Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cuts coming to close the state deficit

1. Default Cuts coming to close the state deficit

BATON ROUGE — Louisiana's budget picture grew bleaker Thursday, when the state's revenue-forecasting panel dropped income estimates by $129 million, creating a midyear deficit that leaves colleges and health services vulnerable to new rounds of cuts.

Advertiser (sub)
    The rest of the story
    desktop

Default Re: Cuts coming to close the state deficit

Department heads and managers got notification about 3 weeks ago in DHH to prepare a list of employees to lay off. I am sure DOE received the same.

Last edited by BeauCajun; December 14th, 2012 at 04:06 pm. Reason: forgot sure

Why doesn't Jindal call a constitutional convention to to remove the protections from all these departments so he pain of the cuts can be evenly distributed?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Why doesn't Jindal call a constitutional convention to to remove the protections from all these departments so he pain of the cuts can be evenly distributed?
    Lame duck. Too interested in promoting his own personal agenda as opposed to representing the poor people of the great state of Louisiana. It's always been about him, dating back to when he was head of DHH.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    Lame duck. Too interested in promoting his own personal agenda as opposed to representing the poor people of the great state of Louisiana. It's always been about him, dating back to when he was head of DHH.
    Yea, he has been a big disappointment. His personal agenda better be limited to appointed positions because I can't see him doing well in an election after this poor performance.

I'm sure they will find a surplus at the end of the year again. Then, they will spend it on the most random things.

Another 22 million to be cut from higher Ed. Grow some balls and shutter a campus already

I'm sorry I voted for Him.

9. Default Re: Cuts coming to close the state deficit

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    I'm sorry I voted for Him.
    ---OK so what would anybody else have done---Hammer said what needs to happen---Change the constitution!!!!! If we get tired of the College cuts then cut the colleges or change the constitution!!!---------------At least we are making more money with the bowl game ticket sales and now we will be able to cut the Athletic departments share of the budget more than last year!!!! I AM KIDDING-that will NEVER happen!!!!

I go back to thinking that we have too many four year colleges in Louisiana for the population base. There needs to be some beginning discussions on long term planning for higher education in Louisiana as we obviously can't continue on the current track.

Louisiana Campus Re: Cuts coming to close the state deficit

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    BATON ROUGE — Louisiana's budget picture grew bleaker Thursday, when the state's revenue-forecasting panel dropped income estimates by $129 million, creating a midyear deficit that leaves colleges and health services vulnerable to new rounds of cuts.

Advertiser (sub)
    The rest of the story
    desktop
    As Yogi would say, it's deja vu all over again!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Been screaming this for years.

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    Another 22 million to be cut from higher Ed. Grow some balls and shutter a campus already
    And what 800 pound gorilla do you think will get every dime saved by doing this??? Convention Now!!!

For the current problem, the "fiscal hawks" in the House who were lambasted in the media by the Jindal Administration were 100% correct this past session. The state over-budgeted. They've been over-budgeting the past 5 years because Jindal and the spineless legislators would like to declare at the end of each session they "saved" Higher Education from drastic cuts, then act all surprised mid-year when they have to make those very same cuts they "saved" everyone from.

Here's the thing. These cuts should have been in the budget passed last session. Sure, it would hurt. But spreading $22 million in cuts over 12 months is a hell of alot better for everyone involved then suddenly saying, "Hey, we need to cut $22 million, and now, you have only 6 months to do it"! Lots of legislators in our Acadiana delegation folded (were bought off) for the Administration during the budget debate 6 months ago. They sure got their local projects funded in Capitol Outlay, though!

Going forward: YES, we need to start merging/shutting down 4 year schools. We have too many in the state for our tax base to effectively support. Again, though, spineless politicians in Baton Rouge.

We need to remove constitutional protection for all programs and cut everywhere, not just higher ed and health care.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information