Thread: The Book 2007 Ragin' Cajun Baseball

1. UL Baseball The Book 2007 Ragin' Cajun Baseball

The Book 2007 Ragin' Cajun Baseball season

Search all posts in this thread
Reply With Quote Quote

UL Baseball The Book 2007 Ragin' Cajun baseball Season

Ignore the weather.

It's baseball season.

To be exact, it's 28 days until UL's baseball squad opens its 2007 regular season, and Cajun coach Tony Robichaux and his staff don't have much time to make amends for what they consider shortcomings from last season.

"We were one game away from a championship last year, we want to rectify that," Robichaux said. "We didn't play good enough in the middle of the week. We played poorly in the conference tournament. We didn't get to postseason play. We want to rectify all of that.

"When you add all that up, there's a lot of work to do in the next 28 days."

The Cajuns, coming off a 39-20 season in which they finished second in the Sun Belt Conference by one game, open their season on Feb. 13 against Nicholls State at Moore Field. UL began its preparations with a team meeting Sunday evening and a pair of workouts Monday when the Cajuns dodged the weather.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Default Re: UL hopes to improve on 39-20 record of 2006

I am glad that Robe is finally seeing that mid week games are just as important in the eyes of the NCAA selection committee. I feel we were 1 at most 2 mid week wins from getting an at-large berth. Splitting mid-week games with other in state schools is not exceptable. We should win 2/3rds or better of these games.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Town Cajun
    I am glad that Robe is finally seeing that mid week games are just as important in the eyes of the NCAA selection committee. I feel we were 1 at most 2 mid week wins from getting an at-large berth. Splitting mid-week games with other in state schools is not exceptable. We should win 2/3rds or better of these games.

I agree. I've felt for years that we used mid-week games to develop for conference and such, which sounds fine, but, unfortunately, the selection committee counts them just as it does all other games. In my opinion, we need to win each and every game possible and not simply kiss off certain mid-week games. using them as learning experiences.

Go Cajuns!

UL Baseball Re: UL hopes to improve on 39-20 record of 2006

I renewed my Box seats and will be there with the other Nationally ranked Crowd average of over 2000. We need to get the average over 2500 this year!!!

Robe and Schef and Babb and Chris are another gift to this community as they too are underpaid and year in and year out bring it to the table. There has been some down years but the going back to the Freshman line of thinking is starting to pay off and will stabilze the program!!!

Good luck Cajuns,
    DaddyCajun

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun
    I renewed my Box seats and will be there with the other Nationally ranked Crowd average of over 2000. We need to get the average over 2500 this year!!!

Robe and Schef and Babb and Chris are another gift to this community as they too are underpaid and year in and year out bring it to the table. There has been some down years but the going back to the Freshman line of thinking is starting to pay off and will stabilze the program!!!

Good luck Cajuns,
    DaddyCajun
    God I cant wait to be at the tigue watching some cajun baseball. I love basketball, but baseball definitly takes the #2 in my heart after football.

Tuffguy

I am very upset that I couldn't renew my baseball tickets this year. I had to move to the Houston area (Atascocita/Humble area) and won't be in town enough. I do know that the Cajuns travel to UH and Lamar, so I'll be at those. But devastated that I wont be able to see my boys play on a regular basis. I didn't miss one home game last year.

I believe this season will be special!!!

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCherokee
    I am very upset that I couldn't renew my baseball tickets this year. I had to move to the Houston area (Atascocita/Humble area) and won't be in town enough. I do know that the Cajuns travel to UH and Lamar, so I'll be at those. But devastated that I wont be able to see my boys play on a regular basis. I didn't miss one home game last year.

I believe this season will be special!!!
    Look me up for that UH game. Are any of the Lafayettonians planning on making the trip to H-town for that one. I'll ask again when the time gets closer, but maybe we can have a gathering of sorts or sit together or something. I might try to make it to a UH game before then to scout the area. Any ideas from thsoe who made the regional trip there a few years ago?

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux
    Look me up for that UH game. Are any of the Lafayettonians planning on making the trip to H-town for that one. I'll ask again when the time gets closer, but maybe we can have a gathering of sorts or sit together or something. I might try to make it to a UH game before then to scout the area. Any ideas from thsoe who made the regional trip there a few years ago?
    Maybe you can cook for us(ribeyes will do) and provide all the liquor so we can get all lit up and jerk(screw with) people around at the ballgame?

