Thread: The Vermilion: Profs, let me use my tools

1. Default The Vermilion: Profs, let me use my tools

By: Student X
    “You can’t use that device,” the professor said calmly

2. UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: The Vermilion: Profs, let me use my tools

This writer likes to think of a class room like a free market business, where the quick get rewarded and the slow eaten.

IMO it is more like NASCAR, the NFL, or any number of sports venues. In all these venues you are limited in what you can and cannot use, or put in your body. I have no idea if the iPad vs the tool in question have better quicker results, but that is not what is in question.

Most grades in college classes are based on a curve. So if the tools are different there will be different variable in that curve, and the university or professor has decided which PET(performance enhancing tool) can be used. This writer, is a petulant I got you smart a ss, so typical of many Apple lovers.

Let me think here, oh yes, I had the first I mach computer married to the Intel products in 2006 and it still works great after several upgrades to the memory, and OS. I was gung ho to buy the first I phone, but decied I did not need a hand held computer. Bought Ms Express one of the first IPads, and am writing on a half year old IMAC Pro Book, and succumbed to the IPhone this fall. So you see I am not anti Apple.

Default Re: The Vermilion: Profs, let me use my tools

I've been having my TI-83 since early in high school, why is this such a big deal for this kid? I can find these for as low as $1 on ebay. Plus, his syllabus said what calculator was allowed in class. I'd also put good money that he didn't check with his professor about being allowed to use the iPad calculator app before he took the test/quiz. What a little turd.

Default Re: The Vermilion: Profs, let me use my tools

What a petulant, spoiled brat. Maybe the reason why the course requires the TI-83 is that it has one function while the ipad is a fully functioning computer.

It's impossible for the prof to watch everyone use ther ipad, and it's very easy to open up other aps, say, word processing apps, or heaven forbid GOOGLE to find answers to questions.

So maybe for the sake of academic honesty technology has to take a back seat in this instance.

Thread Information