Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: High School Football Recruiting

UL Football

You are correct Eric.Felders played both ways in highschool.He was All-State at QB and All-District at DB.

2. UL Football DBs

Originally posted by USLfan88
    I uderstand that our defense is built around speed. The one thing you need to keep in mind is that Jamal Smith may be 5'9 but he is bigger than Fenton and Feilders, and he made plays all season long. For one of these guys to take his position would be a miracle. Fenton and Felders are both 4.6 - 4.7 guys just like Jamal Smith. These guys are too young and not developed enough to be starters and I think that the coaches will feel the same way. As far as safety goes Lamy is 5' 10 and Prater is 5'11- 6'0 and both of those guys run 4.4's. Height isnt the question look at alot of the safetys in the leauge like Dawkins for example 5'10 200lbs.
    I don't know if you're going by roster heights and weights, or if you've seen these guys in person a lot, but the big ragoo has eyeballed these guys almost every day. Fenton is probably the tallest DB and close to 200 pounds. He is not the strongest and will not play rover, but he could end up at Free safety (what he was recruited for) or Whip (which is essentially interchangeable as Free Safety in our defense. Felders is taller (5-10) than Jamal Smith (5-8), not as strong, but about the same weight (185). Felders will play rover, and it won't be a miracle for him to get playing time there. Smith made some plays this year, but in this defense your rovers and whips have to make plays. The problem is that Smith and Sanders made a huge amount of mental busts all year which really hurt us. That is why other guys will tried at rover and whip. If a you have to make a choice between playing an older guy who's going to make a lot of mistakes and a younger guy who's going to make a lot of mistakes, you play the younger guy so he can help you in the long run. Fenton started against Idaho because we basically played a Nickel scheme that whole game. Fenton and Felders both got a lot of snaps as freshmen and will be counted on to play next year. Last year, we needed them at corner. Now that we've got some JUCOs coming, we'll move them to the positions we recruited them for out of high school.

Lamy would be a stretch to be 5-10. He and Prater both are around 200, but both would top out at 5-10, unless they've both hit a growth spurt lately. They both are physical guys, but both are prone to make some costly mental mistakes at times. Simon is about 6-0 and gaining weight, but is pretty slow. He's a smart player and will develop into a whip. Prater has played just about everywhere in the secondary. Lamy will play free safety or whip. Prater could play rover, safety or whip, wherever needed.

The bottom line is that the rover, whip and free safety have to make plays (tackles) in this defense. They've got "fit, force and fold" responsibilities in this scheme and one of them is unblocked on every play. Too many mental mistakes were made at these positions at critical times during the season. That is why players will be shuffled in the secondary to fix these problems. The coaches have already moved guys around. The JUCO corners will be asked to come in and lock down the outside receivers. If that works out, Fenton will play some safety, because you can't ask Prater and Lamy to take every snap at Free safety. A JUCO rover will be brought in as well.

Lamy would be a stretch to be 5-10. He and Prater both are around 200, but both would top out at 5-10, unless they've both hit a growth spurt lately. They both are physical guys, but both are prone to make some costly mental mistakes at times

This was Lamy's first year to ever play safety so you can understand why he made mistakes but if you look back so did Charles, I think Lamy will have a better understanding of the D now and be able to contribute a little more. Even if Lamy is 5'10 he still goes out their and works hard and you cant ask for more. Prater has never played in this D but is a smart kid so I think he will be okay as far as mental mistakes go. He has enough physical ability to make up for mistakes if they come like Ivan and Charles did. Prater was brought here by Coach Bartel and I believe in Bartel because he brings in kids that can play. Prater from what I have seen can play any position in the secondary because of his speed and can play a outside backer spot cause of his strenght and physicalness. He is a DB who is at least 205 and has very good wheels and is very strong. He is going to be a fun one to watch. Fenton and Felders ae also going to be very good as well but I think that they still need alot of time to develop. It will really help the secondary when Jerrel Carter gets back because he is an older guy who can play and make things happen. Does anyone know about how his injury progress is. I would also like to say that I am glad to here that the #59 machine is back and UL will have the anchor of the D to feed off of.

GEAUX CAJUNS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information