Eight Year Old Recovering After Gun Shot Wound

An Iberia Parish community is shaken after an eight year old boy is shot.

That eight year old is hospitalized in Baton Rouge with serious injuries and tonight the search is on for the shooter.

Iberia Parish Deputies say 21-year-old Akeam Daniels is their suspect, he's also the eight year old boy's older brother.

The shooting happened Monday night at the boy's home on Robertson Street in New Iberia. Deputies returned to the scene Tuesday looking for more evidence.

Iberia Parish Deputies patrolled Robertson Street and the area throughout the day looking for suspect, Akeam Daniel who they say shot his younger brother Monday night.

"They was all in front the house looking and searching for apparently a shotgun," said neighbor Roger Reed.

Crime scene tape litters the yard where the eight year old boy was shot. Moments before the shooting, neighbors say they heard fighting.

"I heard one shot so I didn't pay no mind, I thought it was something else. I than heard a second shot," said Shekara Sanders.

Neighbors say after hearing multiple gun shots, the suspect came outside and took the barrel of the gun and busted out the windows on a mini-van. There's still glass scattered out front of the house, evidence of what was a violent night.

"Being so close, the bullet could have came through our residence and hit one of my kids," said Reed.

One neighbor declined to speak on camera, but did say she helped wrap the boy who was shot in blankets to stop the bleeding and the boy kept asking "why did he shoot me?"

Chris Welty
cwelty@katctv.com

Permalink| Comments