Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 6 SBC Teams in Bowl Games

Ragin' Cajuns 6 SBC Teams in Bowl Games

Just a thoughtThere are 70 bowl spots123 FBS schoolswhich means that 53 teams must finish below .500 in order to open up some at-large spots. Currently there are 30 schools which are bowl in-eligible, leaving 23 to go down. Going into this weekend 10 schools are at 6 loses; 14 schools with 5 loses and 14 schools with 4 loses - with 3 games left to play. That's 38 schools not counting any in the Sunbelt. Of the 10 schools on the edge, 4 of them play each other by season's end and 3 more must play a 5 lose team by season's end. 7 of these schools play there toughest stretch of 3 games to finish. That could be as many as 14 teams dropped from the role.

Conferences I project won't fill their bowl tie-ins: ACC (5 of 8); Big 10 (6 of 8); Big East (3 of 6); CUSA (4 of 5) and Big 12 (7 of 8). Unfortunately, i see the MAC and WAC placing more bowl eligible teams than their spots (10 to 4).

Now, in order for the Sunbelt to score a good crop this bowl season, here's how I see it:

Louisiana - Win outat least the last 3. (8-4; 6-2)
    Monroe - Win out (8-4; 6-2)
    WKU - Win two of three. (8-4; 5-3)
    Middle Tenn. - Win to of three (8-4; 6-2)
    Ark. State - Choke on the last 2 (7-5; 5-3)
    Troy - Destroy everyone (6-6; 5-3)
    *UNT - Could get eligible, but would need to win out, dropping ULM and WKU to 7-5 each. This would jeopardize all 3 teams for bowl consideration.

Just suggesting how this COULD endThe above scenario would also cloud the conference championship picture, but that's college football. Any agreements? Disputes???

2. Default Re: 6 SBC Teams in Bowl Games

Great research.

Thanks

Default Re: 6 SBC Teams in Bowl Games

I know that you have to have 6 wins to be bowl eligible, but lets just say that every 5 or more team gets as of today that 6th win Saturday.
    There are 69 teams with 5 or more wins in FBS right now with 70 bowls to fill.
    Ohio State, North Carolina and Penn State are banned from post season.
    So as of today, there are only 66 teams with 5 or more wins right now.
    I truely believe this year that every bowl eligible team with 6 wins will get into a bowl.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: 6 SBC Teams in Bowl Games

Try this on.atfer last weekends games, now only 20 teams are needed to fall in order to keep the Sunbelt alive for 6(Maybe 7 if UNT can pull 2 upsets in monroe and WKU):

18 (4-6) Teams and their remaining foes
    Maryland - Clemson, FSU
    VaTech - BC, VA
    Virginia - UNC, VaTech
    UConn - Louisville, Cincy
    Pitt - Rutgers, USF
    USF - Miami, Cincy, Pitt
    Iowa - Michigan, Nebraska
    Indiana - Penn State, Purdue
    Purdue - Illinois, Indiana
    Marshall - Houston, ECU
    Houston - Marshall, tulane
    Rice - SMU, UTEP
    Miami(OH) - C. Mich, Ball St.
    C. Mich - Miami (OH), UMass
    Utah - Arizona, Colorado
    Tennessee - Vanderbilt, Kentucky
    Arkansas - Miss St., LSU
    TX State - Navy, NMSU

Honorable Mention (5 loss teams)
    Baylor - Texas Tech, Oklahoma St, Kansas State
    Ole Miss - LSU, Miss St.
    Wake Forest - Notre Dame, Vanderbilt
    GaTech - Duke, Georgia
    Mich. St. - NWSTN, Minnesota

that's 23 teams. UNT isn't great but they are good.Troy only needs 1 win. So do weJust sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    Try this on.atfer last weekends games, now only 20 teams are needed to fall in order to keep the Sunbelt alive for 6(Maybe 7 if UNT can pull 2 upsets in monroe and WKU):

18 (4-6) Teams and their remaining foes
    Maryland - Clemson, FSU
    VaTech - BC, VA
    Virginia - UNC, VaTech
    UConn - Louisville, Cincy
    Pitt - Rutgers, USF
    USF - Miami, Cincy, Pitt
    Iowa - Michigan, Nebraska
    Indiana - Penn State, Purdue
    Purdue - Illinois, Indiana
    Marshall - Houston, ECU
    Houston - Marshall, tulane
    Rice - SMU, UTEP
    Miami(OH) - C. Mich, Ball St.
    C. Mich - Miami (OH), UMass
    Utah - Arizona, Colorado
    Tennessee - Vanderbilt, Kentucky
    Arkansas - Miss St., LSU
    TX State - Navy, NMSU

Honorable Mention (5 loss teams)
    Baylor - Texas Tech, Oklahoma St, Kansas State
    Ole Miss - LSU, Miss St.
    Wake Forest - Notre Dame, Vanderbilt
    GaTech - Duke, Georgia
    Mich. St. - NWSTN, Minnesota

that's 23 teams. UNT isn't great but they are good.Troy only needs 1 win. So do weJust sayin.

