Page 32 of 49 FirstFirst . 22 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 42 . LastLast

Thread: 2012 New Orleans Bowl

Default Re: Nola bowl replay on CST now

We just won!

Did Tech win? Hoax?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    Considering how much the time slot sucked, both the turn out & viewership were incredibly fantastic. This event was another major success for the program. Let us hope the right kind of hay is made with it.
    Back from your cruise so soon? Guess it has been a week

Default Re: When do we know how much we made?

Most conferences share revenue. Leaving aside the fact that UL had a big haul and stands to lose the most, why is this a big deal?

Default Re: Bowl TV rankings.

The air force vs rice game isnt on here and thats probably the best game to compare it to since the game started at 10:45 ish

RedCajun's Avatar RedCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    Considering how much the time slot sucked, both the turn out & viewership were incredibly fantastic. This event was another major success for the program. Let us hope the right kind of hay is made with it.

Yep. I was concerned the early start time may negatively affect attendance and the overall atmosphere, but it didnt seem to be a problem
    at all

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by AirBill View Post
    Most conferences share revenue. Leaving aside the fact that UL had a big haul and stands to lose the most, why is this a big deal?
    Why would we "leave that aside"? Do you think anyone in our conference is going to earn (and pay) what our fans did for the New Orleans Bowl, in the future years we're not in it, and pay us back? We finally blow the doors off and we have to hand over way more money than anyone is ever going to share with us.

7. Default

"Me too" is petty and cruel in the SBC.

If you run the bowl revenue sharing scenario backwards and forwards (in time) UL is the ONLY ONE that will ever lose money in the deal.

Conversely UL is the only school that will never make money in the deal.

Didn't the SBC also recently add a buyout payment for any SBC member wishing to leave the conference? Will this help to stabalize the SBC membership?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    Didn't the SBC also recently add a buyout payment for any SBC member wishing to leave the conference? Will this help to stabalize the SBC membership?
    Only school to mention this was MTSU and the potential vote was why they left, when they left, or so they said.

This was never confirmed.

If true UL should have gone independent the same day.

My optimistic view on this: we've been put in a situation where we're fortunate enough to go to a bowl game and not lose money. That basically means that we're getting tons of free advertising in our key recruiting areas. Sure it would be better to have turned a profit, especially considering our athletic budget, but we really are in a good position due to our fans' involvement. Lets not get too spoiled just yet.

You're missing my point. My question was, if this is the way it's done throughout the land, then why would we expect to be treated any differently? Are there any other FBS conference that don't share bowl revenues? I'm not sure I like it that much either, but short of going independent, there might not be much that can be done about it. Other than leaving the SBC for another conference, which sounds good until you start thinking of a place to go.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    Yes, after the most attractive horses (to other conferences) ran out of the stable, the genius that runs the ranch put padlocks on the stable doors. If you call keeping horses that no one else wants "stabilizing" the stable. I guess they did that. Our horse is finally getting fed something other than prairie grass. runs like a bolt of lightning. wins the first purse ever in our stable worth mentioning. and we have to share the oats with all the other ding'd up horses. The halfwits in charge of our horse are ok with it. They'd just as soon have goats as horses anyway. Our own halfwit probably came up with the idea of padlocking the damn stable doors in the first place. believing the remaining donkeys, mules and the incoming Shetland ponies might get swooned away by the other quarter horse stables.

We are only one of a couple "horses" the padlock is screwing.

13. Default

You're missing my point. My question was, if this is the way it's done throughout the land, then why would we expect to be treated any differently? Are there any other FBS conference that don't share bowl revenues? I'm not sure I like it that much either, but short of going independent, there might not be much that can be done about it. Other than leaving the SBC for another conference, which sounds good until you start thinking of a place to go.
    The other conferences that share have multiple BCS appearances with major payouts. The others have 6 have or more bowl tie ins.

The SBC has 2 and only one school in the history of the SBC has ever made money.

"Me too" doesn't make sense in this case.

Most conferences do revenue share. The SBC hasn't for good reason. It was a reward to the one or two teams that made the bowls. Other conferences have half or more programs in bowls yearly. The sharing makes sense. What amount of the relatively low haul, after expenses, do you think the SBC splits? Virtually zilch. But, a program on the rise, putting their fan support into effect, could pull in a nice check, if they worked hard to get fans to support them. Now that we know this. do you think our fans are as pumped about being the monster ticket buyers now?

My feeling is that Benson, having been burned before, is too focused on "stability". It's too late for SBC stabilization. We're the entry league. We should be rewarding those that are willing to step out and be exceptional. If the system just spreads the limited wealth evenly, Benson gets a low rent operation of extreme predictability. There won't be a "Boise State" to worry about. We're all stuck in the same ghetto for years to come.

The SBC needs a couple of standouts. It needs to have a couple of giant killers. It needs to risk having a team or two putting the conference on the map, but potentially leaving for greener pastures. It is not at the top or even in the middle. "Leveling" and "Locking Down" is a mistake. If you look at the extreme. the SEC. revenue sharing is extremely intelligent. They have dominant programs anyway. They've helped their members that weren't as formidable rise up to haul in conference revenue, build larger TV markets, etc, etc, etc. That does not work at the bottom.

Our management. in my opinion. is complicit in all of these latest SBC acts. and it sucks the root. Our fan base isn't seeking "stability". We are seeking radical advancement. If Scott and T-Joe want "stability" they need to blow the doors off of our athletic ceiling and create more luxurious problems than trying to recreate the Southland Conference. Go bold or just shut down athletics. Lafayette and the UL alumni have had enough already.

Default Re: Shaking My Head

Quote Originally Posted by Bankruptcyman View Post
    We used to say the same things about Troy . . . until we started beating them.
    Except, in that case, we were speaking the TRUTH.

Page 32 of 49 FirstFirst . 22 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 42 . LastLast

Thread Information