Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cuts coming to close the state deficit

1. Default Re: Cuts coming to close the state deficit

On the things that supposedly can't be touched . . .

I can't imagine the Constitution intended to protect all future whimsically enacted increases and line items that didn't even exist in 1974.

2. Default Re: Cuts coming to close the state deficit

Can somebody post a quick look at some of the Protected Areas that need to be slashed???

Default Re: Cuts coming to close the state deficit

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Can somebody post a quick look at some of the Protected Areas that need to be slashed???
    Real quick. Everything but higher ed & health care.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    I go back to thinking that we have too many four year colleges in Louisiana for the population base. There needs to be some beginning discussions on long term planning for higher education in Louisiana as we obviously can't continue on the current track.
    Who's up first to go down? Good luck with that. What a ____ poor state we live in.

6. Default Re: Cuts coming to close the state deficit

Quote Originally Posted by Wing-over View Post
    Who's up first to go down? Good luck with that. What a ____ poor state we live in.
    -----SUNO----oh we tried to close that pillar of exceptional education!!!! Really if you can't get that done with a perfectly fine place across the street, what can be done???

Quote Originally Posted by Wing-over View Post
    SUNO has a 6 or 8 percent six-year graduation rate. Absolute worst in the state. We can start there. Then we can look at geography. LSU-S, LA Tech, ULM, Grambling and Northwestern all within about an hour and half from each other. Grambling stays because of heritage/tradition, Tech stays because of size and success, and Northwestern stays because of how long they've been around. That leaves LSU-S and ULM. I would lean towards LSU-S being merged into Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    On the things that supposedly can't be touched . . .

I can't imagine the Constitution intended to protect all future whimsically enacted increases and line items that didn't even exist in 1974.
    Thing that scares me about a Constitutional Convention.

Do we get real budget reforms, or does it become a politician/lobbyist field day? I could easily see the self-servants making term-limits go away. Term-limits isn't a cure-all, but it will hopefully help in keeping the career legislators from being in there 20+ years.

Does the Constitution then get changed to allow for income tax increases just by simple majority vote rather than the current 2/3's requirement?

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Cuts coming to close the state deficit

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    I'm sorry I voted for Him.
    don't beat yourself up too much. he had you bamboozled like he did everyone who re-elected him. plus, consider the alternative we had. he's doing the same thing now to the sorry excuse for a national media, and i mean ALL media. i think, though, that once his record is closely scrutinized, he's a gone pecan from the national scene.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Thing that scares me about a Constitutional Convention.

Do we get real budget reforms, or does it become a politician/lobbyist field day? I could easily see the self-servants making term-limits go away. Term-limits isn't a cure-all, but it will hopefully help in keeping the career legislators from being in there 20+ years.

Does the Constitution then get changed to allow for income tax increases just by simple majority vote rather than the current 2/3's requirement?
    I don't see why they would need to go there.

They need to study how something that didn't exest -when the inclusions and exclusions were penned- is now somehow protected.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

SUNO has a 6 or 8 percent six-year graduation rate. Absolute worst in the state. We can start there. Then we can look at geography. LSU-S, LA Tech, ULM, Grambling and Northwestern all within about an hour and half from each other. Grambling stays because of heritage/tradition, Tech stays because of size and success, and Northwestern stays because of how long they've been around. That leaves LSU-S and ULM. I would lean towards LSU-S being merged into Tech.

SUNO?? Careful.you dont want to be labeled racist.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I don't see why they would need to go there.

They need to study how something that didn't exest -when the inclusions and exclusions were penned- is now somehow protected.
    But the thing is once a Constitutional Convention is called, EVERYTHING is on the table to be rehashed. You don't think the Alario-type politicians would have their hands all over trying to repeal term limits? Others will be looking at the 2/3 requirement to raise income taxes, ESPECIALLY groups like Louisiana Budget Project and those at the top of the Higher Ed community.

I'm not saying I'm against a Constitutional Convention. Not sure where I stand regarding one. There are budget reforms that desperately need to be made. I would prefer if we could make them via the Legislature rather than a convention. If a convention is the only way.then it's the only way. It just concerns me all the other issues the politicians and lobbying groups would no doubt want to bring out.

But the thing is once a Constitutional Convention is called, EVERYTHING is on the table to be rehashed. You don't think the Alario-type politicians would have their hands all over trying to repeal term limits? Others will be looking at the 2/3 requirement to raise income taxes, ESPECIALLY groups like Louisiana Budget Project and those at the top of the Higher Ed community.

I'm not saying I'm against a Constitutional Convention. Not sure where I stand regarding one. There are budget reforms that desperately need to be made. I would prefer if we could make them via the Legislature rather than a convention. If a convention is the only way.then it's the only way. It just concerns me all the other issues the politicians and lobbying groups would no doubt want to bring out.
    Your concerns are laid. The problem with the legislature is that is they are the same guys that got us into this mess over the years.

14. Default

They could cut something frivolous that came into being in the post "new" Constitution era and let a court decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    The problem with the legislature is that is they are the same guys that got us into this mess over the years.
    And we continue to re-elect them. A bright bunch we are.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information