Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: KADN Fox 15 Newscast at 9pm

Default Re: KADN Fox 15 Newscast at 9pm

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike
    You do know that your competitor stations at KATC and KLFY do leave out the city tag when referring to our school during their sportscast. That policy is something most Cajun fans applaud. Your station not doing so puts you at a disadvantage with those stations in the Acadiana area. I understand that your broadcast has more of a regional aspect and you have to consider the views of those who live out of the area when making decisions. Regardless, it is a disadvantage you have here. To overcome it, you will have to offer higher quality coverage of Cajun sports
    get over it

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun
    _ As a Cajun Fan, I must agree, that using the tag I turn the channel. A station based in Lafayette talking about the Cajuns and you want to use lafayette, not good.

Only the University when sending out mail, talking about itself must use the tag at some point. However the media is free to do and say as it pleases. A very smart choice would be to use Louisiana, as your majority of your viewers will be Cajun fans and advertisers.

DaddyCajun

ps I have yet to see your broadcast, but will try to watch it soon, old habits are hard to break and if you continue to use the tag you will never get my family and friends to watch you. You support us and we will support you! _
    Daddy, I'm going to respectfully disagree.

There's a big picture here. WE're getting coverage with this sportscast in Baton Rouge and Shreveport, where the Cajuns are rarely, if at all, mentioned.

Obviously, because of that, at this time, the city designation is going to be used.

I want it all, just like you. But right now, the publicity we're getting circumvents "at Lafayette."

Just another man's opinion.

BOP, as much as I do agree with DaddyCajun I'd have to say I agree with you. If you asked me whether I'd rather not have a station that uses "at Lafayette" or having one that goes statewide and gives UL increased coverage where it previously didn't have it, I'd choose the latter.

However, I do believe I caught Mr. Mycoskie using "Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns" or something similar.

just another man's opinion

God Bless

GEAUX UL RAGIN CAJUNS!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    _ BOP, as much as I do agree with DaddyCajun I'd have to say I agree with you. If you asked me whether I'd rather not have a station that uses "at Lafayette" or having one that goes statewide and gives UL increased coverage where it previously didn't have it, I'd choose the latter.

However, I do believe I caught Mr. Mycoskie using "Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns" or something similar.

just another man's opinion

God Bless

GEAUX UL RAGIN CAJUNS!!!!!!! _
    To me, Louisiana's Ragin cajuns is a great compromise.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise
    To me, Louisiana's Ragin cajuns is a great compromise.
    absolutely.

another example of great minds thinking alike!

Z.

UL Baseball Re: KADN Fox 15 Newscast at 9pm

_ Daddy, I'm going to respectfully disagree.

There's a big picture here. WE're getting coverage with this sportscast in Baton Rouge and Shreveport, where the Cajuns are rarely, if at all, mentioned.

Obviously, because of that, at this time, the city designation is going to be used.

I want it all, just like you. But right now, the publicity we're getting circumvents "at Lafayette."

Just another man's opinion. _
    JayBird I agree in principle with you as we must first let those who do not know where we are located, know where the University of Louisiana is located.

However, where I think we may differ is Shreveport and Baton Rouge and wherever else this is broadcast, "already know where Louisana, Ragin Cajuns, UL, Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns" are located.

Love ya man,
    Bring back some W's for the Ragin Cajun's and the Lady Cajun's this weekend!!!!
    DaddyCajun

_ To me, Louisiana's Ragin cajuns is a great compromise. _
    BOP, I totally agree with you. I agree on the compromise you suggest and I agree it is good to give our program publicity outside of Lafayette. The reason I made my post is that the folks at Fox may not be aware that they may be irritating some Cajun fans with the city tag. Now they are. That is probably not a big deal to them however. More importantly is if they follow through on the comment that they plan to improve on their coverage of Cajun sports.

8. Default Re: KADN Fox 15 Newscast at 9pm

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun
    Only the University when sending out mail, talking about itself must use the tag at some point. However the media is free to do and say as it pleases. A very smart choice would be to use Louisiana, as your majority of your viewers will be Cajun fans and advertisers.
    As you know "Louisiana" is a generalized nickname.

The media is free to do as it chooses but many in the media do not understand the use of "Louisiana" does not fall in the arena of someone’s officially designated nomenclature.

The only time the city tag is required is when "University of Louisiana" is used. Even then the law only applies to official correspondence.

The fans of ULM have chosen ULM and the fans of Louisiana have chosen Louisiana.

jmo

Hey Turbine,

Just a minor correction. It's actually ULM @ Southeast Little Rock, or something like that.

God Bless

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ To me, Louisiana's Ragin cajuns is a great compromise. _
    I think it is a good (clever) compromise. An occasional slip of "Louisiana Ragin Cajuns" is also acceptable from time to time.

