Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Skip Holtz to LaTech

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Skip Holtz to LaTech

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    Yes. And there are more than just him.

Levander Liggins and Lloyd Grogan also come to mind.
    Man, these kids must feel like crap after their school abandon them at bowl time??

Oh well

Z

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyDowdy View Post
    Holtz was the ECU head coach when we won back to back titles. He is also accused of ECU losing the bowl games against SEC teams when leading big at halftime. He is a very good public speaker and will do we'll with the media and prospects parents. However, unless he gives the offense to a coordinator who will try and score often, this will be a bad hire. Holtz's D coordinator at ECU was the main reason we won championships. He has stated in the past that he would love to win a game 3 to 0.
    That's a huge departure from where Tech has been the past few years. They have been a "outscore them" type of football team with little or no defense being played.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDawg View Post
    A "HUD recruiting landslide".oh brother. How many recruits has your beloved HUD taken from Tech in his tenure?
    Hud's only had one full recruiting season at UL. Hud's first season with us had an abbreviated recruiting opportunity for him, and he depended on his ties made in northern Mississippi. Hud also focused a good bit on the JUCO ranks in his second season due to some pressing needs on defense. Now that he's posted two back to back 8-4 seasons here, and two back to back bowl appearances, I'd put Hud ahead of Tech on the recruiting trail. You only need to meet the guy and know he will get the majority of the recruits he pursues. I don't blame you for holding your ground for your alma mater. and the historical head to head recruiting. But again, Hud and his staff are a different day and age for UL.

Quote Originally Posted by techdawg88 View Post
    I think most are just surprised he got hired since he just got fired from going 3-9 @ South Florida
    Well, it doesn't surprise me too much as he's taking a step down. I think Holtz is a good coach and could do some really good things at Tech.

But did he prop 28?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Well, it doesn't surprise me too much as he's taking a step down. I think Holtz is a good coach and could do some really good things at Tech.
    Holtz has had some success in the past, but not many programs were lining up for his services. He has a recognizable name and that is what Tech is getting out of this deal. Otherwise, when compared to Petrino, Monken or Harsin this hire is less then impressive. The fact is Tech has hurt its brand more then they realized in the eyes of money around college football by not accepting the Indy Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    After trolling Bulldog Barks and Bites, I can't say all are happy with this hire. Holtz in Ruston is almost like a "where's Waldo" situation. Holtz is just in a holding pattern until daddy can get him a coordinator job with a larger program.
    You found me?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Holtz has had some success in the past, but not many programs were lining up for his services. He has a recognizable name and that is what Tech is getting out of this deal. Otherwise, when compared to Petrino, Monken or Harsin this hire is less then impressive. The fact is Tech has hurt its brand more then they realized in the eyes of money around college football by not accepting the Indy Bowl.
    That was my point. I actually think Holtz is a good hire for Tech since he's taking a decent step down after finishing poorly at USF but he definitely was one of the hot coaching names 3-4 years back. I think its pretty funny that they'd be ____ed about the hire. I guess they could always go back and get Dooley as well.

for any and all Tech lovers and haters. Ruston Daily Leader's long time sports editor OK Davis, scheduled to be on the sportsnote around 11:15-ish

I think it'll be a good hire. He actually has legitimate HC experience.something that our last 4 HC's did not have.

I think it'll be a good hire. He actually has legitimate HC experience.something that our last 4 HC's did not have.
    Legitimate HC experience for sure. But he failed at the highest level he coached with way more resources then Louisiana Tech can provide him. That is a major red flag in my book. Best of luck to Tech.

Dude, most coaches fail at some point in their career.you do know that don't you? What a great opportunity to redeem his career.

13. UL Football Re: Skip Holtz to LaTech

The Holtz coaching tree has been ill for some time. If you think he is the man, great.

Just glad Hud is still here.

Dude, most coaches fail at some point in their career.you do know that don't you? What a great opportunity to redeem his career.
    Yes dude, I get that. Again, spin it however you want but his stock was going down and you hired a coach that had a losing record at his last job with major resources. Now dude, even you understand that most coaches are hired because because they are from winning programs or have won at their last position. Do you actually want to debate that fact?

So what have I stated that is wrong? Tech hired a Holtz and is getting name recognition with the hire; he had some success at ECU and failed miserably at USF including producing the worst season record in that program's short history. I understand about staying positive, so best of luck.

Dude!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information