Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to UL Coach Rogers

1. UL Basketball Welcome to UL Coach Rogers

Errol Rogers, a 1995 UL graduate and assistant coach at Mississippi State the past four seasons, will be officially announced as the Ragin' Cajuns' new women's basketball coach today.

A source close to the Mississippi State athletic department confirmed Tuesday night that Rogers would be taking the UL post and was traveling from Starkville, Miss., to Lafayette either late Tuesday or early today.

The university has called a press conference for 3p.m. today at the Cajundome. UL interim athletic director David Walker would neither confirm nor deny that Rogers had been offered the position.

Rogers interviewed for the position early last week. Among the other candidates interviewed were current Cajun assistant James "Wooly" Hatchell, Teurlings Catholic girls' basketball coach Garry Brodhead and former Central Florida head coach Gail Striegler.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

2. Default Re: Rogers new Lady Cajuns Head Coach

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy
    _ _
    to be honest with you, I am not enamored by the choice of our next women's HC. I think we will lose a quality Assistant HC in Hatchell because of this. But as always I will support my team and hopefully find out that I was wrong.

3. Default Re: Rogers new Lady Cajuns Head Coach

That was probably one of the worst choices UL could have ever made. Not real deserving just goes to show what UL focuses on. Brodhead should have without a doubt got that job

4. UL Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by BASKETBALL4LIFE
    _ That was probably one of the worst choices UL could have ever made. Not real deserving just goes to show what UL focuses on. Brodhead should have without a doubt got that job _
    No doubt Brodhead would have been a great choice.

A year ago I would have said no way UL should hire Rogers, he would have been coming from a losing program, hurting UL in recruiting wars and taking away UL recruits. . .

However, Mississippi State used those recruits to turn their program around so that now he is coming from a winner and this year I say he is a good hire, with the execption being he shows flashes of immaturity.

I'm so fickle, I was really hoping for continuity with Hatchell, Hall really set this program up for long term success. And there is no doubt coach Brodhead would have been a great choice.

5. Default Re: Rogers new Lady Cajuns Head Coach

The guy has NCAA recruiting violation with a fine, and also recently a penalty for jumping in front of someones bench something like taunting. Wish we could have given the job to a more successful and more worthy man obviously Brodhead. Hope he does consider assistant coach but sure as hell deserves head over any other candidate

6. Default

recently a penalty for jumping in front of someones bench something like taunting. and my comment was not out of line just stating the facts
    Is this part of what you are talking about?
    Richard took the inbound pass after Awkard’s jumper and drove the length of the court before hitting her jumper just inside the 3-point arc. The Lady Bulldogs (13-8 overall, 4-3 SEC) began to celebrate and assistant coach Errol Rogers slid down the court in front of the Ole Miss bench.

The shot was immediately reviewed before officials determined Richard got it off in time, prompting a second Mississippi State celebration in which one player threw the ball at the Tad Smith hanging scoreboard and Rogers did a somersault. link
    Can we look forward to some acrobatic coaching

7. Default Re: Rogers new Lady Cajuns Head Coach

I know that even though the girls are still hoping in some way to keep their assistant coach from last year, that they are very excited about what Rogers is talking about. They are very excited about the upcoming year with him as the head coach.

Default Re: Rogers new Lady Cajuns Head Coach

Quote Originally Posted by geauxcajunsgeaux
    _ I know that even though the girls are still hoping in some way to keep their assistant coach from last year, that they are very excited about what Rogers is talking about. They are very excited about the upcoming year with him as the head coach. _
    Well, I'm hereby going on record as saying Welcome home Coach Rogers and the best of luck to you and the Ragin' Cajun basketball team.

Coach, you have some big shoes to fill.

9. Default Re: Rogers new Lady Cajuns Head Coach

I don't know why "fans" get so upset when their choices are not seconded by the administration. Frankly, I will give my opinion on the administrations choice after the new hire has had an opportunity to prove them right or wrong.

I have never heard of this individual. My first choice was Hatchell, but no one in the administration asked for my choice.

In the end, the new hire will have to "produce or perish!!"

This is so COOL Re: Rogers new Lady Cajuns Head Coach

Quote Originally Posted by ragincajunpie
    _ The athletic department contacted the NCAA Enforcement staff before making this decision (as it does with every new coaching hire). The NCAA told the department that there was no record of Rogers nor Mississippi State having any violations against them having to do with recruiting or anything else. Maybe the NCAA lied, who knows, but the university does check these things out. _
    Thanks for the update, I was sure the university did it's homework on this as with all our hires. I back our coaches and players. I will do all I can to help coach Rogers to move things forward.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ragincajunpie
    The athletic department contacted the NCAA Enforcement staff before making this decision (as it does with every new coaching hire). The NCAA told the department that there was no record of Rogers nor Mississippi State having any violations against them having to do with recruiting or anything else. Maybe the NCAA lied, who knows, but the university does check these things out.
    Thanks for the info!

Z.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Rogers new Lady Cajuns Head Coach

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise
    _ Please specifically list any NCAA violations that Rogers has committed.
    Otherwise, please take your sour grapes elsewhere. _
    Thanks BOP! I couldn't think of a reply good enough for this person without it being insulting.Some of the comments from "some" of these posters really make me wonder.

13. UL Basketball Coach Rogers press conference

I am in Dallas and was hoping someone will provide me with a link to the UL press conference. Thank you.

_ That was probably one of the worst choices UL could have ever made. Has violations in the past with NCAA has already turned down this job. Not real deserving just goes to show what UL focuses on. Brodhead should have without a doubt got that job _
    There is no doubt that coach Gary Brodhead is a very good coach and certainly a qualified applicant. But, I strongly suggest that you, as a Broadhead supporter should not be making these allegations publicly. I can't tell you how many times I have heard allegations about high school coaches cheating or recruiting athletes, and never publicly made mentioned of them. I would hope that you would not want such allegations leveled at Coach Broadhead and his program on this board as well. I don't believe that such allegations should be made when you are dealing with a persons' career, without any documented evidence. I can understand your disappointment, but let's not make this a personal vendetta.

UL Basketball Re: Coach Rogers press conference

I liked what I heard here is a link that is a mile long
    http://www.ragincajuns.com/mediaPlay._TYPE=ONDEMAND

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information