Thread: Jon Van Cleave takes a break.

1. Ragin' Cajuns Jon Van Cleave

I have nothing but respect for Jon Van Cleave and his family.

On Wednesday Jan, 15th (yesterday) when I read rumors concerning future decisions Jon Van Cleave was making, I felt compelled to contact his family with the goal of squelching incorrect rumors and getting the facts straight. We all know how rumors can get out of hand.

Part of what I asked was: "I just read a disturbing post that I will not have the privilege of watching Jon this spring. Can you elaborate . If you decline I understand."

Here is the classy reply I received.

". After much prayer we made a family decision it would be best for Jon to take some time away from school. He has been in school for 3 straight years without even having summers at home. We do not know what he is going to do yet but maybe someday you will see him on Sundays. Thanks for asking before all the rumors get started. We will not forget what UL has done for Jon. Coach Bustle will continue to make UL rise toward the top. We wish the best of luck to UL and their fans."

Jack Van Cleave

2. Ragin' Cajuns VAN CLEAVE WILL NOT RETURN FOR 2003 SEASON

January 16, 2003

Louisiana La. - The University of Louisiana announced on Thursday that quarterback Jon Van Cleave has decided not to return to the University for his senior season. The three-year letter winner has not enrolled in classes for the 2003 spring semester and has no plans to resume his academic career with the Cajuns.

Van Cleave's departure leaves the Cajuns with three scholarship quarterbacks, including letter winners Eric Rekieta and Matt Lane, as well as redshirt freshman Jerry Babb.

The Cajuns begin spring football on March 15.

"Jon has given this decision a lot of thought," said head coach Rickey Bustle. "He discussed the issue at great length with his family and ultimately decided he needed take a break from school and football. I wish him the best."

-Ragin' Cajuns-

3. Default Van Cleave to 'take a break from school and football

ESPN

LAFAYETTE, La. -- Quarterback Jon Van Cleave will not be returning to the University of Louisiana at Lafayette for his senior season, school officials said Thursday.

The three-year letter winner did not enroll in classes for the current spring semester and has no plans to resume his academic career with the Ragin Cajuns, according to a new release issued by the the university.

The rest of the story

Best of luck to JVC.

5. Default Van Cleave not returning to Cajuns

Advertiser
    LAFAYETTE - Quarterback Jon Van Cleave will not be returning to the UL Lafayette for his senior season, school officials said Thursday. The three-year letter winner did not enroll in classes for the current spring semester and has no plans to resume his academic career with the Ragin Cajuns, according to a new release issued by the the university.

"Jon has given this decision a lot of thought. He discussed the issue at great length with his family and ultimately decided he needed to take a break from school and football," head coach Rickey Bustle said.

Van Cleave's junior season was actually a question mark for academic reasons. The 6-5, 246-pounder had to pass intercession courses to maintain his eligibility.

The Arlington, Texas native then threw for 2,081 yards on 169-of-316 passing with nine touchdowns and 15 interceptions last season. He averaged 189 yards per game with a long play of 78 yards.

His quarterback rating was 108.70 in the 11 games he participated in.

The rest of the story

6. Default Van Cleave will not return for senior year

ADVOCATE

LAFAYETTE -- University of Louisiana quarterback Jon Van Cleave has decided not to return to the school for his senior season, the university announced Thursday.
    Van Cleave, a three-year letter winner, has not enrolled in classes for the 2003 spring semester and has no plans to resume his academic career with the school.

"It's nothing against any of the coaches or the guys there," Van Cleave said from his home in Arlington, Texas. "I just need to take a break for awhile. Me and my family thought that would be for the best."

Van Cleave said he has no plans to transfer to play for another school or even enroll merely to take classes this semester.

The rest of the story

JVC thanks for being a Cajun.

Thanks Turb for the classy way you handled this situation here on this forum. It speaks well of you.

Default Re: Jon Van Cleave

Originally posted by Turbine
    Thanks for asking before all the rumors get started. We will not forget what UL has done for Jon. Coach Bustle will continue to make UL rise toward the top. We wish the best of luck to UL and their fans."

Jack Van Cleave [/B]
    If Jon becomes half the man his father is he will be a great human being.

Good luck Jon we are thinking of you.

Thread Information