Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: NO LIKE NEW SBC RULE ( Revenue Sharing )

Default Re: NO LIKE NEW RULE

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Rebel, have you ever heard of someone that doesn't have the prettiest resume, but is persistent at demanding an interview, has an enormous amount of willingness, confidence and commitment to achieve beyond their resume. and can explain the resume weakness as a thing of the past? We don't have the prettiest resume. granted. But, conferences don't just look at resumes in the selection light you mention. We all agree that the majority of candidates have better resumes than we do. but even they go out and lobby conferences above their heads. Many of the schools that successfully move to better conference associations, their president, AD and major boosters, lobby the living snot out of the other member presidents, AD and major boosters. They put their absolute best presentations about their future vision for their university athletics. they exaggerate the market they command. and then they close by telling them that they will go "all in" with facility improvements, fund raising, and every other mechanism at their disposal to raise their program.

Again, it is not just about the snapshot Google resume that gets you in to a better conference. "That" is what people are talking about on here. You keep taking only current revenue and whatever market size others have tagged us with, and insist that it is the only criteria these conference members evaluate. There are programs for the past 50 years that have lobbied and succeeded. against the grain. to obtain new improved conference membership.

You talk about Tech's millionaire backers. They have 5 backers that make the difference for them. To equal one of their largest supporters, we will have to reach out to 20 people. That "reach" isn't a phone call or letter in the mail. It requires proofs of commitment, much improved over our past. There are 100 people available in the multi-millionaire status that are actually accessible to UL. They didn't make or retain their money by being suckers for the likes of puffy, non-committal, academian only, narrow-minded, deep tunnel thinkers. They like to associate their money. just like Davison. with brash, at the ready, wide perspective, capital intense, leaders. Also, Tech leadership has to allow Davison and a few other Tech supporters a place at the decision table. Our leadership does not like that concept. They do not like non UL System employees, especially with money, to have a place in deciding the path forward. At UL, it will have to be that they allow 20 upper level business citizens a voice in the athletic future of our school. Not just information and updates. decision-making rights. They want their money. but not if they have to make bold commitments and are held accountable to those supporters.

Now. We have 3 of those 20 actually sending big checks to UL. 3. We do not have a Davison in those 3. 8 of those 20 are currently pretty large LSU system donors. They are not "making LSU". but they enjoy believing that the dollars they provide are supporting a stellar athletic system that hoards of people around the country see "Louisiana" in the name. and that Louisiana citizen gets to puff his chest out for once on the national scene. That Acadiana businessman does not mind one bit supporting UL at some level. He only needs to know that the leaders of the university ARE NOT weak in the face of challenges or disrespectful of the flash and flare of capitalists. They need to know that the leadership is going to put their neck on the line first. and they will laugh at their surprise when they add two more zeros to the check our leadership thought was coming. They ARE NOT going to cut a check to weak people. unless it's the children of St. Jude's. They are not going to look at a grown man in a puffy red jacket and cut that man a check unless they know that man has ape size leadership gonads.

T-Joe has to display a willingness to step way beyond the confines of Louisiana historical university protocol. He has to break rank with his academian "advisors". He has to see the critically overlooked association needed with UL athletics and the business community. We ARE NOT doing anything special at UL right now. We ARE playing to the lowest athletic common denominator. We are limping in to everything we do athletically. Nothing ever that was in any way spectacular, done by mankind, EVER happened by limping in.

Non aggressive non-capitalists have enjoyed the fruit of the stallion get-it-done people for decades. They go through the motions in this country and just because it works out most of the time. they credit themselves with "the accomplishment". UL is not accomplishing jack with athletics beyond the stack of programs we're in competition with. T-Joe has to be the one single operator that changes that.

T-Joe has to do precisely what he said when he took over at UL. He has to take out the loans for athletics. Of course, we all know now he meant. if everyone holds my hand. if the timing is perfect. if the stars and the moon are aligned. if I've studied it indefinitely and it looks easy to do. if it doesn't upset my academian friends. if others don't object. if I have undivided support. if the coast is clear. if there are no obstacles in my way. if the board of the board of the board of the board gives me a smile and unanimous approval. I might just consider taking out a small loan for athletics.

