Thread: Anybody want to go to the Sugar Bowl

Default Anybody want to go to the Sugar Bowl

University of Florida having a hard time selling tickets.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport.0,7379852.post

I heard that the total tickets sold by UF and U of L are less than what were sold for us for the New Orleans Bowl. I'm thinking you could by tickets through either University or Ticket Master and get some pretty good seats.

Default Re: Anybody want to go to the Sugar Bowl

It appears the New Orleans Bowl will possibly match the financial impact of the Sugar Bowl this year.

Interesting that the SEC covers the cost of 4K tickets for bowls that have allotments over 15K. I think some of the fans from these higher performing schools simple are tired of the meaningless bowl games. If it isn't for the BCS championship they aren't interested in seeing a consolation prize game.

If this trend continues that may be what drives a true playoff system. Leagues & schools are going to get tired of providing a subsidy to the bowls when they know they could be making a fortune off a true playoff format.

A 32 team playoff isn't unreasonable. That would leave only sixteen teams playing more games than they currently play. Some of the major bowl games would just transition to playoff games and under most circumstances could host nearby teams that would entice ticket sales.

Some of the smaller bowls could remain as consolation for teams below the top 32. We are already doing this in basketball.

How many tickets do you think UL would sell for a BCS Bowl in let’s say…Gainesville, FL?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    How many tickets do you think UL would sell for a BCS Bowl in let’s say…Gainesville, FL?
    A BCS bowl. 10,000 easy.

If we are selling 21,000+ to the N.O. Bowl, I would guess we could sell at least 12,000 to 15,000 to a BCS game. Hopefully one day soon we will be able to see if I am right or wrong!

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    I understand the meaning of your question. There's even more to it. If it were our first BCS game ever. and it was against an SEC school. over 20k. If it were against LSU. they couldn't print enough tickets. I like hypothetical questions to prove a point. but many of these bowl game ticket sales have numerous factors that effect the numbers. UL, for the NO Bowl, has 4 out of 5 of the biggest factors going in our favor. Newness to bowls, travel distance to bowl (for majority of fans), bowl venue, and overall fan cost. The one factor that would launch this into a whole different realm. but would also take away other factors. is the tier level of the bowl on the national stage. Our first BCS bowl appearance would mean that we went 12-0 and were one fantastic Cajun football team.

7. UL Football Re: Anybody want to go to the Sugar Bowl

No question, first BCS bowl in school history? Whatever they gave the university would be sold. Remember they would be at least twice as much in cost, probably three times, but I have every confidence we would support this totally. 30K would not be unreasonable.

I love the enthusiasm!How many tickets do you think we would sell to the Rose Bowl? I will say this.the Cajuns in the Sugar would be a sell out!

9. Default Re: Anybody want to go to the Sugar Bowl

Not many too many people here worry about that state falling into the Pacific.

You have to understand, tickets for the Sugar are going for 135-185. Thats right, $135 for terrace level. Many of the 20,000+ tickets that were sold were sold in groups of over 10, for example, I bought 18 tickets for my friends and I. If the cheapest ticket was $135, I doubt if more than 5 or 10 of my group would go. People complain about the price of $40 for a ticket. There is no way we would sell more than 10,000 at $135-185 a ticket.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonMVerret View Post
    You have to understand, tickets for the Sugar are going for 135-185. Thats right, $135 for terrace level. Many of the 20,000+ tickets that were sold were sold in groups of over 10, for example, I bought 18 tickets for my friends and I. If the cheapest ticket was $135, I doubt if more than 5 or 10 of my group would go. People complain about the price of $40 for a ticket. There is no way we would sell more than 10,000 at $135-185 a ticket.
    That's a good point.

The major bowls are pricing themselves out of the market. A trip to the Sugar Bowl for a family of four would be well over $2500 for 3 days. I would probably pay for the Cajuns first trip to a BCS bowl but if it was the 20th year in a row that we went to a bowl and it was really expensive and against a bad opponent with no chance of a national championship well maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAWFISH61 View Post
    The major bowls are pricing themselves out of the market. A trip to the Sugar Bowl for a family of four would be well over $2500 for 3 days. I would probably pay for the Cajuns first trip to a BCS bowl but if it was the 20th year in a row that we went to a bowl and it was really expensive and against a bad opponent with no chance of a national championship well maybe not.
    Dude, by the time we're in a BCS bowl, I'll have perfected my time travel machine. I'll not only get all of us to the bowl at the speed of light. I'll let you know in advance if we win. If we don't win, I'll go back and show Hud exactly what the other team did to win it and we'll go back and win it afterall. so in reality I won't have to because we won anyway. And. (I'm actually writing this part from the future). we actually win every bowl game going forward. because I've invented the time machine. not now. but later. but I'm here now telling Hud what happens in the NO Bowl. Wait til you get here. It's going to sweet! I mean. it is sweet!

Thread Information