Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Spirit of 76 (1976 Football Season)

1. Default Re: 40 Years ago "Spirit of 76"

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    Great video. Toby Warren was ready to take us to heights we never would have imagined... Unfortunately, the Fossil would have none of it. The rest is history.
    ----Z, my boy if you only knew----Coach T was in town and we spent some great time going over past times---We were at the Tunnel and talked about the huge Men's and women's dormitory with swimming pool, study halls, BBQ areas, along with stadium expansion, that had all been planned---He and Toby were so much on the same page and no doubt Dr A, after seeing Dr R get the ax, didn't want any part of a dominating athletic program to rise again!!!

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: 40 Years ago "Spirit of 76"

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ----Z, my boy if you only knew----Coach T was in town and we spent some great time going over past times---We were at the Tunnel and talked about the huge Men's and women's dormitory with swimming pool, study halls, BBQ areas, along with stadium expansion, that had all been planned---He and Toby were so much on the same page and no doubt Dr A, after seeing Dr R get the ax, didn't want any part of a dominating athletic program to rise again!!!
    And sadly....here we are. Have a good day, Boom!

Z, my boy if you only knew

Coach T was in town and we spent some great time going over past times---We were at the Tunnel and talked about the huge Men's and women's dormitory with swimming pool, study halls, BBQ areas, along with stadium expansion, that had all been planned---He and Toby were so much on the same page and no doubt Dr A, after seeing Dr R get the ax, didn't want any part of a dominating athletic program to rise again!!!

What I remember was that Dr. A had a problem with Toby Warren being a businessman on the side while AD.

Sonny Roy replaced him, Augie tried to switch to recruiting high school players, and things disintegrated.

Then Mel Didier quit when Dr. A balked on expanding the stadium.

We seem to recycle between dynamic leadership and status quo leadership. It reminds me of a car with a bad water pump. It sputters when it's critical to hit the gas pedal.

Looks like we've stagnated again.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    Nobody at USL realized how huge college football would become in the future. While we invested nothing in our program, other universities had the vision to invest for the future and passed us by. We can complain about it now, but in reality, I don't recall hearing any complaints about our lack of investment in the program at that time. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention. I was still in high school in 1976, and I had more pressing issues on my mind.
    You didn't know ____ then and you've grown not one bit. There was plenty of complaining in the mid eighties and since. But that's when I moved back to see the roadblocks the fossil had institutionalized. There probably lots of complaining when Phillps left, but there wasn't an Internet, or RP. I could barely get scores.

That was all planned for cajun field? I would love to hear/see more of that.

6. Default Re: 40 Years ago "Spirit of 76"

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    Nobody at USL realized how huge college football would become in the future.
    I'm sure you mean no one in authority.

I think that everyone that was a part of the resurgence from 1974 to 1976 felt that we had the program on the right track and we were ready to take off! Unfortunately Dr A was still on the scene and had different ideas about athletics?

I am looking forward to our reunion this fall during homecoming! Geaux Cajuns!

What happened to our program?!...oh wait.

9. Default Re: 40 Years ago "Spirit of 76"

You saw the teams we we're beating.

Thanks Turbine. That was my freshman year at UL. Nice way to start your first semester. Then it continued into basketball season.

Default Spirit of 76

5 years before I was born, but we beat La Tech at home, rocked the script Cajuns on our helmets as the greatest helmet design we will ever have, and we had a boss Acadiana flag at midfield. We had dreams.

Edit: Our end zones were amazing.

I was a freshman in the band in 76. That was an awesome season. We had over 30K for homecoming that season.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    Cajun Field opened in 1971 if I remember correctly.
    Cajun Field was scheduled to open in. 1970, but was not ready. Opened with a win over Santa Clara in 1971. Some of my best experiences were at McNaspy in the 60's

14. Default Re: Spirit of 76

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    Cajun Field was scheduled to open in. 1970, but was not ready. Opened with a win over Santa Clara in 1971. Some of my best experiences were at McNaspy in the 60's
    Had posted this a long while back but the first tackle was made by Tommy Rodgers and the first defensive TD by Charlie Fox--- (McNaspy story) the year after I finished playing I was in the lower stands as we played Lamar---my buddy took his cigarette lighter and lit the Lamar Cardinal on fire ---- it was put out as we all threw our drinks on him---Nobody could tell the cops how it happened---CRAZY!!!

Default Re: Spirit of 76

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    Before my time, but when I was very young in the 60's we went to a circus there a couple of times.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information