Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Petroleum Engineering Major

Default Petroleum Engineering Major

I'm a high school senior. I was accepted to the University of Louisiana and I am heavily considering it, since I will get a full ride. Is there anything you can tell me about:
    Petroleum Engineering recruitment?
    Petroleum Engineering access to internships?
    the campus culture?
    the party scene?
    the girls?
    Thanks for helping! It means a a lot to me.

Default Re: Petroleum Engineering Major

Are you 18 yet?

I'm not Petro personally but I'm good friends with almost all the upperclassman. Great major, If I could make myself spend more time in the books and less time in the bars I would have loved to major in it.

The Nightlife is better then any other college you got accepted to I'll almost guarantee it, The women are wild and plentiful. Where are you from?

My good friend graduated as the outstanding Engineering grad last spring. A month before graduation he already had a job in Pittsburgh making 90+ as soon as he graduated.

I am 18. I live in Brooklyn, NY. It's pretty fun.

4. Default Re: Petroleum Engineering Major

Cool, my parents met in Brooklyn.

Girls? Lets see, Louisiana is the only University in the country with at least "3" winning Miss America/USA alumni in its ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by itscoldoutside View Post
    I'm a high school senior. I was accepted to the University of Louisiana and I am heavily considering it, since I will get a full ride. Is there anything you can tell me about:
    Petroleum Engineering recruitment?
    Petroleum Engineering access to internships?
    the campus culture?
    the party scene?
    the girls?
    Thanks for helping! It means a a lot to me.
    I am a Petroleum Engineering graduate of UL. I and a number of other UL grads work for Chevron. We recruit at UZl every year and regularly hire a number of UL grads for full ime positions and students as interns. If you put in the work nd get the grades you will not have any trouble finding employment.

Do you think that it will still be like this in 2017? Many petroleum engineers are about to retire, but there is also rising enrollment, so I don't know if the field will be over-saturated or under-saturated.

Do you think that it will still be like this in 2017? Many petroleum engineers are about to retire, but there is also rising enrollment, so I don't know if the field will be over-saturated or under-saturated.
    Its the oilfield. About as predictable as the stock market. Get on the roller coaster and get ready for a great ride.

I would lean towards mechanical, electrical, or civil. If your looking to get in to the petroleum industry, those will get you there. If you go petroleum I think you kind of limit your options. Just my opinion. I work in the oil and gas industry.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CrappDaddy View Post
    I would lean towards mechanical, electrical, or civil. If your looking to get in to the petroleum industry, those will get you there. If you go petroleum I think you kind of limit your options. Just my opinion. I work in the oil and gas industry.
    That's not bad advice. but engineers of any discipline are in short supply. If his heart is in petroleum engineering, I don't see the industry slowing down for quite a long haul. The morons trying to put the clamp on it are only building up pressure for the industry to launch harder for the next few decades. There is no true "alternative" anywhere close to being realistic as any more than a mere supplement. The world economy is going to drive us back to the natural resources (hydrocarbon) that we (US) have aplenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    That's not bad advice. but engineers of any discipline are in short supply. If his heart is in petroleum engineering, I don't see the industry slowing down for quite a long haul. The morons trying to put the clamp on it are only building up pressure for the industry to launch harder for the next few decades. There is no true "alternative" anywhere close to being realistic as any more than a mere supplement. The world economy is going to drive us back to the natural resources (hydrocarbon) that we (US) have aplenty.

+1

11. Default Re: Petroleum Engineering Major

We are so advanced in the field that we can go as deep as anybody---but with our latest ingenuity people are calling us "FRACK U" Geaux Cajuns---You are gonna love it here!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Cool, my parents met in Brooklyn.

Girls? Lets see, Louisiana is the only University in the country with at least "3" winning Miss America/USA alumni in its ranks.
    Haha you are in for a culture shock! I am a Mechanical Grad Class of 2012 and as for the Girls there are none in your classes but we have so very good looking girls down here (yes true Southern Bells). The degree is a good but you are stuck to the petro industry (not bad mouthing it I work in it) and there are only so many thing a Petroleum can do. It is your chose but I would suggest talk to the Department heads of the two or three engineering majors you are considering and talk with some seniors from each one. the School has a great red in the Petro industry and you can get an internship with any one you want as long has you have the grades.

Quote Originally Posted by CrappDaddy View Post
    This is excellent advice. I wanted to go into the aerospace industry, but I was adviced not to major in aerospace engineering because that would over specialize me up front. So I majored in mechanical engineering.

After working in aerospace for six years, that mechanical engineering degree is what allowed me the flexibility to change industries when I wanted to. Now I'm in the oil industry as well.

14. Default Re: Petroleum Engineering Major

We have a highly successful Zillionaire that has given about 6 mill in the last 2 years to an endowed summer jobs program for engineers at UL----Heavy heavy hitter in the Patch!!!

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    We have a highly successful Zillionaire that has given about 6 mill in the last 2 years to an endowed summer jobs program for engineers at UL----Heavy heavy hitter in the Patch!!!
    Tightwad

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information