Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Basketball & Football Probation

NCAA Basketball & Football Probation

This sucks

Default Re: Probation

This would never happen to a big time school. The NCAA is outrageously hipocrytical. After all, it's all about STUDENT athletes. At least Orien did his work.

i agree with ya'll.

two more thoughts:

1.) Our NCAA compliance officer is the one who should be held responsible (forget his/her name at the moment)

2.) Can we please just forget about this? Seriously, let's forget about it. We were already depressed about men's basketball as it is, so this is not really that big of a deal. let's concentrate on the stuff that's not depressing us and dragging us down. We've got too many other good things goin on to let this rain on our parade

God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    _ i agree with ya'll.

two more thoughts:

1.) Our NCAA compliance officer is the one who should be held responsible (forget his/her name at the moment)

2.) Can we please just forget about this? Seriously, let's forget about it. We were already depressed about men's basketball as it is, so this is not really that big of a deal. let's concentrate on the stuff that's not depressing us and dragging us down. We've got too many other good things goin on to let this rain on our parade

God Bless _
    Did anyone else notice that the advertiser just raped us in this article. "The committe was shocked that the university ignored this unambiguous rule"? (not an exact quote but close). Hey advertiser, you read the NCAA rule book and see if it's that blatant to you. The advertiser will not see another dime from me, I'm fed up with them. They make the biggest deal about this (NCAA and Advertiser) Is it wrong what we did? Yes. Was it intentional? I don't think so. I haven't heard Jack squat out of the Advertiser or from the NCAA about Pokey's purple and gold butt having sex with her players! The Advertiser can kiss my a__ and the NCAA can kiss my a__ too! I've had it with all of the idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal
    _ Did anyone else notice that the advertiser just raped us in this article. "The committe was shocked that the university ignored this unambiguous rule"? (not an exact quote but close). Hey advertiser, you read the NCAA rule book and see if it's that blatant to you. The advertiser will not see another dime from me, I'm fed up with them. They make the biggest deal about this (NCAA and Advertiser) Is it wrong what we did? Yes. Was it intentional? I don't think so. I haven't heard Jack squat out of the Advertiser or from the NCAA about Pokey's purple and gold butt having sex with her players! The Advertiser can kiss my a__ and the NCAA can kiss my a__ too! I've had it with all of the idiots. _
    All the Advertiser did was quote the NCAA report. Those were the committee's words, not the Advertiser's.

Also, to answer a previous post, it's the FORMER compliance officer that gets the blame on this, not the current one.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise
    _ All the Advertiser did was quote the NCAA report. Those were the committee's words, not the Advertiser's.

Also, to answer a previous post, it's the FORMER compliance officer that gets the blame on this, not the current one. _
    I mistook the quote. Even so, then why did it take the NCAA take so long to pass down a ruling and sentencing? Probably because no one there knew what the rule meant either.

While yes it is the former compliance officer who is to blame, the NCAA won't punish him. They punish the institution. To me, if its one guy that screws up, and he ain't here any more, then you get a slap on the wrist. Guess it only works if you're in the BCS.

I can't say enough how much I HATE the NCAA.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto.C-RSSFeeds0312

How many scholarships are they losing? The money they had to pay back was much more than ours, but then again, with their athletic budget, it's not like they're missing it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux
    _ I can't say enough how much I HATE the NCAA.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto.C-RSSFeeds0312

How many scholarships are they losing? The money they had to pay back was much more than ours, but then again, with their athletic budget, it's not like they're missing it too much. _
    What did the Football team get hit with? It shouldnt be anything more than the probation because Spurrier anounced he was monitoring his athletes at practice at a press conference a while back.

10. I have a Question Re: NCAA probe

Quote Originally Posted by Advertiser
    Walker (UL AD David Walker) said he could not disclose the penalty recommendations until the committee has taken action.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stTake
    Why make a penalty offer before you hear the punishment?
    Well I am ready to hear what UL's recommendations and concessions were and what the NCAA added to the equation.

I agree with 1stTake, any pre concession offer would be interpreted as a major guilty plea to an ambiguous at best rule. It so goes without saying that the NCAA tendency would be to conclude that no entity gives unto them selves what they really deserve.

So as indicated by the David Walker quote, I am ready to hear what did UL offer up front? Anything more than a t-shirt purchase by the football players would be too much.

11. UL Basketball NCAA grants probation

LAFAYETTE, La. — La. Lafayette was placed on probation for two years and will lose two basketball scholarships under NCAA sanctions announced Thursday, stemming from a basketball player's correspondence course and the football program's mandatory summer workouts.

The head of the NCAA's Division I Infractions Committee said the panel did not find the violations to be intentional.

Instead, school officials "failed to catch the obvious error" regarding the correspondence courses and the football staff failed to recognize that its "voluntary program" for football conditioning had gone beyond NCAA limits.

As a result of the violations, University of Louisiana will forfeit 90 percent of the first year's money it got from the Sun Belt Conference for playing in the NCAA basketball tournaments in 2004 and 2005 and will forfeit two scholarships — either both in one year or one in each of two years.

The records of the school's basketball team in 2003-04 and 2004-05 — including NCAA tournament participation — also will be erased and the school will not be allowed to make any reference to it, the NCAA said.

The football team will have its allowable weekly practice hours reduced from 20 hours to 15 hours, either during the current spring semester or in the 2008 spring semester.

The NCAA did not disclose the amount of money involved in the revenue forfeiture.

University of Louisiana interim athletics director David Walker said in a statement the NCAA report agreed with the university's own findings and the school had accepted the penalties. He said the university was awaiting NCAA certification it already had fulfilled the football practice reduction.

The rest of the story

SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME EXACTLY WHAT THIS MEANS

13. Default Re: Probation

This makes me so sick and angry. Steve Spurrier can be quoted in the newpaper discussing his team's attendance at "voluntary" spring workouts, and nothing. Ohio St. get penalties overturned. And we get stomped on. I wouldn't have such a problem if the NCAA treated everyone the same. They treat all non BCS schools with such disdain, its not just us. I just feel so frustrated because I love this university and I want the best for it, and I know we deserve better.

This also brings up another point, in reading that article in the advertiser (read:bull$%^) I noticed comments which remind me of the attitudes of many in this community. They have this negative, "oh what next" attitude about UL. They know nothing of pride and loyalty in their community. If you live in the Lafayette area, there is no reason not to take your family to a few cajuns games in every sport, they are fun. They say "I want to support a winner" I say support your people and they will be winners. Look at the softball and baseball and women's basketball teams, they are all winners. I have my problems with the administration of this university, but no other university any where can touch our spirit, character, hospitality and culture. And by the way we also have some well respected academic programs. Sorry I was long winded, I hope I made sense.

Default Re: NCAA probe . . . . ation

I know Jay reported on his show when they first had the meetings that we proposed forfeiting all games played by Greene, paying back a portion of the money earned from the NCAA Tourney berths (I think $20,000?), some reduced practice hours for the football team, and one or two years of probation. As he said it, that would be the minimum that we would be punished with since we proposed it, and that he thought it was a pretty thorough punishment. However, we've been hit with all of that plus the loss of one basketball scholarship in 2008 and 2009. I was fine with our proposed punishment, but I was pretty PO'ed this afternoon when I heard we'd been docked a scholarship as well. Of course, I'm drawing all this from memory so it's far from the gospel, but it's pretty close.

15. Default Re: Probation

What does the "2 Years of Probation" mean? Can we participate in postseason activity?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information