Someone has given T-Joe a false assumption that winning a bowl game and making it to another. and the support and money that are derived from that. somehow correlate to the available funds and support in the area. It is a pathetically disconnected association. The far greater support association is the verifiable proof that the current president is not anything like the former. That requires a grand leap out of the confines of Martin Hall. It requires a new breed of unity with the business community, their knowledge, power and wisdom. A kind of wisdom that has never been available to an academian.
    BRILLIANT!

It's fine to share the revenue I guess, but I would add one caveat . you limit the revenue each bowl school has to pay to the MINIMUM amount out of the participating bowl schools. This means, say WKU made the least amount and we made the most amount; just say WKU's portion to pay would be $10k and our portion would be $100k . with this change we (and the other bowl conference teams) would be obligated to pay $10k. That way we aren't paying for ObamaBowl.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I agree.

PS So Roam was built in a day!
    There s a story behind this Jon Next time I see you ask me about it. A bit of the old school LHS/Acadiana rivalry!!

Z

ps actually should have read Rome? Roam the street!!

Default Revenue Sharing

I was reading some articals and found this:
    "Last year, the Cajuns kept all of their bowl share of sold tickets. A new Sun Belt Conference regulation this year requires a 50-50 split with the league on bowl ticket revenues which cuts into the Cajuns' share, but UL will also share from ticket sales at the league's other three bowl teams -- Western Kentucky in the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl Dec. 26, UL Monroe in the AdvoCare V100 Independence Bowl Dec. 28 in Shreveport, and Arkansas State in the GoDaddy.com Bowl in Mobile Jan. 6."

Does anyone know how the ticket sales are going for the other three Sun Belt bowl games? Since we will most likely be putting in the majority of revenue sharing!

Default Re: Revenue Sharing

Interestingly, it sounds as though we share in the ticket sale $$, not in their net gain, if any, after expenses. Is this the case??

Default Re: NO LIKE NEW SBC RULE ( Revenue Sharing )

So all the years we did not get invited to post season bowl games we got no revenue from the Sunbelt teams who were invited. Now that The Cajuns are finally playing in bowl games and selling more tickets than any other Sunbelt teams, the conference changes the rules and we have to share the revenue with the whole conference. Seems a little unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    So all the years we did not get invited to post season bowl games we got no revenue from the Sunbelt teams who were invited. Now that The Cajuns are finally playing in bowl games and selling more tickets than any other Sunbelt teams, the conference changes the rules and we have to share the revenue with the whole conference. Seems a little unfair.
    A LITTLE?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Rebel, have you ever heard of someone that doesn't have the prettiest resume, but is persistent at demanding an interview, has an enormous amount of willingness, confidence and commitment to achieve beyond their resume. and can explain the resume weakness as a thing of the past? We don't have the prettiest resume. granted. But, conferences don't just look at resumes in the selection light you mention. We all agree that the majority of candidates have better resumes than we do. but even they go out and lobby conferences above their heads. Many of the schools that successfully move to better conference associations, their president, AD and major boosters, lobby the living snot out of the other member presidents, AD and major boosters. They put their absolute best presentations about their future vision for their university athletics. they exaggerate the market they command. and then they close by telling them that they will go "all in" with facility improvements, fund raising, and every other mechanism at their disposal to raise their program.

Again, it is not just about the snapshot Google resume that gets you in to a better conference. "That" is what people are talking about on here. You keep taking only current revenue and whatever market size others have tagged us with, and insist that it is the only criteria these conference members evaluate. There are programs for the past 50 years that have lobbied and succeeded. against the grain. to obtain new improved conference membership.

You talk about Tech's millionaire backers. They have 5 backers that make the difference for them. To equal one of their largest supporters, we will have to reach out to 20 people. That "reach" isn't a phone call or letter in the mail. It requires proofs of commitment, much improved over our past. There are 100 people available in the multi-millionaire status that are actually accessible to UL. They didn't make or retain their money by being suckers for the likes of puffy, non-committal, academian only, narrow-minded, deep tunnel thinkers. They like to associate their money. just like Davison. with brash, at the ready, wide perspective, capital intense, leaders. Also, Tech leadership has to allow Davison and a few other Tech supporters a place at the decision table. Our leadership does not like that concept. They do not like non UL System employees, especially with money, to have a place in deciding the path forward. At UL, it will have to be that they allow 20 upper level business citizens a voice in the athletic future of our school. Not just information and updates. decision-making rights. They want their money. but not if they have to make bold commitments and are held accountable to those supporters.

