Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst . 32 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 . LastLast

Thread: 2012 New Orleans Bowl

Default Bowl Games

With so many Bowl games i like to have a interest in the game someway. Last nights game with Fla was interesting since we should have beat them and attendance interest. Tonight's game with Kansas State is of interest to me since we will play them next year. Will have my Phil Steel's mag to watch to see who they have leaving and returning. I know their qb is gone but will check out others.

CC

2. Default Re: When do we know how much we made?

In a year of expected budget cuts, the million dollar athletic grab would make sense.

But in a year where UL gave away the horse farm and generated $6+ million and where a student fee passed with athletic help but not athletic benefit, and a donation from Frank's Casing Crew.

I think T-Joe should return the money and give the full allotment that he himself contrived while Administrator of Education.

Default Re: When do we know how much we made?

Hawk -

No doubt lacking student fees has hurt us?

But, we can implement student fees and we have chosen not to.

Tech also blows your argument totally out of the water. Every move they have made to improve their conference situation has been more proactive and visionary than us. They came to DI-A football after us and have a name recognition and perception that is much greater than ours nationally.

One of the reasons their budget is currently bigger is that they chose to go to the WAC and they received greater revenue from that maneuver.

Also, first I contend that a lot of institutions could raise 2.5 million if they were coming off their first bowl game in 40 years. Many could do more. But more importantly, our program could do better than 2.5 million by making better use of the groundswell associated with our bowl game.

The RCAF, I think has like 1800 members. And, people think that is good.

We played certain teams in the 80's. Schools like USM, ECU, UAB, Tech, etc. Those schools have passed us by.

We played certain teams in the 2000's UNT, MTU, FIU, FAU. Those schools are now passing us by.

In the coming years, we will be playing a schedule similar to what Nicholls State or McNeese played in the 90s.

Maybe its time we stop looking at our limitations, state support and student fees and see what we can do to improve.

It's my contention that we can be doing much, much more amongst private donors. There are people in this town that cut cut one check for 2.5 million. Many of them support our program. But, you can't wish upon your lucky start that they are gonna walk into Farmer's office or the Corner Bar and hand it to him.

People want to bash Tech about Davidson or their arrogance. But here are the facts with fewer students in Ruston, LA. They have positioned themselves better than us. And, put us in a situation where we have to beg for their vote to get into a conference with our old conference mates.

That's reality.

Default Re: NOLA Bowl exact # of tix sold thru UL

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajunKev View Post
    Ok thanks guys. I was wondering this because I heard on the Sugarbowl that UF had only sold 7,000 tickets and Louisville sold 14,500. I'm pretty sure the Nola Bowl is gonna have more in attendance than the Sugarbowl
    Correct me if i am wrong. Arent these BCS bowls, schools are only given 15k in tickets? Meaning, the school cant sell more than that?

Default Re: Bowl Games

Kansas State has 30+ seniors on this team! They will be totally different next season.

Default Re: Bowl Games

They will be different but I think Schneider is a huge juco guy, so they won't necessarily be young.

Quote Originally Posted by lxa656 View Post
    Correct me if i am wrong. Arent these BCS bowls, schools are only given 15k in tickets? Meaning, the school cant sell more than that?
    No, because the announcer said UF was allotted 17k tickets and only sold 7k. But that's just what the guy said, I'm not sure myself

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    1) Tech has not been proven to have lied. When they fail to raise their budget as promised, you can call them a liar. 2) Getting a student athletic fee passed is fundraising. Getting the Cajun Field plans out in front of the public is fundraising. Opening a bank account titled RCAF is not fundraising. Hud's success. single handedly. caused this "groundswell". So, when you ask, "what do we expect of these men with such enormous constraints?" Stop counting their meager chips and play the damn game.
    Regardless of whether or not Tech has lied.yet.their claims are grandiose in nature. At last look their budget is only a couple million better than ours. That is not including this past years numbers. Where they will get the monies remains to be seen.

