Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Enough already, Stevie P.!

Default Enough already, Stevie P.!

I wish I could call Stevie P. during a Lady Cajun’s softball game and tell him to SHUT UP! Has there ever been a broadcaster in the history of radio who enjoys listening to themselves talk more than Stevie P.? From the second he turns the mic on, to the second he turns it off, he does not shut up. The longest he may go without speaking is maybe, five seconds. He spends almost the entire broadcast trying to prove to those listening that he is a “stinking genius”. 75% of what he says is unnecessary. As much as I LOVE UL Softball, after listening to his call of the Michigan game, in which he didn’t shut up for an hour and forty-five minutes, I am done. Sorry, Stevie. I’ve tried, but you just lost a listener. Sometimes, less is more.

Default Re: Enough already, Stevie P.!

It's a lot easier to put up with all his pontificating when the team is pounding out hits. A game like today makes it a lot tougher.

3. Default Re: Enough already, Stevie P.!

Radio is a mad beast, you simply cannot have dead air.

Studies show station turners will move on with as little as 2 seconds of dead air.

I think what you are really saying is he could use a cohost.

Unfortunately that would probably make coverage financially unfeasible.

PS not trying to put words in your mouth.

". you simply cannot have dead air."

This! Broadcasting 101. Unlike "Mr. Dead Air"

Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    I wish I could call Stevie P. during a Lady Cajun's softball game and tell him to SHUT UP! Has there ever been a broadcaster in the history of radio who enjoys listening to themselves talk more than Stevie P.? From the second he turns the mic on, to the second he turns it off, he does not shut up. The longest he may go without speaking is maybe, five seconds. He spends almost the entire broadcast trying to prove to those listening that he is a "stinking genius". 75% of what he says is unnecessary. As much as I LOVE UL Softball, after listening to his call of the Michigan game, in which he didn't shut up for an hour and forty-five minutes, I am done. Sorry, Stevie. I've tried, but you just lost a listener. Sometimes, less is more.
    Remember Jay and Stevie called baseball games together, yin and yang together in harmony. ;-)

Sounds kinda like Gerald during the football games.

It is hard to tell if Jay is on the air or if the Radio Pup app died some days. It is like he reads emails in between pitches and never tells you the score. I will take Stevie P. Just my 2 cents!

Either way I am glad we have the opportunity to listen to all of the Cajun games. Not many schools can say that.

Geaux Cajuns!!

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    It is hard to tell if Jay is on the air or if the Radio Pup app died some days. It is like he reads emails in between pitches and never tells you the score.
    This. My wife can't listen to him because he does that. She was a Mass Comm major, so she takes it pretty seriously.

I tune in, then turn the radio up thinking it's too lowthen WHAM, Walker starts loud whistle-talkin.

Couldn't agree with Turbines assessment more. and scotto_25 that happenes to me A LOT!

There is turmoil in the softball program, and I don't think anything is easy around it right now, including broadcasting. Everyone is on edge. When the coach of an 11th ranked team quits the day before the season, there are problems.

I haven't heard Stevie P in a while, but he's honest, prepared, and isn't on an ego trip when he's broadcasting.

If you want to talk about microphone hogs, I've heard plenty of them. The worst ones are ex-jocks. What they all have in common is a giant ego, and instead of bringing you the game they bring you them.

I really don't think Stevie P is like that. What I do think is that there are problems, and the we just need to re-evaluate after we are able to breathe a collective sigh of relief.

Turbine, I agree. Dead air is a "NO-NO" on music stations. I know. I was a DJ once and still have nightmares about dead air, as all ex-jocks I know do. However, dead air during a sportscast is not all that bad. All I want to know is what's going on on the field. Not, every possible scenario. Not that the hitter's grandmother is listening in Houston Texas and that the hitter is the grandmother's 17th grandchild and that the grandmother holds a special place in her heart for said player because she loves her grandmother's homemade apple pie because it's just like the apple pie Stevie gets at the Dairy Queen in Vidor, Texas, which is the best Dairy Queen on the planet because it has a red fomica counter and customers can she the banana splits as they're being made with bananas, not from America, but from South America because that's where 20 million pounds are produced each year. Here's the pitch.strike two. Now, back to those bananas

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    It is hard to tell if Jay is on the air or if the Radio Pup app died some days. It is like he reads emails in between pitches and never tells you the score. I will take Stevie P. Just my 2 cents!

Either way I am glad we have the opportunity to listen to all of the Cajun games. Not many schools can say that.

Geaux Cajuns!!
    Say what you want about Jay but his 2000 super regional call when the cajuns went to the cws and his 2011 no bowl call when the cajuns won still give me chills!!! CLASSIC STUFF!!!

14. Default Re: Enough already, Stevie P.!

Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    Turbine, I agree. Dead air is a "NO-NO" on music stations. I know. I was a DJ once and still have nightmares about dead air, as all ex-jocks I know do. However, dead air during a sportscast is not all that bad. All I want to know is what's going on on the field. Not, every possible scenario. Not that the hitter's grandmother is listening in Houston Texas and that the hitter is the grandmother's 17th grandchild and that the grandmother holds a special place in her heart for said player because she loves her grandmother's homemade apple pie because it's just like the apple pie Stevie gets at the Dairy Queen in Vidor, Texas, which is the best Dairy Queen on the planet because it has a red fomica counter and customers can she the banana splits as they're being made with bananas, not from America, but from South America because that's where 20 million pounds are produced each year. Here's the pitch.strike two. Now, back to those bananas
    Touche'

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Say what you want about Jay but his 2000 super regional call when the cajuns went to the cws and his 2011 no bowl call when the cajuns won still give me chills!!! CLASSIC STUFF!!!
    That all may be true, but I didn't listen to any of those broadcast because I was there live at both. I like Jay, but there is time it like he is up dating his twitter account or reading email. If you go 30 seconds of dead air, I restart radio pup because I think the app has stop. I love Jay's football calls, not so much on baseball. Just my opinion and respect everyone else's opinion. We could have a lot worse.

Geaux Cajuns!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information