Now. We have 3 of those 20 actually sending big checks to UL. 3. We do not have a Davison in those 3. 8 of those 20 are currently pretty large LSU system donors. They are not "making LSU". but they enjoy believing that the dollars they provide are supporting a stellar athletic system that hoards of people around the country see "Louisiana" in the name. and that Louisiana citizen gets to puff his chest out for once on the national scene. That Acadiana businessman does not mind one bit supporting UL at some level. He only needs to know that the leaders of the university ARE NOT weak in the face of challenges or disrespectful of the flash and flare of capitalists. They need to know that the leadership is going to put their neck on the line first. and they will laugh at their surprise when they add two more zeros to the check our leadership thought was coming. They ARE NOT going to cut a check to weak people. unless it's the children of St. Jude's. They are not going to look at a grown man in a puffy red jacket and cut that man a check unless they know that man has ape size leadership gonads.

T-Joe has to display a willingness to step way beyond the confines of Louisiana historical university protocol. He has to break rank with his academian "advisors". He has to see the critically overlooked association needed with UL athletics and the business community. We ARE NOT doing anything special at UL right now. We ARE playing to the lowest athletic common denominator. We are limping in to everything we do athletically. Nothing ever that was in any way spectacular, done by mankind, EVER happened by limping in.

Non aggressive non-capitalists have enjoyed the fruit of the stallion get-it-done people for decades. They go through the motions in this country and just because it works out most of the time. they credit themselves with "the accomplishment". UL is not accomplishing jack with athletics beyond the stack of programs we're in competition with. T-Joe has to be the one single operator that changes that.

T-Joe has to do precisely what he said when he took over at UL. He has to take out the loans for athletics. Of course, we all know now he meant. if everyone holds my hand. if the timing is perfect. if the stars and the moon are aligned. if I've studied it indefinitely and it looks easy to do. if it doesn't upset my academian friends. if others don't object. if I have undivided support. if the coast is clear. if there are no obstacles in my way. if the board of the board of the board of the board gives me a smile and unanimous approval. I might just consider taking out a small loan for athletics.

Someone has given T-Joe a false assumption that winning a bowl game and making it to another. and the support and money that are derived from that. somehow correlate to the available funds and support in the area. It is a pathetically disconnected association. The far greater support association is the verifiable proof that the current president is not anything like the former. That requires a grand leap out of the confines of Martin Hall. It requires a new breed of unity with the business community, their knowledge, power and wisdom. A kind of wisdom that has never been available to an academian.
    In the past 10 years the programs that have moved up to a better conference were the ones that have had either the biggest media market or the biggest budget of all the schools available to choose from. And these schools were almost always selected in order of whose media market and budget were biggest. In his Advertiser interview Farmer straight up said that C-USA wasn't interested in us because our budget and media market were too small.

Sure there are other things conferences take into consideration: geography, on field success, academics, fan support, "vision," etc. but numero uno and numero dos is budget and media market. We absolutely, positively need to address either #1 and #2 if we want to be attractive to a better conference. Everything else is secondary.

You use the analogy of a resume so I'll use it too. If you want to work at an engineering firm you need an engineering degree. It doesn't matter how much want-to or ability you have. If you don't have that degree the engineering firm is not going to be interested. Right now UL wants to get a great job. But it doesn't have the degree (bigger budget) to get it yet. And that's why we haven't been interviewed by C-USA yet. We have the desire and the ability and all the intangibles to be a great employee but we've got to get that degree.

As to the rest of your statements, well I pretty much agree with them. I really do.

