• 2 - 10

2 1.05%
  • 1 - 11

1 0.52%
  • 0 - 12

7 3.66%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . LastLast

Thread: Predict 2007 FB Regular Season Record

Default Re: Predict 2007 FB Reg. Season Record (spring prediction)

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike
    _ I understand people saying they will not increase support until the product improves. I can assure you the product will not improve greatly until the financial contributions improve significantly. The financial competition in college athletics today is tremendous. The situation is the old chicken or egg question. In your case, the distance from your home to Lafayette makes your reluctance to increase support understandable. Would you feel this way if you lived in Lafayette? _
    The life blood of athletics in this day and age is adequate financial support - for coaches, venues and facilities and all things related to the athletes such as academic support, housing, etc. No program can sustain high level performance without it. We know where we are vis a vis our nonBCS peer group and we know where we must be.

We can talk about it until the proverbial cows come home, pigs fly and roosters lay eggs but it will not change that reality.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun
    _ The life blood of athletics in this day and age is adequate financial support - for coaches, venues and facilities and all things related to the athletes such as academic support, housing, etc. No program can sustain high level performance without it. We know where we are vis a vis our nonBCS peer group and we know where we must be.

We can talk about it until the proverbial cows come home, pigs fly and roosters lay eggs but it will not change that reality. _
    You are absolutely dead on. But, if you don't mind, I'd like to keep "talking" about the "reality" of it. "Winning" is a result, not a plan. Those who keep saying "winning will cure everything" are just pounding sand. It is ridiculous to talk about winning without establishing a plan to win. Winning requires a never-ending large flow of financial support, for all the reasons you mentioned. Competition is relentless in the fundraising arena in all college sports. Our efforts to-date have resulted at best in keeping up with but not exceeding our competition.

The idea that "fans" are the problem is a ridiculous notion. There are tiers of college sports fans. It is a fan pyramid. Every school has one. The diehard, never gonna give up, love you no matter what fan is at the very top of that pyramid. At the bottom (and a whole lot larger number) is the casual fan. They are a potential source of attendence and/or revenue for your school. but they do not enter the picture without a) automatic high-end entertainment (and winning) and/or b) getting caught up in the buzz and excitement of an anticipated high-end entertainment (and winning).

UL, IMHO, has penetrated about 10% over the years into its availability pyramid. I personally believe that we are in the bottom 10% of schools who are adequately taking advantage of their potential. That 10% penetration constitutes the diehards, and a smattering of others. Even though I get very irritated living here in Baton Rouge, owning UL season tickets, traveling to Lafayette to watch games, and thinking. all those UL grads/friends/family/community folks living in the Acadiana area. "do they really think that UL is beneath them for sports entertainment"? "Are they so stupid that they don't know that with their help, UL would give them back everything they are looking for. that UL is the single best investment for the future of the area. how exciting it is to have something huge happening in your own back yard. and so on?"

The truth is that they are the casual fan. They require something to draw them in and will never be prodded into joining the UL sports family. They do not show up from a guilt trip. "it is the man in the mirror" nonsense. They require a huge campaign. approaching them from 20 different angles. all positive. all with perceived benefits.

I have been an advocate of a TAF-like organization. I've witnessed what it did for LSU. Sure, different situation. but only a difference in proportinality. if we had the most financial stroke in the Sunbelt, we would be writing our ticket to many other places. I hear people talk about the RCC, and I am dang glad they exist. However, all other schools have foundations similar to RCC. I could care less what we call it, and whether it is new or a re-build of a prior foundation. The fundamental argument is "why haven't we penetrated that fan pyramid even greater?"

That fan pyramid exists. This board and radio shows in the Acadiana area only reach the existing participating fan. They do not reach what is in dire need. the wider portions of that pyramid. They are not reached thru guilt trips. "where are you guys. it is up to you?" BS. It is up to those either in the university administration who are paid to make it happen, or a group of diehards to force the experiment up a notch or 200x.

There is a fine line in saying that what is going on is inadequate. Those who work tirelessly get insulted quickly when people act like what is being done isn't enough. I would keep quiet if I were not a contributor. Currently, the only means I have of helping is contributing money, and showing up, when I can, to games. One thing that excites a diehard fan into even giving more, is the idea that the money is being well spent. I trust that my money does get spent wisely on things that need immediate need. that is not the problem. The masses (deeper in that pyramid) need to feel like a plan is in place that will result in a huge return on their investment. No one gets excited about "run and maintain". I want money going toward a bigger plan.

