Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Spirit of 76 (1976 Football Season)

Default Re: Spirit of 76 Video (1976 Football Season)

Anyone else hear the cannon go off on 9/11 when they come out for the Fresno State game.

Default Re: Spirit of 76 Video

Quote Originally Posted by California Cajun View Post
    Thanks so much! That was my senior football season.
    And my freshman. I made none of those videos because we ALWAYS sat mid field on the top row of the student side. Needed quick access to concession and BR.

Boomer, to this day I still remember most of the players' numbers and the coaching staff.

Default Re: Spirit of 76 Video

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Cool video! Apparently that staff made some AMAZING halftime adjustments
    Sam Robertson ( defense) and Larry Zeno ( offense) may have been the best coordinators of their time. We made adjustments throughout the games, until we found the right offensive plays and the right defensive alignement.

4. UL Football 40 Years ago "Spirit of 76"

This year it will have been 40 years since the Spirit of 76 season.

The original video had Frank Sinatra's "My Way" as a music bed (for a portion) YouTube said No Way to My Way so I subdubbed an instrumental.

Default Re: 40 Years ago "Spirit of 76"

why was the home side ever on that side of the field?

Great times...two solid memories of that season...watching Roy Henry destroy Tech in a 2nd half comeback and later that season, loading up a 20 foot U-Haul, 3 kegs, and about 30 folks to take the I-10 champagne flight to Lake Charles for the McNeese war. Sadly we lost several of our brothers along the way....

You can talk about the talent more recent Cajun teams have had but there were some really good football players on the 1976 team.

Opened the season with wins against Fresno State, Cincinnati, and Tech. I remember that season well. What a program we could have had.

9. Default Re: 40 Years ago "Spirit of 76"

My takeaway? How'd we come so low in forty years? So much promise so much

That season was my senior year and it sure was a good one.

11. Default Re: 40 Years ago "Spirit of 76"

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    ---The almost perfect storm gathers ever so often---Very tough kids left over from Faulkinberry, some great JUCO players, and some great transfers---I didn't realize that some were as good as they were when I recruited them, but the video shows some, as Rick eluded to, to be outstanding college players!!! Pretty talented coaching staff also helped the cause and there wasn't much attrition as their week ends were full of activities!!! lol

There were a lot of players on that team that could have played at any time, in any era. Thanks for allowing me to relive some great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Great times...two solid memories of that season...watching Roy Henry destroy Tech in a 2nd half comeback and later that season, loading up a 20 foot U-Haul, 3 kegs, and about 30 folks to take the I-10 champagne flight to Lake Charles for the McNeese war. Sadly we lost several of our brothers along the way....
    I had the privilege of Coaching with the late Marcel Richard, a DL on that team, at a HS in St. LANDRY Parish.....a tremendous Coach and friend....

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Nobody at USL realized how huge college football would become in the future. While we invested nothing in our program, other universities had the vision to invest for the future and passed us by. We can complain about it now, but in reality, I don't recall hearing any complaints about our lack of investment in the program at that time. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention. I was still in high school in 1976, and I had more pressing issues on my mind.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Great video. Toby Warren was ready to take us to heights we never would have imagined... Unfortunately, the Fossil would have none of it. The rest is history.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information