Trust me, the Cougs will love us!

Z.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21
    Maybe you can cook for us(ribeyes will do) and provide all the liquor so we can get all lit up and jerk(screw with) people around at the ballgame?

Trust me, the Cougs will love us!

Z.
    I'll cook and provide. It'll all be there when you guys get there. I just want to know who's gonna pay for it? Ha

Actually, that isn't a bad idea. It can be a hosting for any coming from Lafayette, and as a gathering of Houston Cajuns who can team up and help with things like Drifference Makers and fundraising and such.

UL Baseball Re: UL hopes to improve on 39-20 record of 2006

It is a beautiful facility. In the state of Texas, I would rank it a close second behind Rice's facility and just ahead of Baylor. Definitely one of the Top 15 facilities in the country (IMHO). It is situated next door to their athletic complex and fieldhouse (very nice). The UH Sports museum is also in this building.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin
    It is a beautiful facility. In the state of Texas, I would rank it a close second behind Rice's facility and just ahead of Baylor. Definitely one of the Top 15 facilities in the country (IMHO). It is situated next door to their athletic complex and fieldhouse (very nice). The UH Sports museum is also in this building.

Brian
    I remember seeking shelter in the fieldhouse during one of the many rain delays in that regional. And I agree that it's a very nice facility.

I'll cook and provide. It'll all be there when you guys get there. I just want to know who's gonna pay for it? Ha

Actually, that isn't a bad idea. It can be a hosting for any coming from Lafayette, and as a gathering of Houston Cajuns who can team up and help with things like Drifference Makers and fundraising and such.
    I'm in on that! Just let me know when and where.

Quote Originally Posted by Kernel
    I remember seeking shelter in the fieldhouse during one of the many rain delays in that regional. And I agree that it's a very nice facility.
    Ahh yes. Those rain delays were palatable because the Cajuns were doing so well. I remember catching the Rice University broadcast of the Lubbock regional during our sequestration in the fieldhouse, hoping that somehow the Red Raiders would win and that we would host Tech in the supers (Rice lost the opening game to #4 seed UW-Milwaukee and then ran the table).

A little story from that regional (sorry if this bores folks) . some folks may remember this particular UT fan (I know Steve M. does).

If you recall, Houston was the #1 seed, Louisiana (USL then) was the #2 seed, Texas was the #3 seed, and SW Texas State (now Texas State) was the #4 seed. My wife (Shannon) and I proceeded to sit down in our seats behind home plate about 30 minutes before the opening game against the Longhorns. We happened to be situated next to a late 30's early 40's woman that was a big UT fan (let's call her redhead). As we were getting ourselves situated, I overheard her grousing to someone that it was an incredible injustice that the no-name Cajuns from the Sun Belt were a #2 seed while the mighty Longhorns from the Big XII were a #3 seed. Especially considering the weak schedule the Cajuns had played (as if she had a clue concerning the Cajun schedule) and the fact that the Cajuns were the recipient of an automatic bid from a weak conference that routinely sent only a single team to postseason play (Sun Belt == SWAC). We were brought into the conversation and I politely explained to her that the Sun Belt was one of the seven best baseball conferences in the country and that three teams were participating in postseason play. Texas, meanwhile, finished 6th in the Big XII and was 35-24 entering the postseason. Texas was really having a down year under third year coach Augie Garrido, but that did not matter to her. She was not in the mood for any of it. The Cajuns went on to thrash the Longhorns and starter Dax Leone 13-6. She had that pained look on her face the entire game. Some of the other Cajun faithful around us were having a lot of fun with the situation. She had irritated a number of people around us and they were dishing it right back.

The next day, she arrived at her seat after a rain delay and was upset that her seat was all wet. We had been drying off our seats with some paper towels that Shannon fetched from the restroom. Seeing that her seat was all wet, we offered her some of our paper towels. She looked at us and made a "hmmph" sound, refusing the paper towels. She then proceeded to sit down in the wet seat. It took all my strength not to just bust out laughing.

Texas went on to eliminate SW Texas State, but then was eliminated by Houston in a game that ended in the wee hours of the morning. The mighty Longhorns that were shafted by the NCAA Selection Committee had been ousted in three games by the lowly and undeserving Cajuns and the Houston Cougars. I remember redhead still complaining about the Cajuns being a #2 seed after the Longhorns had been eliminated and the Cajuns were about to play in the championship game undefeated against the one loss Cougars. You just had to laugh.

