Thread: Now heres the question

UL Baseball Now heres the question

Do we save some of the starters over the next few games and give the bench some time so that we can have healthy starters for the tourny, or do we keep our starters going and try to keep on winning?

I would vote to save the starters for the tourney, I think we can afford a loss or 2 from UNO, but if we want to have a chance to get a #1 and a possible host, I think winning the tourney is a big key. Also, I think growing a little depth, using wilborn and zorich and lil robe next week will help bring extra depth to the pitching staff. More than anything else, I think we can win with our backups as well and itll make us better over the long haul.

On another note, I think that the Tigue should designate a section for just the students. As it stands right now, students arent as vocal as they are at basketball and football, and I think a part of that is because as students we arent together in unison like we are at the other sports. I dont know what to call it, but just we can get a little louder and make life a little more difficult on the opposing team.

Any feedback is appreciated,
    Tuffguy

Default Re: Now heres the question

Robe stated after winning the first 10 games this season that their goal was to win the last 10 of the season. I say press on and keep this thing rolling. The RPI is just too important to give games away. If this was the pros it would be different.

Don't save the staters. The team accomplish goal #1- win the regular season title. Now they would like to accomplish another goal. Be a #1 seed in the regionals and to do that, they must keep winning.

4. UL Baseball Re: Now heres the question

Quote Originally Posted by TuffGuy84
    Do we save some of the starters over the next few games and give the bench some time so that we can have healthy starters for the tourny, or do we keep our starters going and try to keep on winning?

I would vote to save the starters for the tourney, I think we can afford a loss or 2 from UNO, but if we want to have a chance to get a #1 and a possible host, I think winning the tourney is a big key. Also, I think growing a little depth, using wilborn and zorich and lil robe next week will help bring extra depth to the pitching staff. More than anything else, I think we can win with our backups as well and itll make us better over the long haul.
    I do not think this team can lose two games down the stretch and earn a #1 seed. A single loss will make it difficult. But it will also depend on how others perform down the stretch. Obviously, I agree that the conference tournament championship is important. I do not think a #1 seed will come without one.

It depends on what you mean by winning with backups. The Cajuns are not going to stroll into New Orleans and win 2/3 with half of their lineup filled with reserves (this also assumes throwing the regular pitching rotation). That is not giving New Orleans enough credit.

I think that while Robe is stressing the importance of winning the remaining games and finishing 10-0 over the last ten games, he will rest certain players. Catcher is at the top of the list. He may even throw one or more non-regular pitchers (start and relief). Robe may be thinking it is more important to get some players rest than it is to start the regulars and go for the #1 seed (without saying that).

Brian

I say you keep your regular starters, the only difference is that I might not let them go 7 or 8 innings, they might only be pitching 5 and letting the bull pen finish the rest.

Thread Information