Thread: Regional Projections

UL Baseball Regional Projections

Yes, it's way too early to make regional projections and they offer little more than a conversation piece at this point, but SEBaseball released theirs today.

The Cajuns are a #2 at the Rice Regional. Tulane made the field, but Troy, FAU and LSU were not in the field of 64. It is noted that UL is among a group of about 6 #2 seeds considered for a #1 seed at this point.

Baseball America also released it's regional projections today. UL is a #2 seed at UVa. They have Troy in the field, but not FAU or LSU.

2. UL Baseball Re: Regional Projections

Quote Originally Posted by Kernel
    Yes, it's way too early to make regional projections and they offer little more than a conversation piece at this point, but SEBaseball released theirs today.

The Cajuns are a #2 at the Rice Regional. Tulane made the field, but Troy, FAU and LSU were not in the field of 64. It is noted that UL is among a group of about 6 #2 seeds considered for a #1 seed at this point.

Baseball America also released it's regional projections today. UL is a #2 seed at UVa. They have Troy in the field, but not FAU or LSU.
    I think Mark (SEBaseball.com) missed one here. I think Troy makes the field over all of the following schools ...

Southern Illinois
    Texas Tech
    Georgia Tech
    Southern Mississippi

... especially in light of their series win over Coastal Carolina this past weekend.

But when it comes down to the real selections and the conference tournament upsets are tabulated, it is quite possible that the last five teams in the field now do not make the final field of 64.

Brian

3. UL Baseball Re: Regional Projections

I think this field was sloppily put together. For example, Tulane and Houston would not get placed in the Fayetteville regional together.

Also, some of the selections, seedings, and host sites are curious at best. I think Fitt fails to understand the role the RPI plays in the selection process and that polls are meaningless. They seem to be awarding host sites and #1 seeds based on their own BA rankings. This is nonsense.

Oklahoma State does not have a prayer at fetching a #1 seed, much less a regional host with an RPI of 67. They would have to win the Big XII for this to happen. Oklahoma would be a much better choice as a #1 seed.

Oregon State is not a national seed (#6). If you win the conference championship of one of the big conferences, you can snatch a national seed with an RPI of 26. But the Beavers are in 5th place with a 2-4 record at this point.

These are just a few items ... but at this point, the field they put forth is of little value in my opinion.

Brian

Default Re: Regional Projections

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin
    I think this field was sloppily put together. For example, Tulane and Houston would not get placed in the Fayetteville regional together.

Also, some of the selections, seedings, and host sites are curious at best. I think Fitt fails to understand the role the RPI plays in the selection process and that polls are meaningless. They seem to be awarding host sites and #1 seeds based on their own BA rankings. This is nonsense.

Oklahoma State does not have a prayer at fetching a #1 seed, much less a regional host with an RPI of 67. They would have to win the Big XII for this to happen. Oklahoma would be a much better choice as a #1 seed.

Oregon State is not a national seed (#6). If you win the conference championship of one of the big conferences, you can snatch a national seed with an RPI of 26. But the Beavers are in 5th place with a 2-4 record at this point.

These are just a few items ... but at this point, the field they put forth is of little value in my opinion.

Brian
    I agree completely, Brian. BA's projection has many holes. OSU as a national seed is just ridiculous. And putting two CUSA teams in that regional shows a complete lack of understanding of the system. As has been said before, BA is a prospect publication and they frequently show just how little they "get" college baseball.

5. UL Baseball Re: Regional Projections

I agree completely, Brian. BA's projection has many holes. OSU as a national seed is just ridiculous. And putting two CUSA teams in that regional shows a complete lack of understanding of the system. As has been said before, BA is a prospect publication and they frequently show just how little they "get" college baseball.
    And to think that ESPN arranges to have BA publish their stuff carte' blanche on their website. Or even worse, you pay money to read this stuff (subscription only content).

Brian

UL Baseball Re: Regional Projections

And to think that ESPN arranges to have BA publish their stuff carte' blanche on their website. Or even worse, you pay money to read this stuff (subscription only content).

Brian
    I think it shows the indifference ESPN has towards college baseball. No one cares enough to scrutinize.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

_ I think it shows the indifference ESPN has towards college baseball. No one cares enough to scrutinize. _
    I think it shows the indifference the country has towards college baseball. there isn't a whole lot of demand from the people outside of the south or the west to know what is happening in the aluminum bat circuit. I would think that they might figure that if anyone really wants to know about what's going on in college baseball, they aren't going to them to find out anyway. just a guess.

_ And to think that ESPN arranges to have BA publish their stuff carte' blanche on their website. Or even worse, you pay money to read this stuff (subscription only content).

Brian _
    One reason I dropped that subscription.

Thread Information