Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NOLA Bowl Opponent

Default Re: NOLA Bowl Opponent

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    Anybody think our attendance for the NOLA will be significantly lower this year being that our home attendance has been disappointing this season? Last night's 20,333 (which actually looked accurate) was again a lot lighter than I hoped for but I guess this what we have to expect.
    Attendance this year was hurt by bad weather for the first game and nationally televised beat downs. I expect cajun fans to show up in force in NOLA, especially if we win next week. If we play Rice or SMU, we should again break the bowl attendance record.

I'm already getting pumpedbeing it will be Christmas weekend.it can't possibly live up to last years right?Right? Haha

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Except for the top 3 every CUSA team is extremely beatable. Geez that's a bad conference.
    I hope you aren't implying that we can't compete with cusa top three?

I already know several people who have not attended a home game but are going so I think we will do fine.

5. Default Re: NOLA Bowl Opponent

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    UTEP finished 3-9.

I think it will be Rice in New Orleans and SMU in Hawaii. But SMU in New Orleans is a possibility. However, it is also a possibility that all five eligible CUSA teams are placed elseware (Ex. Rice in Armed Forces Bowl and SMU going to Hawaii) . being that CUSA may provide a team to the Military Bowl. We probably will not know until after next weekend's games.

Brian
    From the CUSA media guide .

"Conference USA has guaranteed spots in six games
    during the 2012 season and serves as a primary backup
    for a possible seventh game. The AutoZone Liberty
    Bowl has the top selection of C-USA teams
    and the
    league will also send teams to the Beef O'Brady's Bowl
    St. Petersburg, Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl,
    R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl, Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl
    and TicketCity Bowl this season. The conference also
    has an agreement with the Military Bowl to participate
    in that game should the ACC or Army be unable to
    provide a team for that bowl
    ."

So . seven bowls . five CUSA teams. The talk at SMU is that the Mustangs will be in Hawaii. It seems that Rice will be in either New Orleans or Forth Worth.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    SMU has a good QB. They have really been an up and down team this season.

The good .
    - Playing TCU tight in an eight point loss. The Gilbert brothers squared off in this one . Griffin Gilbert a freshman WR for TCU and Garrett Gilbert the Jr. QB for SMU. Garrett Gilbert played QB for Texas against Alabama in the 2009 BCS National Championship game as a freshman and played very well. Their father is Gale Gilbert (the only player in the NFL to play for five consecutive Super Bowl teams).
    - Whipping Houston 72-42
    - Beating a good Tulsa team 35-27 this weekend

The bad .
    - Losing to Tulane 27-26
    - Losing to Rice 36-14 last weekend

Brian

Garrett Gilbert did not play well against Alabama. He went 15/40 with 2 touchdowns and 4 interceptions. He's also been very average this year. 53% completion and 14 tds/13 ints. He's average at best

Any chance we get a bad SEC team? I would really like to scratch that off of Hud's to do list!

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    Any chance we get a bad SEC team? I would really like to scratch that off of Hud's to do list!
    Nope. SEC has bowl ties to fill that they won't meet.

9. Default Re: NOLA Bowl Opponent

Quote Originally Posted by raginsaints View Post
    Garrett Gilbert did not play well against Alabama. He went 15/40 with 2 touchdowns and 4 interceptions. He's also been very average this year. 53% completion and 14 tds/13 ints. He's average at best
    I had forgotten about the 1st half struggles (throwing two INTs) when he was thrust into the game after McCoy was injured early. But one of his INTs was throwing the ball deep at the end of the ball game. The freshman did lead Texas back in the second half (within a FG at 24-21 with 6 minutes remaining) with TD passes of 44 and 28 yards . against arguably the best defense in the country. The 44 yarder was a beautiful throw. Sports Illustrated had many good things to say about the performance under difficult odds . Texas lost title game, but found quarterback in Garrett Gilbert.

Gilbert has an NFL arm and NFL size. I mentioned him because he is the type of QB that could hurt the Cajun secondary. It would be an interesting game. To understand how Gilbert could be effective here, you cannot simply look at a stat sheet. But he could easily finish the season with 3000+ passing yards.

Brian

I think the obvious best choice at this point would be ECU. Not sure if they are even a possibility, but the New Orleans Bowl would get another great fanbase with ECU. I could see atleast 50,000 if we play the Pirates.

If cusa bails (likely)MAC

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    If cusa bails (likely)MAC
    What about a certain 9-3 3rd place WAC team?

13. Default Re: NOLA Bowl Opponent

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    What about a certain 9-3 3rd place WAC team?
    Louisiana Tech and the Independence Bowl may be aiming for a Tech - Baylor matchup.

Brian

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

I think it'll be UL vs Rice in New Orleans.

That's my feeling too. Not an appealing opponent, but it would give us a chance to go 2 and 0 in the NO bowl. Ideally we would get someone that would challenge us and have a better record.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information