Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A 12 game schedule as an Independent

1. UL Football A 12 game schedule as an Independent

Independent 12 game schedule

Make $Make $Cash NeutralCash NeutralPay moneyPay money
    Pure $ Road2-for-1 $ RoadH&H RoadH&H Home2-for-1 $ HomePure $ Home

The order is of course mixed but the outcome is below.

4 road games a year where you get payed
    4 home games a year where you pay.
    2 road games where no money chages hands
    2 home games where no money changes hands.

On the chart what you have is a flipped schedule 6 games against equal or greater teams and 6 games against equal or lesser teams.

Just like you do a 2-for-1 against BCS teams, you do a 1-for-2 against lesser teams who think they have a chance of beating you.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The order is of course mixed but the outcome is below.

4 road games a year where you get payed
    4 home games a year where you pay.
    2 road games where no money chages hands
    2 home games where no money changes hands.

On the chart what you have is a flipped schedule 6 games against equal or greater teams and 6 games against equal or lesser teams.

Just like you do a 2-for-1 against BCS teams, you do a 1-for-2 against lesser teams who think they have a chance of beating you.

I'm almost sold. Almost. If we could go 8-4 every year with these schedules, we'd be well-known nationally. That's for sure. And we'd be in a conference within 5 years.

Default Re: A 12 game schedule as an Independent

Yea and I remember those great independent schedules where we might go three weeks at a stretch without a home game. The schedules would be so unbalanced that a lot of times you were 0-3 before you got your first home game, crowds would be terrible.

4. Default Re: A 12 game schedule as an Independent

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Yea and I remember those great independent schedules where we might go three weeks at a stretch without a home game. The schedules would be so unbalanced that a lot of times you were 0-3 before you got your first home game, crowds would be terrible.
    I did the chart for ease of understanding but the truth is the Cash Neutral games would often lead the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    I'm not saying independent is the answer, but it's not like we have awesome schedules now.

No way the administration does it anyway, but I'm starting to think the nuclear option may be the best.

6. Default Re: A 12 game schedule as an Independent

In a conference you have 8 H&H home games every year.

Zero money.

If you do an Indi schedule right, you get just as many home games but the schedule become a cash cow.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    I'm not saying independent is the answer, but it's not like we have awesome schedules now.

No way the administration does it anyway, but I'm starting to think the nuclear option may be the best.
    Our schedules are bad now. They will get worse in the new belt!

Cusa or nuke it and go Indy is my current semi-ignorant opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    In a conference you have 8 H&H home games every year.

Zero money.

If you do an Indi schedule right, you get just as many home games but the schedule become a cash cow.

I like this idea. Seriously.

9. Default Re: A 12 game schedule as an Independent

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    I like this idea. Seriously.
    Ark. St. Would probably do the same thing..

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

But we're forgetting one thing: going independent would require a ton of work getting a schedule done. Like long hours... Difficult deals... Deadlines...

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    But we're forgetting one thing: going independent would require a ton of work getting a schedule done. Like long hours... Difficult deals... Deadlines...

Would the admin. have to divert resources away from planning the plans for the Master Plan?

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    Would the admin. have to divert resources away from planning the plans for the Master Plan?
    They hired an outside firm to do it, so I would hope not.

Independents have teams (rivalries) that they regularly schedule each year and/or with long-term commitments, so they are scheduling just a few additional each year (i.e., Notre Dame).

So who and how many teams would like to schedule UL for the long-term?

A thought provoking idea, but probably likely very difficult to implement and impractical.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by USL1970 View Post
    Independents have teams (rivalries) that they regularly schedule each year and/or with long-term commitments, so they are scheduling just a few additional each year (i.e., Notre Dame).

So who and how many teams would like to schedule UL for the long-term?

A thought provoking idea, but probably likely very difficult to implement and impractical.
    These schools are on a high but their rankings ebb and flow so I would start the 2-for-1 portion with schools UL has a current/recent relationship with.

OSU, Kansas State, Kent State.

If we don't get the CUSA invite this winter, we should begin talks immediately with a few other schools to start planning the move to the SIFA or start planning the move ourselves if nobody wants to do it with us.

The fact that has to be learned in Martin Hall and on this board is that there is no moving up out of the SLC-II for this university.

Like I've said before, we've been branded.

Time to change the brand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information