How is a student athletic fee fundraising? Most of the time the fee is done by force. How can fundraising be done without consent or the will to donate funds? I could be wrong but I do not think private donations and athletic fees have the same line item on a budget. Therefore, student fees are not fundraising. I agree that the Cajun Field plans should be out there now. Every moment they are not out is time wasted. I disagree that opening a bank account and calling it the RCAF isn't fundraising.because it is raising funds. Funds that Savoie has seen as an opportunity for him to take back some money for the academic side. If Hud's success single-handedly caused the groundswell, then you have to look at who hired him. That's called causality. You also have to look at the people who raised his pay to keep him here when Tulane came calling.

And of course, every knows the short stack who goes all in, usually gets beat by the bigger stack. The key to staying alive with the short stack is picking the right time to push in. I say that's what they are doing, even though it's taking them a while to make up their mind, the blinds will eat you up eventually.

In reality. Hud is a double edged sword for RCAF. Instead of UL's administration seeing the reality of what you have to do to build a private funding system. they've sat back and collected membership cards while Hud did every single bit of the heavy lifting. He not only pulled the program. by sheer will. out of the dumpster. almost instantly (a feat that the likes of you would have also said "impossible - what do you want these men to do under such constraints?") but he became the single face and voice for the entire rally of the Cajun Nation.
    I 100% agree that they haven't done enough with the RCAF. I can't remember being pressured once to re-up my donation at year end. I have friends who let it lapse and completely forgot all about it. That's inexcusable. But, it's a work in progress, and I have faith that eventually it will all get sorted out down the road. It has to, or else what is it all for?

Hud is a double edged sword, only because once he leaves, who will carry the torch?

The likes of me? What does that entail? I would very much like to know what that is

That has a very dangerous downside. T-Joe and Scott need to be the face and voice of the Cajun Nation. What do you ask these men do? Get out in front of the wave and take advantage of it. The wave will dissipate. I promise you. We aren't in "hail mary pass" mode. Those are done in desperation before time runs out. Time will never "run out". Only a fanbase's interest runs out.
    I agree. They do need to be the voice, and they should be out front, but that alone will not solve every problem we have. As I said before, it's always an excuse. We need a private foundation.done. We need a charismatic coach.done. We need to see results on the field.done. Let's say the Master Plan comes out and it's a beauty. And it still doesn't put us where we want to be. That is a very real and inherent risk in dealing with an athletic program. So, I would give them the benefit of the doubt up to a certain point. No skin off my back if they want to dot all the i's and cross all the t's before they put their foot on the pedal. I would expect that kind of due diligence when it comes to something as important as this. Sometimes it feels like you guys just want it out there so you feel better, so you don't have to worry about it anymore. Give them the time to get it done. I'm not saying give them years, but at least let them do their jobs.

You and Rebel come back at the end of 2013 and tell us how much more this guy Scott grew our budget. I think we're about to hear, "this is all we're getting. these checks we were getting just stopped coming in at the pace we saw last year. we're not sure why. we're talking about talking about getting a study put together to produce a plan that we might reveal about how to determine what caused the checks to slow down." BS
    There you go lumping in everyone that doesn't believe the status quo. I have always said the inability of a human being to counter a contrary point of view shows a lack on intelligence. I'm not putting that assumption on you, but as a whole when people get together and the group think mentality kicks in, no one wants to hear anything other than what the group is thinking. My father always told me I should have been a lawyer, because I love to argue points of view regardless of whether I think they are right or not. I enjoy doing it. I wish this board did a better job of not condemning viewpoints outside the realm of the popular opinions.

