Thread: Athlete (1961-63) Mouton, Eddie

1. Ragin' Cajuns Mouton, Eddie 1961-63

Edward "Eddie" Mouton was a 2 sport athlete for Louisiana.

He played basketball for UL in the 1961, 1962 seasons.

He played baseball for UL in the 1961, 1962, 1963 seasons.

Edward "Eddie" Mouton came back to join the coaching ranks as the baseball skipper in 1967

2. Default

3. Default Eddie Mouton on Eddie Mouton

"After having spent 12 years at Cathedral High School with the Christian Brothers as teachers, no girls and the same classmates every year, it was a breath of fresh air when I graduated in 1960 and enrolled at USL where I was on the basketball team for two years and the baseball team for three.

Meeting new people from all over the country, different dialects (yes Finley, you talk funny) and cultures, was really interesting and exciting. I had watched USL basketball since Coach Shipley arrived in 1957 and really got a kick out of his style and his players. Having been a statistician and spotter for Cathedral and Bob Henderson at USL for football, I had a dual role on the basketball team of practice player and statistician.

Being on the same floor with such great players as Bill McHorris, Tim Thompson, Larry Simon, Dean Church, and Howard Humphreys, to name a few, was really big for me. I had watched these players while in high school and was sort of awe struck to be playing with them.

One true story about Dean Church-In the summer of 1961 Coach Shipley called me at home and asked me to go to the Men’s Gym to play one on one with a prospect he was looking at. I walked into the gym and was introduced to the most unlikely looking athlete and I figured I’d show him a thing or two about basketball. Well, after about 15 minutes he was beating me about 25 to 4 and for the life of me I hadn’t seen such moves anywhere in my life-if you’ve seen Dean play you know what I’m talking about. I always remind Dean when I see him that I helped him get his scholarship.

Played pro baseball in the Washington Senators organization - got to AAA Pacific Coast league before having my career cut short by the U.S. Army. Coached the USL baseball team in 1967 on an interim basis. I am satisfied that coaching was not my long suit.

Like Finley said in his bio, playing sports is mainly about the people you meet, the friends you make and the memories. I’ve been fortunate living here in Lafayette to see Coach Shipley on a regular basis at the golf course and also to follow this great University of Louisiana, the biggest industry in Lafayette. I guess I get to see more people from the Shipley Era than most who live out of town. Playing for Coach Shipley and being associated with all the great people from the Shipley Era is a great honor and pleasure for me.

Oh! By the way, remember the two AMAZONS on campus in 1962, Chi Chi Lignon and Kay Bickham? Well, I married Kay Bickham’s little sister (5’11”) Beth and we have four sons (all tall and good roundballers) and one grandson born on the fourth of July 2001! I’m running the family Real Estate business-my father was the only person I could get to hire me when I was looking for a job."

Visit Louisiana's "Athletic Network" to find the source of the story.

Thread Information