I use my middle name. I tell people my name, and I find that 99% just call me by what I said my name is. I understand that those who do not like me may use an alternate name. but don't most of us get called what we ask to be called?

As for newscasters/commentators choosing what is "popular". They are between a rock and semi hard place. and they choose not to fight the rock.

We (UL) call ourselves what we want. But, you also do not have to frequent businesses you do not agree with. And, you have the right to support businesses and people that support your beliefs and ideas. That is how things change (or not).

I am heavily in favor of turning/identifying Lafayette and the Acadiana area into a UL-first region. I believe it already is. I think a dormant group of supporters will arrive when the time comes. It will require we turn our sports programs (especially football) up a notch. Unfortunately, college football is the stick that the average person measures most things by (and we need him/her in the stands). That is why academic centric people resist. What they fail to comprehend is that creating a huge college football program will grow and sustain almost everything else.

I just renewed my 3 chairback season tickets, and talked to a friend in Houston who is joining me with 2 more. Be upset if you want, or help make the new UL happen. There are many alum waiting to support. We need a stepped up, tuned in admin (and I believe that is coming).

The biggest mistake on this board is when we begin slamming our alumni and potential fanbase. You CANNOT attract friends with threats, and that works the same way with fans. We have to get football marketed to the fans/alumni properly (and many visit this board and talk to others). If you want them to be a stakeholder, give them some bragging rights. Create a private fund that absorbs the current private funding. Call it something else. Massively advertise its benefits and create the enthusiasm. Before most people figure out that it was just a fund-raiser. the funds are raised. and a new era is born. Put pressure on the admin today. but be prepared to part with your money.

Oh. or we can just keep writing things on here and see what doesn't happen.

Default "FOX News Louisiana" KADN Fox 15 sportscast

I discovered something very interesting today

One of the news crews was in our trophy shop today interviewing my dad, and I asked the camera girl about broadcast areas.

Contrary to what has been stated on here before, what we see for the Fox broadcast here in Lafayette is NOT broadcast statewide. Lafayette news is shown here in Lafayette. The Shreveport affiliate shows Shreveport news, BR affliliate shows BR news, etc.

Why do I mention this? Because we had defended the Fox station on here before by saying that even when they call us the name we hate, or broadcast more LSU than UL stuff, "it gets us coverage we wouldn't have otherwise". Now we know that is not true.

I guess I'm mentioning this also, so that when the Fox sports crew goes out of it's way to cover other schools more than UL, we don't jump to defend them.

However, out of fairness, I would like to say that some of the sports stories done on UL have been pretty good.

God Bless

GEAUX UL RAGIN CAJUNS!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Default Re: For those who ragged on the Fox 15 sportscast

I'm not sure if this was explained correctly.

The first three segments are customized to each market (two local news blocks and local weather).

The last two blocks (world wrap and sports) are live to all three "FOX News Louisiana" stations (KADN Lafayette, KMSS Shreveport and WGMB Baton Rouge).

Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    _ I discovered something very interesting today

One of the news crews was in our trophy shop today interviewing my dad, and I asked the camera girl about broadcast areas.

Contrary to what has been stated on here before, what we see for the Fox broadcast here in Lafayette is NOT broadcast statewide. Lafayette news is shown here in Lafayette. The Shreveport affiliate shows Shreveport news, BR affliliate shows BR news, etc.

Why do I mention this? Because we had defended the Fox station on here before by saying that even when they call us the name we hate, or broadcast more LSU than UL stuff, "it gets us coverage we wouldn't have otherwise". Now we know that is not true.

I guess I'm mentioning this also, so that when the Fox sports crew goes out of it's way to cover other schools more than UL, we don't jump to defend them.

However, out of fairness, I would like to say that some of the sports stories done on UL have been pretty good.

God Bless

GEAUX UL RAGIN CAJUNS!!!!!!!!!!! _

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: For those who ragged on the Fox 15 sportscast

Quote Originally Posted by wvla-wgmb
    I'm not sure if this was explained correctly.

The first three segments are customized to each market (two local news blocks and local weather).

The last two blocks (world wrap and sports) are live to all three "FOX News Louisiana" stations (KADN Lafayette, KMSS Shreveport and WGMB Baton Rouge).
    nice save.

Z

Ragin' Cajuns Re: For those who ragged on the Fox 15 sportscast

So lets keep grooming these Louisiana stories so that they know we care and are watching their shows!!

DaddyCajun

15. Default Re: For those who ragged on the Fox 15 sportscast

This is correct. when I was in Texarkana, TX, I was able to catch Fox News Louisiana and the sports segment was led by a story on "Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information