Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New OC at UL, Blake Anderson

UL Football New OC at UL, Blake Anderson

According to Hugh Keaton's teaser for the upcoming sports segment on KATC for the 6:00 edition. Sorry if it's been posted and I'm out of the loop, but it's news to me.

Edit: Blake Anderson, who has been out of coaching for two years but prior was the Co-Offensive Coordinator at Middle Tennessee.

2. UL Football BUSTLE TABS BLAKE ANDERSON FOR OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR POST

LOUISIANA La. – University of Louisiana head football coach Rickey Bustle filled his first of two vacancies on his offensive staff on Wednesday as he announced the hiring of Blake Anderson as the Ragin’ Cajuns’ new offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach.

Anderson joins Bustle’s staff after a brief hiatus from coaching the past two seasons. In his last post, Anderson was co-offensive coordinator/wide receivers coach at Middle Tennessee from the 2002 through 2004 seasons. He replaces Rob Christophel, who was the Cajuns offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach from January 1, 2002, until his release on December 11, 2006.

Anderson’s hiring is pending approval by the University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors.

While at Middle Tennessee, he helped direct an offensive unit that led the Sun Belt Conference in scoring offense during the 2003 season and ranked 15th in the NCAA in passing offense during the 2004 campaign.

His 2003 Blue Raiders averaged 27.7 points per game generating 42 total touchdowns.

In 2004, his Blue Raiders passing attack averaged 267.7 yards per game. Quarterback Clint Marks led the SBC in passing yards per game (249.9) while wide receivers Kerry Wright and Chris Henry ranked second and third in the league in receptions per game.

Each year under his guidance the Blue Raiders passing offense increased. MT went from 154.0 yards per game in 2002 to 226.7 in 2003 then 267.7 in 2004.

His most recognizable pupils at MT were Wright who in 2004 became the school’s first 1,000 yard receiver. In his first year with the Blue Raiders (2002), Anderson coached the program’s No. 2 and No. 6 all-time leading receivers in Tyrone Calico and David Youell. Calico earned all-conference honors and was drafted in the second round (60th overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft.

“I am extremely excited with the addition of Blake to our staff,” Bustle said. “His attacking offensive philosophy and experience with the mix of the no-huddle offense is a great fit for our program.”

Anderson spent three seasons at New Mexico before landing at MT. He served as the wide receivers coach in 2001 and running backs coach from 1999-2000. The UNM running backs were responsible for a major share of the Lobo offense in 2000.The Lobos averaged 148 yards per game on the ground, which accounted for 56 percent of the team’s total offense.

Anderson worked at Trinity Valley Community College (1995-98) before joining the Division I-A ranks at UNM. In 1998, he was the offensive coordinator and the Cardinals went 7-3. Trinity Valley led the conference in rushing offense and was eighth nationally. The Cardinals were also second in their league in total offense under Anderson’s guidance and led the league in scoring average. He helped lead the Cardinals to the 1997 NJCAA National Championship.

Other capacities in which Anderson served were quarterbacks and receivers coach, defensive backs coach, and recruiting coordinator. In his four years at Trinity Valley, nine Cardinals were drafted by NFL teams.

Anderson was a two-year letterwinner at receiver for Sam Houston State from 1989-91, and was named Southland Conference All-Academic as a senior. He also played for two years as a quarterback and receiver at Baylor (1987-89) before transferring.

A native of Hubbard, Texas, Anderson graduated with his bachelor’s degree in kinesiology from Sam Houston State in 1992. He also attained his master’s degree in sports administration from Eastern New Mexico in 1994.

While at Eastern New Mexico he began his coaching career. He served as wide receivers/tight ends coach in 1992 before becoming passing game coordinator/wide receivers coach in 1993.

LOUISIANA SI

Homes SO Clean

UL Football Re: New OC at UL.

OK we have a OC, now we need a recievers coach, right? Is there any MT/NM fans that can give any insight on this guy as a person and as a coach?

