Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shawn Long SBC Player of the Week

1. Default Shawn Long SBC Player of the Week

Per Buckley Tweet: UL C Shawn Long (31 points, 30 rebounds, 5 blocks in two games) is the Sun Belt Conference men's basketball Player of the Week.

2. Ragin' Cajuns Men's Basketball: Shawn Long Named Sun Belt Player of the Week

Shawn Long, whose 17 points and 16 rebounds helped the Cajuns defeat Arkansas State on Saturday, has been named the Sun Belt Conference Men’s Basketball Player of the Week. The league office made the announcement on Monday morning.

Default Re: Shawn Long SBC Player of the Week

LAFAYETTE, La. -- Shawn Long, whose 17 points and 16 rebounds helped the Cajuns defeat Arkansas State on Saturday, has been named the Sun Belt Conference Men’s Basketball Player of the Week. The league office made the announcement on Monday morning.

“Shawn has played such an important role in the development that this program has shown since the start of the season and I am happy to see that he is getting some recognition for the hard work that he has put in,” head coach Bob Marlin said.

“Playing short-handed on Saturday without one of our best scorers, Shawn really stepped up his play at both ends of the court. He played some solid defense inside and was continually the person to bring down the important rebounds. He had a nice performance.”

Long, a 6-9, 243-pound freshman from Morgan City, La., averaged 15.5 points and 15.0 rebounds in the two games last week. He scored 14 points with 14 rebounds and five blocks in a 91-89 double overtime loss to South Alabama on Thursday (Jan. 10). He came back on Saturday to record his 10th double-double of the season with his 16 rebounds falling one shy of his career rebounding high.

Long ranks fourth in the nation in double-doubles, one short of the national leaders.

Aided by 30 rebounds in the two games last week, Long took over the national lead for freshman rebounding this year. He has grabbed 187 rebounds in 19 games (9.8 rpg) to move ahead of Longwood’s Michael Kessens (9.5) and Binghamton’s Jordan Reed (9.4).

Long leads the Sun Belt in defensive rebounding (7.1), is second in rebounding (9.8), third in scoring (16.7), fourth in blocked shots (2.0) and seventh in offensive rebounds (2.7)

Long and the Cajuns continue Sun Belt play this week, traveling to Bowling Green, Ky. to face Western Kentucky on Thursday (Jan. 17) at 7:00 p.m. and then onto Murfreesboro, Tenn. for a 5:30 p.m. game on Saturday (Jan. 19) at Middle Tennessee. The WKU game will be available on ESPN3.com.

Brian McCann
    Sports Information Director

4. Default Re: Shawn Long SBC Player of the Week

"Long Leads The Nation In Freshman Rebounding"

Wow way to go Shawn

Will be an all American before he leaves here

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Will be an all American before he leaves here
    Hopefully he won't be so good that he leaves after this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankruptcyman View Post
    Hopefully he won't be so good that he leaves after this year.
    I think he will stay. He is getting plenty of PT, close to home. I've heard from several people that regardless of wins and losses that this team really likes each other. I don't know if he would wanna sit out another year also.

He is not going anywhere. He does not want to sit out another year and he is close to his family. He has a child in Morgan City. Hopefully we can get a big man and he can play his proper position.

I actually think in the SBC, he is better off playing the 5, because 5's have trouble guarding him. And, in Marlin's system, the 5 plays on the perimeter as much as in the low post.

Additionally, I think Shawn would have trouble guarding 6'5 6'6 PF's.

"Long ranks fourth in the nation in double-doubles, one short of the national leaders."

Congratulations Shawn Long! Keep up the good work.
    Good luck Cajuns on your road trip.

11. Default Re: Shawn Long SBC Player of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    I actually think in the SBC, he is better off playing the 5, because 5's have trouble guarding him. And, in Marlin's system, the 5 plays on the perimeter as much as in the low post.

Additionally, I think Shawn would have trouble guarding 6'5 6'6 PF's.
    Well I think he would be deadly at a high post with a biggie bouncing along in the Paint---Man with Colby we would be so good this year---setting picks for Long and rolling and Long keeping the other big guy away!!! and killing any 3-2 matchups!!!

I thought Colby was only OK. Remember, as a Jr. Kadeem was averaging 9 pts and 4 rebounds. Long as a freshman is averaging 17pts 10 rbs against arguably a better schedule. I think Long would be much better with Brian Hamilton style 4 man around.

I actually think if we had Coleby we might not be as good offensively. I just don't think he would compliment Long well.

13. Default Re: Shawn Long SBC Player of the Week

DA BODY!!!

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post
    "Long ranks fourth in the nation in double-doubles, one short of the national leaders."

Congratulations Shawn Long! Keep up the good work.
    Good luck Cajuns on your road trip.
    This. twice.

Congratulations Shawn Long and Elfrid Payton. Keep up the good effort. Good luck vs WKU and MTSU.
    Go Cajuns!

"CAJUNS IN THE NCAA STATS: The Cajuns received several mentions in the NCAA basketball statistics, which were released on Monday (Jan. 14) and include games through Jan. 13. Individually, Shawn Long ranked fourth nationally in double-doubles (10), 21st in rebounds (9.8) and 60th in blocks (2.0) while Elfrid Payton is 33rd in steals (2.3) and 49th in assists (5.2)." --- UL-SID

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information