If the RCC and other fundraising efforts are truly considered adequate, so be it. But, I would ask that people not keep hammering the idea that "the fans" are the problem, and that they just need to give more and show up. That is like a business needing customers, getting on the intercom and berating the shoppers in the store for not being better shoppers. You are belittling those that are shopping, and you are not reaching the other customers that you need. The fans we need are deeper in that pyramid, and will not come forth without that plan. Listing "run and maintain" accomplishments is not getting to them.

Back to "winning". yes, of course, winning is one huge element in digging deeper into the fan pyramid. But again, "winning" is a result. Any coach will tell you that (if he has a brain). The coach can recruit up to his/her best, coach up to the best of his/her abililties, and the player can play as hard as he/she can. but. that happens everywhere. The master funding plan is the key to open up the next gate.

Solution: Get a college sports marketing guru with a proven track record to come in and explain how it gets done. You have to set aside your personal agendas and do what you are told, or it will not work. I have personally blamed the admin for our "run and maintain" mentality, lack of vision, and running a closed boys-club. I think they are a little scared of something they do not have both hands on the wheel of, at all times.

If you do not have the funds to hire this guru, then run a campaign to get those funds. It will be the best money this university has ever spent. Oh, provided they take his/her advice, without exception. Why do I think it will work. the Acadiana area is prime ground for college sports enthusiasts. Money isn't in everyone's pockets, but there is plenty enough for being attendees, and there aren't enough seats currently to hold them. trust me. Then, there is deep pocket money in individuals and businesses. They can be reached, and the money would come. It takes a master plan that cannot be derived internally, with the same people, thinking the same way. Get a marketing guru and let them tell us what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More
    _ You are absolutely dead on. But, if you don't mind, I'd like to keep "talking" about the "reality" of it. "Winning" is a result, not a plan. Those who keep saying "winning will cure everything" are just pounding sand. It is ridiculous to talk about winning without establishing a plan to win. Winning requires a never-ending large flow of financial support, for all the reasons you mentioned. Competition is relentless in the fundraising arena in all college sports. Our efforts to-date have resulted at best in keeping up with but not exceeding our competition.

The idea that "fans" are the problem is a ridiculous notion. There are tiers of college sports fans. It is a fan pyramid. Every school has one. The diehard, never gonna give up, love you no matter what fan is at the very top of that pyramid. At the bottom (and a whole lot larger number) is the casual fan. They are a potential source of attendence and/or revenue for your school. but they do not enter the picture without a) automatic high-end entertainment (and winning) and/or b) getting caught up in the buzz and excitement of an anticipated high-end entertainment (and winning).

UL, IMHO, has penetrated about 10% over the years into its availability pyramid. I personally believe that we are in the bottom 10% of schools who are adequately taking advantage of their potential. That 10% penetration constitutes the diehards, and a smattering of others. Even though I get very irritated living here in Baton Rouge, owning UL season tickets, traveling to Lafayette to watch games, and thinking. all those UL grads/friends/family/community folks living in the Acadiana area. "do they really think that UL is beneath them for sports entertainment"? "Are they so stupid that they don't know that with their help, UL would give them back everything they are looking for. that UL is the single best investment for the future of the area. how exciting it is to have something huge happening in your own back yard. and so on?"

The truth is that they are the casual fan. They require something to draw them in and will never be prodded into joining the UL sports family. They do not show up from a guilt trip. "it is the man in the mirror" nonsense. They require a huge campaign. approaching them from 20 different angles. all positive. all with perceived benefits.

I have been an advocate of a TAF-like organization. I've witnessed what it did for LSU. Sure, different situation. but only a difference in proportinality. if we had the most financial stroke in the Sunbelt, we would be writing our ticket to many other places. I hear people talk about the RCC, and I am dang glad they exist. However, all other schools have foundations similar to RCC. I could care less what we call it, and whether it is new or a re-build of a prior foundation. The fundamental argument is "why haven't we penetrated that fan pyramid even greater?"

That fan pyramid exists. This board and radio shows in the Acadiana area only reach the existing participating fan. They do not reach what is in dire need. the wider portions of that pyramid. They are not reached thru guilt trips. "where are you guys. it is up to you?" BS. It is up to those either in the university administration who are paid to make it happen, or a group of diehards to force the experiment up a notch or 200x.

There is a fine line in saying that what is going on is inadequate. Those who work tirelessly get insulted quickly when people act like what is being done isn't enough. I would keep quiet if I were not a contributor. Currently, the only means I have of helping is contributing money, and showing up, when I can, to games. One thing that excites a diehard fan into even giving more, is the idea that the money is being well spent. I trust that my money does get spent wisely on things that need immediate need. that is not the problem. The masses (deeper in that pyramid) need to feel like a plan is in place that will result in a huge return on their investment. No one gets excited about "run and maintain". I want money going toward a bigger plan.

