Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Spring Football

UL Football Spring Football

When does Spring Football begin? Any one have an idea of the position battles that will be taking place? Also, is there any new recruits who have enrolled early and will be participating in spring drills? Thanks in advance guys, looking forward to a big 2007 season!

Default Re: Spring Football

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCajunfan
    When does Spring Football begin? Any one have an idea of the position battles that will be taking place? Also, is there any new recruits who have enrolled early and will be participating in spring drills? Thanks in advance guys, looking forward to a big 2007 season!
    Spring football begins on March 7 with the Spring Game on March 31. I believe a DE who originally signed with UAB but never enrolled is here now. I can't recall his name. QB will have quite a bit of attention in spring drills. Desormeaux is the guy who will be No. 1 going into spring. Unfortunately the two high school signees won' be here until after school ends.

I'll be curious to see how our offense develops with a new OC. While I do believe Fenroy will once again play a major role running the football, we must further develop our passing game. We have to get creative on offense. Redundant play calling will not get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77
    I'll be curious to see how our offense develops with a new OC. While I do believe Fenroy will once again play a major role running the football, we must further develop our passing game. We have to get creative on offense. Redundant play calling will not get it done.
    I was encouraged last night at the baseball game when one of the Cajun players told me that Mike D had opted to not play baseball this season to concentrate on a new coordinators playbook.

That is a huge relief to me at least.

Coming out of Spring practice 2006 we knew we needed to upgrade the passing game and, although we had some great moments like against U-Hou, I don't think we really did. Had we done so, Fenroy would have run for 2K yards.

Getting a new offensive coordinater should help. Fellow SBC programs will not have past experience to help prepare for us. Yes, I know he was at MT but his "O" will be new here.

I look for us to utilize the "short passing" game and some new wrinkles in the running game. If we get second half leads then look for the prototypical downhill, in your face, smash mouth running game featuring Tyrell "The Big Train" Fenroy.

Guys, I get goosebumps thinking about 2007 Cajun football. It's gonna be sweet and not because of the Fall sugar cane harvest either.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun
    Coming out of Spring practice 2006 we knew we needed to upgrade the passing game and, although we had some great moments like against U-Hou, I don't think we really did. Had we done so, Fenroy would have run for 2K yards.

Getting a new offensive coordinater should help. Fellow SBC programs will not have past experience to help prepare for us. Yes, I know he was at MT but his "O" will be new here.

I look for us to utilize the "short passing" game and some new wrinkles in the running game. If we get second half leads then look for the prototypical downhill, in your face, smash mouth running game featuring Tyrell "The Big Train" Fenroy.

Guys, I get goosebumps thinking about 2007 Cajun football. It's gonna be sweet and not because of the Fall sugar cane harvest either.

Just curious what you mean by the "short" passing game? 5-15 yds.?? I personally think we have to take shots downfield and be successful in doing so. Completeting passes that are in the 20+ yd. range will loosen up defenses and keep them honest, giving Fenroy a better chance to break big runs. While we did have some success in passing, a better passing game will help our running game. I feel our receivers should play better this year as they will have more experience. I feel if we get creative with our play calling, 2007 could be a special season for Cajun football.

7. Default Re: Spring Football

Just Curious---Will we be better at qb, running back, offensive line, wide outs, TE(we did complete one at Houston)---also the defense and kicking game(Can't get worse as for as coverage goes)--Place kicking was a pleasent surprise!!!!

I want McNeese bad.

Can't wait, but I love me some baseball.

Just curious what you mean by the "short" passing game? 5-15 yds.?? I personally think we have to take shots downfield and be successful in doing so. Completeting passes that are in the 20+ yd. range will loosen up defenses and keep them honest, giving Fenroy a better chance to break big runs. While we did have some success in passing, a better passing game will help our running game. I feel our receivers should play better this year as they will have more experience. I feel if we get creative with our play calling, 2007 could be a special season for Cajun football.
    JMO. The majority up to 12-15 yards off MikeD scrambling around (he is no pocket passer) and dumping off to RBs, TEs and any of out WRs who work to get open and hold onto the ball when it hits them in the hands. I don't see MikeD throwing the ball downfield with a lot of success unless he develops it between now and September.

