Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread: CBS Bowl Projection

Never say that Iraq is safer then Detroit. That's just a stupid statement

Default Re: CBS Bowl Projection

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    Recently there was an event in Detroit (I forget what it was) where the Detroit Police would not guarantee the safety of those who attended.
    While I understand the point you are making. Would any police department guarantee the safety of an individual in a city?

Would Lafayette police guarantee that everyone will be safe downtown?

Not trying to patronize, just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by bustleup View Post
    Actually, all things considered, it isn't that far off the mark. He did not say he would BE safer, only that he would FEEL safer. Given that the typical American in Iraq is very well trained, very well equipped to defend himself and generally surrounded by a sizable group of similarly armed and trained individuals dedicated to keeping him alive and safe, I can see his point.

4. UL Football Re: CBS Bowl Projection

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    I think if we were invited to Detroit I would turn it down. We would most certainly lose money and not too many of us would go. It's just not a good place for a bowl game.
    You cannot turn down a bowl as a practical matter. It is one of your most important recruiting tools. Now YOU and I might feel differently, but not a coach, and the young men who want to play. This really sounds like the snobs on ESPN who do not really see much reason for any bowl games that are not BCS bowls.

Don't go if you do not want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    Yeah, it's amazing how, for some, there are bowls that are suddenly beneath us
    I don't see where he implied it was beneath us. Just that we would certainly lose money, and that it's not exactly a fan friendly destination. So we would likely lose a metric ____-load of money to go play in front of only a few of our fans.

That said, if we play there I'll be making my first visit to Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    I don't see where he implied it was beneath us. Just that we would certainly lose money, and that it's not exactly a fan friendly destination. So we would likely lose a metric ____-load of money to go play in front of only a few of our fans.

That said, if we play there I'll be making my first visit to Detroit

What if we got invited to Detroit and we only sold, say 500 tickets, not meeting whatever their ticket gurantee is? Then we had to fly the team and others up there and house them and feed them for a few days. When it was all said and done we lost so much money that Scott Farmer had to give another talk on pushing back constuction plans another year or two because of the loss taken from the bowl gameWould that change anyone's opinion? (Jay is excluded, since he thinks the only issue is that some of us think it's below us)

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    While I understand the point you are making. Would any police department guarantee the safety of an individual in a city?

Would Lafayette police guarantee that everyone will be safe downtown?

Not trying to patronize, just asking.
    The Detroit PD went on national TV warning anyone traveling to Detroit would not have the protection of the PD. It isn't that they said at other times you were guaranteed protection. In a union political move to scare everyone, and hold the Detroit economy hostage, they put that statement out.

Now. as for the safety of Detroit. there were more murders in Detroit during the span of time we've been in Iraq and Afghanistan than troops killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. by a long shot. Detroit tops the list as the most violent city in America.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    I don't think it is beneath us, I just prefer not to go into a battle zone. I would feel safer in Iraq than I would in Detroit. I have spent the last 15 years up north and I can tell you there is nothing good that comes out of that city.

Geaux Cajuns
    I agree. New Orleans is much safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    The Detroit PD went on national TV warning anyone traveling to Detroit would not have the protection of the PD. It isn't that they said at other times you were guaranteed protection. In a union political move to scare everyone, and hold the Detroit economy hostage, they put that statement out.

Now. as for the safety of Detroit. there were more murders in Detroit during the span of time we've been in Iraq and Afghanistan than troops killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. by a long shot. Detroit tops the list as the most violent city in America.
    OK. That's a completely different statement that is really messed up.

10. Default

What if we got invited to Detroit and we only sold, say 500 tickets, not meeting whatever their ticket gurantee is? Then we had to fly the team and others up there and house them and feed them for a few days. When it was all said and done we lost so much money that Scott Farmer had to give another talk on pushing back constuction plans another year or two because of the loss taken from the bowl gameWould that change anyone's opinion? (Jay is excluded, since he thinks the only issue is that some of us think it's below us)
    Bowl games are worth so much more than the game itself.

Paying the bowls a million dollars to participate should be the mindset.

They are forever advertising.

First, we would have a lot more than 500 tickets, a lot more. Second, you can't put a price tag on what it means to a coach trying to build a program for him to go to back to back bowls. Third, the monetary loss of a bowl game should not have any effect on 50-60 million dollar renovation, that money is not gonna make or break that project. it's a reward for the coaches and players and fans who choose to travel. It's an extra 3 weeks of practice that you are not allowed other wise. We have only been to 1 in 40 years, you don't turn down a bowl game under any circumstance, I don't care where it's played or how much it cost.

You don't turn down bowls dude.

If we go bowling, I will do everything I can to attend. Even if its in Detroit. Not ideal but I will take it, I guess.

I don't think we will or we should turn one down. I was just pointing out that the other poster wasn't saying we were too good for the bowl just that it might not be worth the expense. I disagree. I also think we would bring more than most think to that game. I can't imagine we would turn down any bowl invite.

Quote Originally Posted by bustleup View Post
    At least in Iraq I would be able to carry my weapon to protect myself. Detroit does not afford me that right.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread Information