Thread: Long Scores 21 But Cajuns Fall To Middle Tennessee, 82-60

1. Ragin' Cajuns Long Scores 21 But Cajuns Fall To Middle Tennessee, 82-60

Kerry Hammonds scored 27 points, making six of Middle Tennessee’s 10 three-pointers as the Ragin’ Cajuns dropped a 82-60 decision to the Blue Raiders on Saturday evening in the Murphy Center.

Homes SO Clean

Default Re: Long Scores 21 But Cajuns Fall To Middle Tennessee, 82-60

Oh, how I long for the days when we were complaining about the basketball team not all wearing the same shoes, or their shorts being too long.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard1280 View Post
    Oh, how I long for the days when we were complaining about the basketball team not all wearing the same shoes, or their shorts being too long.
    What is going on with the Basketball team ? Miss the Marty Fletcher days!

Quote Originally Posted by Etowncajun View Post
    What is going on with the Basketball team ? Miss the Marty Fletcher days!

I know that this has been said 100 times, but we've got 1 senior, a couple of juniors, and all of the rest are freshmen & sophmores. What we want to see is progress from the beginning of the season through the tournament. We have flashes of brilliance, then the inexperience comes out. We are not too far from being very good.but it ain't going to be this year. We need to keep everyone with the team, then add a few more good freshmen next year. I hate being patient, but it "is what it is" right now.

5. Default Re: Long Scores 21 But Cajuns Fall To Middle Tennessee, 82-60

The loss of Brown's brilliant defense past the Michigan State game coupled with game day managements sacrificing of Mr Mbamalu . . . and we have what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    I know that this has been said 100 times, but we've got 1 senior, a couple of juniors, and all of the rest are freshmen & sophmores. What we want to see is progress from the beginning of the season through the tournament. We have flashes of brilliance, then the inexperience comes out. We are not too far from being very good.but it ain't going to be this year. We need to keep everyone with the team, then add a few more good freshmen next year. I hate being patient, but it "is what it is" right now.
    We may be not too far from being good.but very good , not too sure

I would put the trio of Payton, Mbamalu and Long up against any threesome from any other team in the league. They are as good as any in the Sun Belt.

The rest of the team is young and although they have had their moments, they have also had nights when they have played like freshmen.

Injuries have also hurt as six different players have missed a total of 38 games this season.

Six of the next eight are at home with road games left at UL-Monroe and Troy so the prospects for a strong finish exist.

8. Default Re: Long Scores 21 But Cajuns Fall To Middle Tennessee, 82-60

Quote Originally Posted by ULSID View Post
    I would put the trio of Payton, Mbamalu and Long up against any threesome from any other team in the league. They are as good as any in the Sun Belt.

The rest of the team is young and although they have had their moments, they have also had nights when they have played like freshmen.

Injuries have also hurt as six different players have missed a total of 38 games this season.

Six of the next eight are at home with road games left at UL-Monroe and Troy so the prospects for a strong finish exist.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by ULSID View Post

Still a good ways off from being a "very" good team.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by reddot View Post
    Still a good ways off from being a "very" good team.
    Health + retention + 1-or-2 very good key receuit(s) can = very good.

Quote Originally Posted by reddot View Post
    We may be not too far from being good.but very good , not too sure

OK, I'm and old guy. I've been going to the UL basketball games with my dad since 1965 (we had only been USL for 5 years at that time). Back when we had the "great teams" we started Seniors and Juniors. Some Sophmores would come off of the bench every once in a while, while good freshmen would get a chance at mop up duty at the end when we had a big lead. There were a few exceptions over the last 50 years, but not that many.
    Our experience mix this year is backwards. We're heavy loaded with Freshmen and Sophmores.STARTING. Unless we have the "Fab Five", we are not going to win many games. If fact, I'm suprised that we have won as many as we have.
    In the meantime, the guys that are starting as freshman will have a huge amount of experience by the time that they are Sophmores. Our record will stink this year, but next year will be hugely better. The key is getting another handful of great recruits for next year and developing them right behind the current young group. Every good recruit is not an Anthony Davis or a Bo Lamar. For the vast majority, it takes a full year with the team before they can even start to make any kind of positive contribution.
    I'm an impatient person, but I do understand where we are right now. I know we've got a few good recruits for next year and i hear the kid from Comeaux is the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    OK, I'm and old guy. I've been going to the UL basketball games with my dad since 1965 (we had only been USL for 5 years at that time)
    Not too far behind you. First attended a game in the 70-71 season.

Thread Information