in a regional setting(yet). However, I would like to see Mickles get some work this weekend and in the conference tourney. Lack of arms have plagued us in our last 2 regional appearances. We can always use another experienced arm.

Thread Information