I've been thinking about his thread since it started last night and I've come up with a couple of thoughts. 1.) This revenue sharing idea might have been a plan by the powers to be to encourage any schools that might be thinking about leaving to stay. I'm sure Middle Tennessee and the FL school only came as a surprise to you and I who are way down on the food chain. 2.) Once the revenue sharing idea was passed it made it real difficult of some of the powers to be to help a school that was leaving to appear in a bowl knowing they would just be taking the money and run.

10. UL Football Re: NO LIKE NEW SBC RULE ( Revenue Sharing )

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    If I read the article correctly that is not the case. The only teams splitting bowl money are the teams in bowls. This is to help offset their expenses. So for example USA a football member, or URLR basketball member do not partake in the bowl money.

http://www.athleticnetwork.net/site7&newsID=13476

The bad news is WKU is not selling many, their fans actually counting tickets sold in some jargon called we sold x number of buses. Of course the Hoax are buying outside of the athletic ticket office so their money is not good. Indy Bowl give best tickets to sponsors, and thus the teams have a hard time meeting their allocation with so many poor seats.

Bottom line UL will sell the most by far, followed by ASU. The other two are pretty much welfare queens waiting for the food coupons, and housing subsidy.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Once again.screw the conference. Their barely is a conference anymore. Starting to like the sound of Cajunnation's idea of going Independent.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    Tech does not have a bigger TV market than UL .and go back and read Houston Cajuns post again.We have been caught twice this year with our pants downLA. Tech got in because they had the vision years ago to go to the WAC and roll the dice.and had the vision to fight like hell to get into CUSAwe enjoy telling everyone that we do more with less. We will be adding at least 2 FCS programs to the league. This will affect our recruiting. FAU, La. Tech, UNT, UTSA and UNCC all have budgets under 20 million, which is the level that CUSA wishes all members to be at. All were given a 3 year grace period to reach that level. All of the mentioned schools with the exception of La. Tech are located in large media markets. Our budget this year will come in at over 15 million. If we were allowed to spend all state money that is allotted to athletics it would be over 16 million. We must be proactive in selling ourselves to CUSA. Currently there is no movement by CUSA to add more than the 14 that are members. I believe that they will eventually lose at least 2 more,UTEP and Tulsa. 4 possible adds down the road. Will we be aggressive in pursueing this or content to be left behind with ULM and a bucket full of FCS start ups.some of the Southland Conference schools? Try raising money on the fact that we are back where we were over 30 years ago
    UL is inside the Lafayette media market which has a population of 462,300.
    Because Tech is covered by the Shreveport and Monroe media markets they can claim both of them. 352,900+129,000=481,900
    Tech's MEDIA MARKET is larger.

Their budget will also be rising to that 20 million dollar level thanks to donations from richer folks than you and I.

Spoke with ulm fan who bought tickets that bought I-bowl tickets. The tickets through Advo care are actually $10 cheaper through ULM. He bought us tickets through Advo Care instead of the school. This is why they're not selling very many tickets.

14. UL Football Re: NO LIKE NEW SBC RULE ( Revenue Sharing )

Quote Originally Posted by naF nujaC View Post
    I've been thinking about his thread since it started last night and I've come up with a couple of thoughts. 1.) This revenue sharing idea might have been a plan by the powers to be to encourage any schools that might be thinking about leaving to stay. I'm sure Middle Tennessee and the FL school only came as a surprise to you and I who are way down on the food chain. 2.) Once the revenue sharing idea was passed it made it real difficult of some of the powers to be to help a school that was leaving to appear in a bowl knowing they would just be taking the money and run.
    You would have to be so far down the food chain that you simply were not reading what Middle was doing. It has been a virtual reality since the last C USA move they were next, or the president was going to be hung, and not in effigy. For Farmer, and Benson to say they were surprised by the move is to say they had their heads so far up their ____ nothing could penetrate sound, light, or smell.

FAU was of course for FIU and that was known for weeks before this latest miss.

Brother you do not have to be high up on any food chain, just be an interested RaginCajun wondering where we might end up, and doing a little googling.

Lastly the only thing that keeps a team in this conference at this moment in time and the reasonable near future is not getting an offer. That is it, you are the wall flower so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    How can you not like Rebel, man If you say the sky is blue, he will fight you tooth and nail swearing its green.

Love the guy!!

Z

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information