If the RCC and other fundraising efforts are truly considered adequate, so be it. But, I would ask that people not keep hammering the idea that "the fans" are the problem, and that they just need to give more and show up. That is like a business needing customers, getting on the intercom and berating the shoppers in the store for not being better shoppers. You are belittling those that are shopping, and you are not reaching the other customers that you need. The fans we need are deeper in that pyramid, and will not come forth without that plan. Listing "run and maintain" accomplishments is not getting to them.

Back to "winning". yes, of course, winning is one huge element in digging deeper into the fan pyramid. But again, "winning" is a result. Any coach will tell you that (if he has a brain). The coach can recruit up to his/her best, coach up to the best of his/her abililties, and the player can play as hard as he/she can. but. that happens everywhere. The master funding plan is the key to open up the next gate.

Solution: Get a college sports marketing guru with a proven track record to come in and explain how it gets done. You have to set aside your personal agendas and do what you are told, or it will not work. I have personally blamed the admin for our "run and maintain" mentality, lack of vision, and running a closed boys-club. I think they are a little scared of something they do not have both hands on the wheel of, at all times.

If you do not have the funds to hire this guru, then run a campaign to get those funds. It will be the best money this university has ever spent. Oh, provided they take his/her advice, without exception. Why do I think it will work. the Acadiana area is prime ground for college sports enthusiasts. Money isn't in everyone's pockets, but there is plenty enough for being attendees, and there aren't enough seats currently to hold them. trust me. Then, there is deep pocket money in individuals and businesses. They can be reached, and the money would come. It takes a master plan that cannot be derived internally, with the same people, thinking the same way. Get a marketing guru and let them tell us what to do. _
    Great job. I think you've finally put this into a context for all to understand. All the quipping back and forth through the years between various posters trying to explain the fan/fundraising issues and I think this post nails it. You've done an excellent job of explaining it. Need to archive this one. Every MAJOR college sports venue in the country is heavily dependent on the average fan.

Default Re: Predict 2007 FB Regular Season Record

To the people who picked an 0 - 12 record, please remember we are playing McNeese this year.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by dt68la
    _ To the people who picked an 0 - 12 record, please remember we are playing McNeese this year. _
    that's pretty damn funny.

Hey, does anyone want to change their vote if MD isn't under center to start the season, and lined up as a WR instead????

UL Football Re: Predict 2007 FB Regular Season Record

It's the McNeese folks that voted for 0-12.

Quote Originally Posted by gorcajun
    _ It's the McNeese folks that voted for 0-12. _
    I think the poll spread shows a pretty realistic look at where we are. Anywhere from 9-3 to 6-6 is the most likely scenario. It depends on a lot of variables for our team plus the opponents over the course of the season. Anyone who is picking 12-0 or 0-12 is just making a statement about themselves. Pretty much the same thing for those picking 1-11, 2-10, 11-1, & 10-2. None of those is likely to happen. I picked 7-5. I hope we do better and I think we are capable of achieving better. But our history suggests that we typically underachieve. That is my greatest hope for Coach Bustle: that he'll change that legacy! I think he is starting to get it to change. Like many here, I think this is a pivotal year for the Bustle era. I feel he will get it done. Geaux Cajuns!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gorcajun
    It's the McNeese folks that voted for 0-12.
    could also be some of the other riff-raff that customarily grace us with their prescence.

L'Ronte'

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2
    I think the poll spread shows a pretty realistic look at where we are. Anywhere from 9-3 to 6-6 is the most likely scenario. It depends on a lot of variables for our team plus the opponents over the course of the season. Anyone who is picking 12-0 or 0-12 is just making a statement about themselves. Pretty much the same thing for those picking 1-11, 2-10, 11-1, & 10-2. None of those is likely to happen. I picked 7-5. I hope we do better and I think we are capable of achieving better. But our history suggests that we typically underachieve. That is my greatest hope for Coach Bustle: that he'll change that legacy! I think he is starting to get it to change. Like many here, I think this is a pivotal year for the Bustle era. I feel he will get it done. Geaux Cajuns!!!!
    You took the words right out of my mouth. This is a pivotal year for Bustle and the program. An upset of USC would be nice but we must pound McNeese and have a shot at the conference title.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2
    _ I think the poll spread shows a pretty realistic look at where we are. Anywhere from 9-3 to 6-6 is the most likely scenario. It depends on a lot of variables for our team plus the opponents over the course of the season. Anyone who is picking 12-0 or 0-12 is just making a statement about themselves. Pretty much the same thing for those picking 1-11, 2-10, 11-1, & 10-2. None of those is likely to happen. I picked 7-5. I hope we do better and I think we are capable of achieving better. But our history suggests that we typically underachieve. That is my greatest hope for Coach Bustle: that he'll change that legacy! I think he is starting to get it to change. Like many here, I think this is a pivotal year for the Bustle era. I feel he will get it done. Geaux Cajuns!!!! _
    MT was picked to finish near the bottom or the middle of the pack of the SBC in many polls before last season.