Here is a question.how much more do you think Hud can grow this budget? How much more can the groundswell bring in? Eventually the groundswell becomes the norm and the honeymoon period ends. I don't think we can see too much more growth just from Hud getting out and beating the streets. So at this point, the ball is in the administration's court. Now we hear everyone lambasting Savoie and Farmer for doing absolutely nothing. What happens if they come through? In the private chats on CajunT's site I have heard that private meetings have gone good and bad for the future fundraising ability of the program. That leads me to believe that no one has a true pulse on what is going on. That could be good or bad. Either they are holding their cards close to the vest, or they really have nothing at this point. I can see how both of those arguments hold water.

Close to the vest, hell the state was giving us guff for all the campus improvements we have been doing lately with the budget crisis the state is under. Imagine how much it would chap their backside if we rolled out a master plan that included major renovations to Cajun Field, and they are once again considering more cuts. It's not as cut and dry as you all think it is. I hear the words "nuts" or "balls" being thrown around in reference to what they lack in making their decision. That has nothing to do with it. I would rather our administration used their heads instead of trying to show how big their dick is. I expect that kind of rational thinking from a University President and an Athletic Director. I expect the latter from a drunk at the end of the bar who is looking for a fight.

It is called laziness, fear, apathy, lack of commitment, ignorance, coasting, not wanting more responsibility, happy where they are. and more. And the Cajun Nation isn't going to stand for it anymore. T-Joe and Scott had better start talking to us and telling us what massive measures they are undertaking to keep the momentum. We are way, way behind and most of us are no longer going to blame it all on Ray.
    You may be 100% right on this. You may be 100% wrong on this. What is your plan of action either way? What are you going to do to show them that you won't take it anymore? You are correct that we have momentum from two straight bowl victories, but you have to understand, Rome wasn't built in a day. It took a long time for Boise to be taken seriously. And still to this day they still have to deal with their perception problem, even after all they have accomplished. I think you and the majority of this board think we have this golden egg and we need to run around town showing it off to everyone who will look at it. The problem is, look around.what perception battles have we win with two consecutive bowl wins? On ESPN, we couldn't even get our name announced correctly. Are people taking notice? Sure they are, but no one is going to mistake us for a BCS buster yet. So should we try to rush and capitalize on this golden opportunity as most people see it, or should we make a thorough, informed decision about what should be our next step?

Oh. and show me one of our peers that has Lafayette and Acadiana. the oil industry at their disposal for 50 years. and sat on it? Show me one of our peers that wouldn't take exactly what we had. "massive potential". and couldn't raise $2.5 million in a year. Interestly, Mosing of Frank's Casing Crew donated $2.5 million a few months ago. He didn't care if UL used it purely for academics or mixed it with academics and athletics. Do you think a single dime of it went into RCAF? You are wrong about the potential for RCAF and this university with athletics. The majority of our "constraints" are self-made.
    Show me one of our peers that had Ray Authement as their University President. You are comparing apples to oranges. None of our other peers are doing what we are doing except for Tech, and it's because they have the same budgetary constraints as we do. Not many other schools do. Most schools outside of Louisiana have no problem sharing revenue. Look at what the state of Texas is doing for the University of Houston. That's a regional university, that is getting the help it needs to succeed. We.will.never.get.that. Ever. Our constraints are much more than self-made. If you think they are, you have forgotten what state we live in. We live in Louisiana. The state that believes you need a 4 year university in Thibodeaux, but has not problem cutting the education to the bone. You give the state way too much credit. Remember, if the other state schools do not rally against us and the NCAA investigation never takes place, we might never have had Ray Authement as president. The state will take active measures to keep us and any other university in check. We are not the prized pig. The more brash and outlandish we are with our dealings, the more likely the state puts us back in our place. They have done it so many times before.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Regardless of whether or not Tech has lied.yet.their claims are grandiose in nature. At last look their budget is only a couple million better than ours. That is not including this past years numbers. Where they will get the monies remains to be seen.