Troy is playing good football now. They host Ark State and play @ MT to finish the season. I think and hope that Troy will win at least one of those games. Which ever team they beat will then have 2 losses. That losing team needs to win the final game of the season giving that team 2 losses and a multi-team tie for the SBC Championship, UL being one of those teams assuming we win all of our 3 final games.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Troy is playing good football now. They host Ark State and play @ MT to finish the season. I think and hope that Troy will win at least one of those games. Which ever team they beat will then have 2 losses. That losing team needs to win the final game of the season giving that team 2 losses and a multi-team tie for the SBC Championship, UL being one of those teams assuming we win all of our 3 final games.
    Best case scenario, assuming a Cajun sweep of WKU, FAU and USA, is having Troy beats both stAte and MT, giving them both two losses, then MT beating stAte. MT and the Cajuns being the only two loss teams are then left with a tie for the championship.

Question, how does the tie breaker work if the Cajuns and MT don't have a head to head? MT would have beat stAte, both would have lost to Troy who has alreadly lost to UL.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroCajun View Post
    Best case scenario, assuming a Cajun sweep of WKU, FAU and USA, is having Troy beats both stAte and MT, giving them both two losses, then MT beating stAte. MT and the Cajuns being the only two loss teams are then left with a tie for the championship.

Question, how does the tie breaker work if the Cajuns and MT don't have a head to head? MT would have beat stAte, both would have lost to Troy who has alreadly lost to UL.
    It is co-champions, New Bowl can take either one and fulfill the champions requirement. As a matter fact if 3 or 4 teams tie they can take anyone of those teams to fulfill the requirement.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    It is co-champions, New Bowl can take either one and fulfill the champions requirement. As a matter fact if 3 or 4 teams tie they can take anyone of those teams to fulfill the requirement.
    Does anyone know when that changed?

In 2005 they chose the winner of the tiebreaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post

I have been hearing this since last year, Jay maybe able to confirm. Also Jay did comment that rule or caveat (SP?) maybe going away. I guess we will see.

Nothing changed other than the fact that more than one team made a bowl. The tiebreaker winner is guaranteed a bowl somewhere. That's been that way all along, even today. Since we had one bowl tie in and no other bowls were taking a SBC team, the NO Bowl at Lafayette had to take ASU.

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    Nothing changed other than the fact that more than one team made a bowl. The tiebreaker winner is guaranteed a bowl somewhere. That's been that way all along, even today. Since we had one bowl tie in and no other bowls were taking a SBC team, the NO Bowl at Lafayette had to take ASU.
    Makes sense, thank you!

Geaux Cajuns

12. Default Re: 6 SBC Teams in Bowl Games

In my opinion the correct method is pick a conference winner based on tiebreakers and rank them.

If the conference winner is not bowl eligable they vacate, but you don't go back and pick a conference winner again, like they did in 2005. Nor do you fail to rank them the first time around.

I am not against each school being able to claim a co-championship.

I am also not against the New Orleans bowl taking any co-champ it wants, but it is the duty of the SBC to rank the champs.

jmo

What changed is getting another guaranteed bowl game for the Sun Belt (goDaddy.com bowl); that allowed some flexibility; the SB champ is now guaranteed a bowl game but not the NO Bowl EXCEPT that the NO Bowl has to take the winner at least once every four years (I believe this is correct).

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    What changed is getting another guaranteed bowl game for the Sun Belt (goDaddy.com bowl); that allowed some flexibility; the SB champ is now guaranteed a bowl game but not the NO Bowl EXCEPT that the NO Bowl has to take the winner at least once every four years (I believe this is correct).
    Its twice in every 4 years.

15. Default Re: 6 SBC Teams in Bowl Games

I thought it was once every 3.

LOL

Thanks for cleaning the oven.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information