The SBC is very balanced.

There are 10 games on our schedule that could, quite frankly, go either way.

The difference comes by having more playmakers than the other guys and puting them in position to make those plays on both sides of the ball.

We failed at that the second half of last season. Let's hope that was a temporary thing.

UL Football Re: Predict 2007 FB Regular Season Record

Quote Originally Posted by HOTBOUDIN
    _ MT was picked to finish near the bottom or the middle of the pack of the SBC in many polls before last season.

The SBC is very balanced.

There are 10 games on our schedule that could, quite frankly, go either way.

The difference comes by having more playmakers than the other guys and puting them in position to make those plays on both sides of the ball.

We failed at that the second half of last season. Let's hope that was a temporary thing. _
    HB, I think there is a lot of uncertainty in the Sun Belt every year.

Coaches are famous for picking badly. I think it is because they always view things as half empty for themselves and half full for others. So I never put much faith in their picks.

Media Picks? Geez is there any wonder they don't know who to pick, after all they are almost all at a BCS game.

The Cajuns and MoanROW came out of nowhere two years ago, NT fell without real warning, and last year Middle came on fast.

IMO there is a lot of uncertainty about the players that are signed. Most are 1A projections but not solid 1A and there are as many misses as hits. In addition some solid 1A kids signed in the Sun Belt were projected as academic casualties by BCS schools and pulled an academic upset making their scores. With all that in play I think there will always be a lot of potential for every team from year to year.

Right now Troy seems to be the team most consistent year in and year out. I take their entire record into account, not just the Sun Belt years. Some say there is a NCAA spanking waiting to happen, I have no view on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Express
    _ HB, I think there is a lot of uncertainty in the Sun Belt every year.

Coaches are famous for picking badly. I think it is because they always view things as half empty for themselves and half full for others. So I never put much faith in their picks.

Media Picks? Geez is there any wonder they don't know who to pick, after all they are almost all at a BCS game.

The Cajuns and MoanROW came out of nowhere two years ago, NT fell without real warning, and last year Middle came on fast.

IMO there is a lot of uncertainty about the players that are signed. Most are 1A projections but not solid 1A and there are as many misses as hits. In addition some solid 1A kids signed in the Sun Belt were projected as academic casualties by BCS schools and pulled an academic upset making their scores. With all that in play I think there will always be a lot of potential for every team from year to year.

Right now Troy seems to be the team most consistent year in and year out. I take their entire record into account, not just the Sun Belt years. Some say there is a NCAA spanking waiting to happen, I have no view on that. _
    NCAA spanking, what do you mean?

This is so COOL Re: Predict 2007 FB Regular Season Record

Quote Originally Posted by J-Town Cajun
    _ NCAA spanking, what do you mean? _
    Rumors of inappropriate recruiting practices. The key word is rumor.

Having time to think over my prediction for the upcoming season has left me a little worried. My fears have been backed up by several pre-season publications which predict us to finish near the bottom of the SBC.

I predict 6-6, and I'm being optimistic.

This is not without reason.

1) This team took a nose dive to finish last season. People look for trends.

2) Our defense SUCKS. Don't let anybody tell you different. Only one school gave up more points in conference than us, FIU. We cannot force turnovers either.

3) Our offense is very good at racking up rushing yards, not much else. Only two schools scored less points in conference than us. UNT and FIU.

4) We were a one trick pony last season with Fenroy. Babb was ineffective in throwing and people figure Desmo won't be any better.

5) Coaching changes. We have 2 new coordinators. That usually means a transition year while the players learn new schemes and the coaches learn which players they can count on.

6) Outside of the Houston win, the combined records of the teams we beat last season was 12-47 with no winning records.

7) We do not live in a bubble. MT and Troy could have Top-25 caliber ball clubs this year. I'm not kidding. Arkansas State is not far behind. FAU has the talent to win the league. They are young, experienced, and hungry. ULM has almost everybody back from a team that kicked our tails last season.

I hate to be so negative, but I have to call it like I see it. I'm afraid we are in for another non-winning season.

IMHO, for us to finish with a winning record and a top 3 conference placing would be the result of an unbelievable coaching job by this staff which would warrant an immediate extension and raise. It would also mean that a lot of players on this team stepped up their play, big time.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

wow.

Z.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . LastLast

Thread Information