Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UL Football: "Spirit of 76" with Ron Gomez

1. Default UL Football: "Spirit of 76" with Ron Gomez

Enjoy the voice of Ron Gomez as he recaps the fantastic UL football season of 1976.

Spirit of 76 (audio)

Thank you Ron Gomez

2. Default Re: UL Football: "Spirit of 76" with Ron Gomez

The more I think about it ----we did some pretty damn good stuff back then---Think that they will love the video!!! Great voice and how about the background music???? Little misty time also with the last song and FRANK SINATRA!!!!

3. Default Re: UL Football: "Spirit of 76" with Ron Gomez

For the record Boomer is the best idea man around.

Thanks Boomer . . . for the motivation and tools.

Default Re: UL Football: "Spirit of 76" with Ron Gomez

Ron still has it, he should just say UL though. Really brings me back.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Enjoy the voice of Ron Gomez as he recaps the fantastic UL football season of 1976.

Spirit of 76 (audio)

Audio extracted from video . . . video coming soon.

Thank you Ron Gomez
    That was my senior football season. My freshman season was the 0-10 fiasco, followed by 2-9, then 6-5, then the 9-2. It was an emotion-filled year because of the incremental improvement. It sustained me for the 30 mostly hard years after that. Those of you who wonder why some of us "older folks" have expressed frustration with the administration and athletic department need only hear the propaganda and the "imminent" major expansion promised to fans in that clip, which to date still hasn't been delivered. We're fit to be tied.

It's interesting that I had to go to a University of Houston site to see the stadium drawing. I had never seen this one before.

I look forward to seeing the video. The Sinatra serenade along with Ron Gomez's voice promised precisely the kind of future we've been waiting decades for.

To UL, don't you dare lead a generation on the way you did my generation for the major part of a lifetime and fail to make that rendition a reality. We're still waiting.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CajunGator View Post
    Since it was recorded in either late 1976 or early 1977 I give him a UL pass.

I am struck by the optimism and I think it was legit at the time.

Especially considering Cajun Field was only 5 years old.

Thank you very much for posting this. I had heard about the spirit of 76 video but never saw or heard it. If I am disapointed about on thing it is this, I was hoping to hear Ron Gomez say Augie's Dogies, man I loved hearing that.

8. Default

Spirit of 76 (audio)

Thank you Ron Gomez
    Everybody was big time, then the Fossil squeezed,and squeezed the life out.

Now or AD thinks it is OK to be left behind I'm a reduced Sun Belt per his interview on BEV.

Oh, he does not say a reduced, but that is what it is! We had propaganda with a vision, now not so fast fans, we gotta stay real.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunGator View Post
    This video was done back in the late 70s (35 years ago). The facilities we've worn out and are still using today were built well before that. UL has tripled the number of alumni since we built Cajun Field. And we've quadrupled the number of living alumni. We've added 20 times the wealth to the pockets of alumni in that period. Lafayette's growth spurt followed, didn't precede, the construction of those facilities.

But, we're worried about building a new Cajun Field.

In the late 70s inflation was at an all time high. Jimmy Carter led our country into the darkest times in US history. He reportedly had the highest IQ of any president ever, and supposedly read 7 international newspapers every morning. He's an "intellectual". He and his conservationist loyalists told the world we'd run out of oil by 1990 and natural gas by 1995... all of it... at the rate we were consuming back then.

Following his presidency, the world's appetite for fossil fuel went through the roof. In 2013, we are burning it 1000 times cleaner, safer, more efficient, with much less impact to our environment, and at an incredible rate of consumption... yet we have modern day morons fabricating new claims the eager are more than willing to dine on.

We are now reporting we have 100 years plus of natural gas, at much greater rate of use, for all of the US internal needs. We also are producing, through hydraulic fracking, enough oil to meet our own oil needs with only the imports from Canada and Mexico. Pretty cool, huh?

And, more and more scientists are studying potential atmospheric counter-measures to the production of greenhouse gases. Data is showing we actually have decades to solve any speculated worst case issues. The only fear is that global governments, including the US, will take drastic measures, including disallowing private industry the opportunity to solve and advance mankind through the implementation of modern science. But, in the meantime, we can expect more worldwide unemployment, lack of productivity, expectations of unearned entitlements, and endless use of pandering to the ignorant to make political gains by wannabe dictators.

Oh... but doesn't Ron Gomez have a great voice. I wish he were still doing UL games.

If you think the audio is great wait until you see the video. We could really play back then! Those that endured the last few Stokley years and Baldwin forget that we have had some excellent football teams over the years. That 1976 team finished 9-2 beat Fresno State and Cincinnati. The two loses were to Northwestern 7-3 on the road in a driving rainstorm and to McNeese 20-19 (Rafeal Septien missed 2 extra points and he blamed the holder). 5 points from being undefeated. We also had numerous players that were invited to NFL camps and several lasted until the final cuts.

11. Default Re: UL Football: "Spirit of 76" with Ron Gomez

I was about to blast J1M ( ) for bringing politics and petro into the thread until I realized the connection.

UL was 7-0 the day President Carter was elected, and went 2-2 the rest of the way.

On a personal note it was also the year (age 16) I realized I couldn't aFORD the CARter, I wanted so I bought a Valiant for $600.

All I know is the 1976 team was running on all cylinders for most of the year . . . then we ran out of gas.

12. Default Re: UL Football: "Spirit of 76" with Ron Gomez

Quote Originally Posted by OldBullDog View Post
    Thank you very much for posting this. I had heard about the spirit of 76 video but never saw or heard it. If I am disapointed about on thing it is this, I was hoping to hear Ron Gomez say Augie's Dogies, man I loved hearing that.
    ----Actually the term was used earlier by me and a student player that helped me with recruiting----WE had signed 5-6 that year from St. Aug and there was part of an Elton John song about I don't know but it sounded like Augie doggies---but it was a reference of the St Aug kids that became UL footballers and we still kinda used Bulldogs at times--Louis Age was our first St Augy followed by Leroy Boudreaux and then the flood!!! My wife use to hold lil Lou in her arms and his afro was almost as big as his face---Lil Lou became 6'6" 320 pound Louis Age that played for Stokley!!!

Thanks Turbine for this post. Brings back a lot of memories.
    Can't wait for the video.

when is video coming out?

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Spirit of 76 (audio)

Thank you Ron Gomez
    If people thought the audio brought back memories... the video is going to blow their mind. Was the video not archived digitally? What do you have to do to get it available to us?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information