I trust Bustle, but I have not heard as much about him as a Scelfo (although I now have heard enough about Scelfo and his ways) !

DaddyCajun

Default Re: New OC at UL.

Sorry. Not impressed.

Anyone have any idea why he may have left coaching for 2 years. Besides that little tid-bit, he seems to have a decent background on offense. I would like to hear more from the MT folks also. That's interesting that 3 coaches so far are from other Sun Belt programs. I wouldn't have guessed that to happen. Coach Bustle seems to want experience at the position he's filling instead of moving someone up from another position on a more well known staff, ie QB coach somewhere for OC.

6. Default From february 2003

MTSU Scoop: University of Louisiana-Lafayette DL coach Carey Bailey is new DL coach at MTSU; Darin Hinshaw and Blake Anderson where named co-offensive coordinator. Anderson will continue his receiver responsibilities, where Hinshaw has been given freedom to roam during practice/meetings.

The source of the story

Homes SO Clean

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU
    Anyone have any idea why he may have left coaching for 2 years. Besides that little tid-bit, he seems to have a decent background on offense. I would like to hear more from the MT folks also. That's interesting that 3 coaches so far are from other Sun Belt programs. I wouldn't have guessed that to happen. Coach Bustle seems to want experience at the position he's filling instead of moving someone up from another position on a more well known staff, ie QB coach somewhere for OC.

It's called scraping the bottom of the barrel.

8. UL Football 2 for the price of 1

This can prove to be a great hire.

9. Anderson is used to sharing duties as OC.
  10. He is simultainious wide reciver coach, A good one.

This means Bustle can be active in the offense, Anderson can be active with recievers.

He has a very good track record with recievers. He was the coach credited with turning MTSU record-setting reciever Kerry Wright's career around.

jmo

Quote Originally Posted by HOTBOUDIN
    It's called scraping the bottom of the barrel.
    Give the guy a break. Maybe he had some personal issues (family illness, etc) to deal with.

Who peed in your corn flakes?

UL Football Re: New OC at UL.

Man what is up with all these Sun-belt coaches?

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by HOTBOUDIN
    Sorry. Not impressed.
    I just talked with Coach Bustle and he wanted me to tell you he was sorry. One thing that he really wanted to do with this hiring was to impress Hot Boudin, but was unable to. He also said that as a D1 head football coach, he looks to Hot Boudin's posts for savy tips and talent analysis', and hopes that Hot Boudin's distaste for the OC pick won't discourage him from continuing to suggest how he should run the program.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux
    I just talked with Coach Bustle and he wanted me to tell you he was sorry. One thing that he really wanted to do with this hiring was to impress Hot Boudin, but was unable to. He also said that as a D1 head football coach, he looks to Hot Boudin's posts for savy tips and talent analysis', and hopes that Hot Boudin's distaste for the OC pick won't discourage him from continuing to suggest how he should run the program.
    Cool, that will save me a phone call.

Z.

The new oc seems to be well versed in the passing game and has coached both running backs and receivers. The passing game needed a boost and I hope this coach can heip with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU
    Anyone have any idea why he may have left coaching for 2 years.
    From the Advertiser:
    http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pb.701180338/1006

"I knew my heart was still in football," he said, "but I stepped away to take care of my family and get away from it, get a fresh perspective. I said that when the right time came around I'd know it, and this seemed to be the opportunity . good people and good atmosphere, everything I've found out about Coach Bustle and how he treats his coaches and players, it seemed like all the pieces to the puzzle fit."

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by UL Ragin Cajun
    From the Advertiser:
    http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pb.701180338/1006

"I knew my heart was still in football," he said, "but I stepped away to take care of my family and get away from it, get a fresh perspective. I said that when the right time came around I'd know it, and this seemed to be the opportunity . good people and good atmosphere, everything I've found out about Coach Bustle and how he treats his coaches and players, it seemed like all the pieces to the puzzle fit."
    and there you go. Time to relax and give this old boy a shot. We can bash him a couple of years from now, if it doesnt work out.

Welcome aboard, Coach!

Z.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information