Just a hunch but maybe a kid like RSF Ritchie Falgoust can come in and add some spice to our receiving corps.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun
    JMO. The majority up to 12-15 yards off MikeD scrambling around (he is no pocket passer) and dumping off to RBs, TEs and any of out WRs who work to get open and hold onto the ball when it hits them in the hands. I don't see MikeD throwing the ball downfield with a lot of success unless he develops it between now and September.

Just a hunch but maybe a kid like RSF Ritchie Falgoust can come in and add some spice to our receiving corps.
    I totally agree. If we can just get some underneath routes that result in a catch. and then maybe a few YACs, that is all this offense needs to really get rolling, coupled with what I suspect is going to be an awesome running game next year.

I like to see a deep ball ever so often to keep an offense honest (DBs hate to get burned on a deep ball), but we need to succeed on the short tosses and screens before we plan an all out aerial assault. I have a lot of faith in this OL, but pass blocking is going to be key to allow whichever QB wins out as a starter, to develop a rythmn and confidence.

We are, and have to be for the time being, on the short end of the money game situation, but those games being our starting games really hurt us getting into the right rythmn. But, it is what it is.

I will be suprised to see an explosive offense this year. So much turn over everywhere. This will be a reload year with serious hopes the following year with all of the young talent learning the ropes. If we can keep to two loses in the belt I will be pleased.more than pleased; it may put us in contention for the title. Next year seems to be the best year the belt might ever have, every team seems to be returning talent. It will be a rough one IMHO. Bustle has a long term view for this program and i just have the feeling he will be a little more fenroy than airmail this year giving what he has. I guess the two florida teams will head to the Swamp and the we have Middle and ARK ST away. Who knows about NT with Dodge ball coming he recruited like 4 receivers over 6'. I think we have a great group of guys who will play hard, but i have no idea who will actually come out on top. I look forward to Clutch's Spring assesment. I have a feeling we will see a lot of new faces out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Flcajun
    I will be suprised to see an explosive offense this year. So much turn over everywhere. This will be a reload year with serious hopes the following year with all of the young talent learning the ropes. If we can keep to two loses in the belt I will be pleased.more than pleased; it may put us in contention for the title. Next year seems to be the best year the belt might ever have, every team seems to be returning talent. It will be a rough one IMHO. Bustle has a long term view for this program and i just have the feeling he will be a little more fenroy than airmail this year giving what he has. I guess the two florida teams will head to the Swamp and the we have Middle and ARK ST away. Who knows about NT with Dodge ball coming he recruited like 4 receivers over 6'. I think we have a great group of guys who will play hard, but i have no idea who will actually come out on top. I look forward to Clutch's Spring assesment. I have a feeling we will see a lot of new faces out there.
    Thank You sir I look forward to giving it.I'm going to give it after the Spring game so I can try to give the best evaluation I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364
    Thank You sir I look forward to giving it.I'm going to give it after the Spring game so I can try to give the best evaluation I can.
    We all need to be out for the Spring Game to show the players and coaches we are behind them. It's about a month away.

I saw coach Bustle at the baseball game Sunday. All I have to say is that is one happy dude. I've never seen him away from the football field when he is not smiling. I can't wait to see some football.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike
    Spring football begins on March 7 with the Spring Game on March 31. I believe a DE who originally signed with UAB but never enrolled is here now. I can't recall his name. QB will have quite a bit of attention in spring drills. Desormeaux is the guy who will be No. 1 going into spring. Unfortunately the two high school signees won' be here until after school ends.
    The high school signees are still in school until May and do not start with the team until August reporting time. They do not participate in Spring ball even though I know they would probably give anything to be there. They must provide final grades and proof of high school graduation to the NCAA to play on any collegiate team and then receive their eligibility for the Fall.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information