A year later Shannon and I happened to see her from a distance at Rosenblatt Stadium. The Longhorns had upset #7 national seed Arizona State in the Tempe regional and as a result, were allowed to host a cupcake Penn State squad in the super-regionals. I wondered what she thought of the Cajuns not only making it to Omaha, but actually finishing third. Meanwhile, the mighty Longhorns (and Beau Hale) were throttled by LSU 13-5 (Brad Hawpe was all over UT pitching) and eliminated by Florida State (Longhorns gone in two). Two years later when Texas won the national championship, the Cajuns had actually defeated Texas 2-1 in the Astros College Classic. It was like she unleashed the curse on the Longhorns when it came to the Cajuns. The weauxf gods were listening and employed their wrath.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin
    Ahh yes. Those rain delays were palatable because the Cajuns were doing so well. I remember catching the Rice University broadcast of the Lubbock regional during our sequestration in the fieldhouse, hoping that somehow the Red Raiders would win and that we would host Tech in the supers (Rice lost the opening game to #4 seed UW-Milwaukee and then ran the table).

A little story from that regional (sorry if this bores folks) . some folks may remember this particular UT fan (I know Steve M. does).

If you recall, Houston was the #1 seed, Louisiana (USL then) was the #2 seed, Texas was the #3 seed, and SW Texas State (now Texas State) was the #4 seed. My wife (Shannon) and I proceeded to sit down in our seats behind home plate about 30 minutes before the opening game against the Longhorns. We happened to be situated next to a late 30's early 40's woman that was a big UT fan (let's call her redhead). As we were getting ourselves situated, I overheard her grousing to someone that it was an incredible injustice that the no-name Cajuns from the Sun Belt were a #2 seed while the mighty Longhorns from the Big XII were a #3 seed. Especially considering the weak schedule the Cajuns had played (as if she had a clue concerning the Cajun schedule) and the fact that the Cajuns were the recipient of an automatic bid from a weak conference that routinely sent only a single team to postseason play (Sun Belt == SWAC). We were brought into the conversation and I politely explained to her that the Sun Belt was one of the seven best baseball conferences in the country and that three teams were participating in postseason play. Texas, meanwhile, finished 6th in the Big XII and was 35-24 entering the postseason. Texas was really having a down year under third year coach Augie Garrido, but that did not matter to her. She was not in the mood for any of it. The Cajuns went on to thrash the Longhorns and starter Dax Leone 13-6. She had that pained look on her face the entire game. Some of the other Cajun faithful around us were having a lot of fun with the situation. She had irritated a number of people around us and they were dishing it right back.

The next day, she arrived at her seat after a rain delay and was upset that her seat was all wet. We had been drying off our seats with some paper towels that Shannon fetched from the restroom. Seeing that her seat was all wet, we offered her some of our paper towels. She looked at us and made a "hmmph" sound, refusing the paper towels. She then proceeded to sit down in the wet seat. It took all my strength not to just bust out laughing.

Texas went on to eliminate SW Texas State, but then was eliminated by Houston in a game that ended in the wee hours of the morning. The mighty Longhorns that were shafted by the NCAA Selection Committee had been ousted in three games by the lowly and undeserving Cajuns and the Houston Cougars. I remember redhead still complaining about the Cajuns being a #2 seed after the Longhorns had been eliminated and the Cajuns were about to play in the championship game undefeated against the one loss Cougars. You just had to laugh.

A year later Shannon and I happened to see her from a distance at Rosenblatt Stadium. The Longhorns had upset #7 national seed Arizona State in the Tempe regional and as a result, were allowed to host a cupcake Penn State squad in the super-regionals. I wondered what she thought of the Cajuns not only making it to Omaha, but actually finishing third. Meanwhile, the mighty Longhorns (and Beau Hale) were throttled by LSU 13-5 (Brad Hawpe was all over UT pitching) and eliminated by Florida State (Longhorns gone in two). Two years later when Texas won the national championship, the Cajuns had actually defeated Texas 2-1 in the Astros College Classic. It was like she unleashed the curse on the Longhorns when it came to the Cajuns. The weauxf gods were listening and employed their wrath.

Brian
    I had a few similar experiences that regional with UT fans. The 1st game against Houston was about as much fun as I've had watching baseball in my life.

• Page 1 of 74 1 2 3 4 11 . LastLast

Thread Information