Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Spirit of 76 (1976 Football Season)

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Had posted this a long while back but the first tackle was made by Tommy Rodgers and the first defensive TD by Charlie Fox--- (McNaspy story) the year after I finished playing I was in the lower stands as we played Lamar---my buddy took his cigarette lighter and lit the Lamar Cardinal on fire

it was put out as we all threw our drinks on him---Nobody could tell the cops how it happened---CRAZY!!!

I was about 8 years old at the time and I witnessed the guy trying to set the cardinal suit on fire. My father was yelling from the stands for someone to stop him. I remember that like it was yesterday!!

Default Re: Spirit of 76 Video

Quote Originally Posted by ltee67 View Post
    Sam Robertson ( defense) and Larry Zeno ( offense) may have been the best coordinators of their time. We made adjustments throughout the games, until we found the right offensive plays and the right defensive alignement.
    Sam was a guy you really wanted to play for. He got the best out of everybody. I was hurt for the first 6 or 7 games. I can't tell you how many times he told me c'mon man, we need you down the stretch. Pretty encouraging stuff considering I wasn't going to be a starter and mainly played special teams in the last 4 games. Great guy.

3. Default Re: Spirit of 76

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Upon further review, Script Cajuns was not worn in 76. Statement still stands...we will never have a better helmet design.
    ---"Upon further review"----Hawk, you are not one of those guys that wear the black stripe shirts are you???

4. Default Re: Spirit of 76 Video (1976 Football Season)

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    I was a freshman in the band in 76. That was an awesome season. We had over 30K for homecoming that season.
    ----Yes that was when the band played the fight song correctly! lol

Default Re: Spirit of 76 Video (1976 Football Season)

Still remember Terry "Shingles" Bradshaw getting knocked unconscious 5 or 6 times, given a whiff of ammonia and sent back on the field. He broke every GSC quarterback/offensive record that night and we STILL won the game. AMAZING!! At McNaspy, 1970, I think.

6. Default Re: Spirit of 76 Video (1976 Football Season)

Quote Originally Posted by raoul View Post
    Still remember Terry "Shingles" Bradshaw getting knocked unconscious 5 or 6 times, given a whiff of ammonia and sent back on the field. He broke every GSC quarterback/offensive record that night and we STILL won the game. AMAZING!! At McNaspy, 1970, I think.
    ----Those honors of TB's exiting periodically from the contest can be attributed to one Dickie Mart a DB from DeLaSalle H S in N O----My biggest fear of losing consciousness was not in game hits but rather scrimmages against our defense---DA Head Hunters---and the the leader was Dwight Sevin who almost made it with the Saints---bunch of stories---Coaches were always stressing how we can overcome physical obstacles and that it was all in our heads----A girl on campus was having severe phychological problems and was seeing consolers ----he reasoned that it was all in her head!!! lol

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by raoul View Post
    I was at that game. They were found guilty of holding often. It was 15 yards in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Those honors of TB's exiting periodically from the contest can be attributed to one Dickie Mart a DB from DeLaSalle H S in N O

My biggest fear of losing consciousness was not in game hits but rather scrimmages against our defense---DA Head Hunters---and the the leader was Dwight Sevin who almost made it with the Saints---bunch of stories---Coaches were always stressing how we can overcome physical obstacles and that it was all in our heads

A girl on campus was having severe phychological problems and was seeing consolers

he reasoned that it was all in her head!!! lol

I played against Dwight in high school, and he was the real deal' in addition to being a genuine nice guy

Ryckman played for tech that year. Must have been a sophomore.

11. Default Re: Spirit of 76 Video (1976 Football Season)

GEAUX CAJUNS in use at the 6:58 mark of the video.

40 Years

Quote Originally Posted by California Cajun View Post
    I wasn't a football player, my college years ranged from the 0-10 season in 1973 to the 9-2 season in 1976. I graduated in

It was exciting to see the improvement each year I was there. In basketball, the first two years were the death penalty, and they won the conference in 1976-77.
    Basically the same time frame here.. I was there for the 0-10 in 1973 and graduated in 1976... I remember the Mickey Neese game was as big (on a smaller scale if that makes sense) to Bama/Auburn.... Rafael Septien missed an extra point and we lost 20-19 if memory serves... which it may not... i killed an aweful lot of brai cells back in those days...

It may have been the time when the Ruston president sent an letter to UL that alcohol was illegal in Ruston and fans who brought alcohol would be arrested. Talk about waving a red flag at the bull. I "think" I remember riding in the back of a rental truck with a rollup rear door and a group of friends and a keg of beer to Ruston for the game and bringing flasks into the stadium and making drinks for Tech fans in the stands.

Quote Originally Posted by ltee67 View Post
    Sam Robertson ( defense) and Larry Zeno ( offense) may have been the best coordinators of their time. We made adjustments throughout the games, until we found the right offensive plays and the right defensive alignement.
    Sam may have been a good coordinator, but I didn't think much of him as a head coach.

Thanks Turbine. I sat through the whole thing with a stupid grin on my face. I wasn't on campus yet, but those were still good times.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information