How is a student athletic fee fundraising? Most of the time the fee is done by force. How can fundraising be done without consent or the will to donate funds? I could be wrong but I do not think private donations and athletic fees have the same line item on a budget. Therefore, student fees are not fundraising. I agree that the Cajun Field plans should be out there now. Every moment they are not out is time wasted. I disagree that opening a bank account and calling it the RCAF isn't fundraising.because it is raising funds. Funds that Savoie has seen as an opportunity for him to take back some money for the academic side. If Hud's success single-handedly caused the groundswell, then you have to look at who hired him. That's called causality. You also have to look at the people who raised his pay to keep him here when Tulane came calling.

And of course, every knows the short stack who goes all in, usually gets beat by the bigger stack. The key to staying alive with the short stack is picking the right time to push in. I say that's what they are doing, even though it's taking them a while to make up their mind, the blinds will eat you up eventually.

I 100% agree that they haven't done enough with the RCAF. I can't remember being pressured once to re-up my donation at year end. I have friends who let it lapse and completely forgot all about it. That's inexcusable. But, it's a work in progress, and I have faith that eventually it will all get sorted out down the road. It has to, or else what is it all for?

Hud is a double edged sword, only because once he leaves, who will carry the torch?

The likes of me? What does that entail? I would very much like to know what that is

I agree. They do need to be the voice, and they should be out front, but that alone will not solve every problem we have. As I said before, it's always an excuse. We need a private foundation.done. We need a charismatic coach.done. We need to see results on the field.done. Let's say the Master Plan comes out and it's a beauty. And it still doesn't put us where we want to be. That is a very real and inherent risk in dealing with an athletic program. So, I would give them the benefit of the doubt up to a certain point. No skin off my back if they want to dot all the i's and cross all the t's before they put their foot on the pedal. I would expect that kind of due diligence when it comes to something as important as this. Sometimes it feels like you guys just want it out there so you feel better, so you don't have to worry about it anymore. Give them the time to get it done. I'm not saying give them years, but at least let them do their jobs.

There you go lumping in everyone that doesn't believe the status quo. I have always said the inability of a human being to counter a contrary point of view shows a lack on intelligence. I'm not putting that assumption on you, but as a whole when people get together and the group think mentality kicks in, no one wants to hear anything other than what the group is thinking. My father always told me I should have been a lawyer, because I love to argue points of view regardless of whether I think they are right or not. I enjoy doing it. I wish this board did a better job of not condemning viewpoints outside the realm of the popular opinions.

Here is a question.how much more do you think Hud can grow this budget? How much more can the groundswell bring in? Eventually the groundswell becomes the norm and the honeymoon period ends. I don't think we can see too much more growth just from Hud getting out and beating the streets. So at this point, the ball is in the administration's court. Now we hear everyone lambasting Savoie and Farmer for doing absolutely nothing. What happens if they come through? In the private chats on CajunT's site I have heard that private meetings have gone good and bad for the future fundraising ability of the program. That leads me to believe that no one has a true pulse on what is going on. That could be good or bad. Either they are holding their cards close to the vest, or they really have nothing at this point. I can see how both of those arguments hold water.

Close to the vest, hell the state was giving us guff for all the campus improvements we have been doing lately with the budget crisis the state is under. Imagine how much it would chap their backside if we rolled out a master plan that included major renovations to Cajun Field, and they are once again considering more cuts. It's not as cut and dry as you all think it is. I hear the words "nuts" or "balls" being thrown around in reference to what they lack in making their decision. That has nothing to do with it. I would rather our administration used their heads instead of trying to show how big their dick is. I expect that kind of rational thinking from a University President and an Athletic Director. I expect the latter from a drunk at the end of the bar who is looking for a fight.

You may be 100% right on this. You may be 100% wrong on this. What is your plan of action either way? What are you going to do to show them that you won't take it anymore? You are correct that we have momentum from two straight bowl victories, but you have to understand, Rome wasn't built in a day. It took a long time for Boise to be taken seriously. And still to this day they still have to deal with their perception problem, even after all they have accomplished. I think you and the majority of this board think we have this golden egg and we need to run around town showing it off to everyone who will look at it. The problem is, look around.what perception battles have we win with two consecutive bowl wins? On ESPN, we couldn't even get our name announced correctly. Are people taking notice? Sure they are, but no one is going to mistake us for a BCS buster yet. So should we try to rush and capitalize on this golden opportunity as most people see it, or should we make a thorough, informed decision about what should be our next step?

Show me one of our peers that had Ray Authement as their University President. You are comparing apples to oranges. None of our other peers are doing what we are doing except for Tech, and it's because they have the same budgetary constraints as we do. Not many other schools do. Most schools outside of Louisiana have no problem sharing revenue. Look at what the state of Texas is doing for the University of Houston. That's a regional university, that is getting the help it needs to succeed. We.will.never.get.that. Ever. Our constraints are much more than self-made. If you think they are, you have forgotten what state we live in. We live in Louisiana. The state that believes you need a 4 year university in Thibodeaux, but has not problem cutting the education to the bone. You give the state way too much credit. Remember, if the other state schools do not rally against us and the NCAA investigation never takes place, we might never have had Ray Authement as president. The state will take active measures to keep us and any other university in check. We are not the prized pig. The more brash and outlandish we are with our dealings, the more likely the state puts us back in our place. They have done it so many times before.
    Holy George R. R. Martin.

Hawk, they should give you two offices.

One on Reinhardt.

One in Martin Hall.

We can't do this because LSU is gonna come get us. These guys have now had over a year to get a plan together. You call due diligence, I call it dropping the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by lxa656 View Post
    The way I always understood it.for these bigger bowls like sugar, rose, etc. They are given their allotments and the rest is given to sponsors and what not. I was wrong once before though.

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    Hawk, they should give you two offices.

One on Reinhardt.

One in Martin Hall.

We can't do this because LSU is gonna come get us. These guys have now had over a year to get a plan together. You call due diligence, I call it dropping the ball.
    It's not that we can't do this because the big bad LSU is gonna come get us, we have to do it wisely or else they will come down on us. They have done it before. How long did it take to get Hud's raise etched in ink? That's the kind of tiptoeing you have to do with this jackleg state we are in. If it takes us many, many months to get a contract approved, how long do you think it will take us to get a bond for stadium construction approved? No matter what kind of Master Plan is unveiled it will never be enough to do it all on our own, we will have to go to the state eventually. And that takes tact, rather than speed.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: When do we know how much we made?

It's not that we can't do this because the big bad LSU is gonna come get us, we have to do it wisely or else they will come down on us. They have done it before. How long did it take to get Hud's raise etched in ink? That's the kind of tiptoeing you have to do with this jackleg state we are in. If it takes us many, many months to get a contract approved, how long do you think it will take us to get a bond for stadium construction approved? No matter what kind of Master Plan is unveiled it will never be enough to do it all on our own, we will have to go to the state eventually. And that takes tact, rather than speed.
    About as long as it took to convince Savoie to sign off on it. That deal did not cost either UL or the state one nickel. WE [RCAF] paid for that.

I don't see Tech tiptoeing. And I haven't seen the state or anyone else slap them down. That tired old eexcuse doesn't cut it anymore.

And for those that want to pat the admin on the back for the $2.5 million or so in RCAF I suspect that with a true master plan and fundraising effort from Day 1 we would be well beyond that figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    I don't see Tech tiptoeing. And I haven't seen the state or anyone else slap them down. That tired old eexcuse doesn't cut it anymore.

And for those that want to pat the admin on the back for the $2.5 million or so in RCAF I suspect that with a true master plan and fundraising effort from Day 1 we would be well beyond that figure.
    exactly, imagine if they actually had a clue as to what they were doing. just because they are "better" than the previous administrators doesnt make them good at their jobs. How hard is it for farmer to look better than david walker, the man didnt even want the job. He basically took it because the university begged him to.

Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst . 32 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 . LastLast

Thread Information