Page 51 of 74 FirstFirst . 41 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 61 . LastLast

Thread: The Book 2007 Ragin' Cajun Baseball

Default Re: Ragin’ Cajuns Fall to Tulane

The umpiring in this game was horrrrible. A lot of the fans were very vocal. I think Coach Robicheaux should have got out there to argue after the ump made the call that the ball hit to the right field line was fair. No way that ball landed in fair territory. That pretty much cost us the game.

2. UL Baseball Tulane rallies past Ragin' Cajuns

METAIRIE - UL's baseball squad pounced on Tulane standout righthander Matt Goebel for four runs in the second inning here Wednesday . and didn't get any more the rest of the evening.

Eventually, that wasn't enough.

The Green Wave nipped and tugged at that lead over the next four innings and finally got enough offense going to escape with a 5-4 victory over the Cajuns in the first meeting for the teams in three years.

The Wave snapped a 4-4 tie in the bottom of the sixth on Warren McFadden's RBI double, but the key to victory for Tulane (25-10) was on the mound. Goebel, after allowing the four runs on five hits in the second, stranded runners in scoring position in each of the next two innings, and the Cajuns (26-8) were ineffective over the last five frames.

"That's a fifth-year senior with a competitive makeup," said Tulane coach Rick Jones of Goebel (6-1). "Some younger guy may not have kept his composure like that."

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

3. UL Baseball Opponents View: Green Wave rallies to defeat Ragin' Cajuns

After a shaky second inning in which Tulane starting pitcher Matt Goebel gave up four runs, it appeared Lafayette-Louisiana had his number.

The Cajuns didn't.

Goebel recovered, and second baseman Brad Emaus and right fielder Warren McFadden combined for six of the Green Wave's 12 hits in a 5-4 victory over the Ragin' Cajuns on Wednesday night at Zephyr Field.

Goebel allowed nine hits, five in the second inning when the Cajuns (26-8) scored all of their runs.

"When we got those four, we wanted to build on it, and he could have collapsed right there after that big inning," UL-Lafayette Coach Tony Robichaux said. "He held us at bay. We had many opportunities to build on it, but he made big pitches when he needed to and bypassed the middle innings."

After tying the score in the fifth, the Green Wave (25-10) took a 5-4 lead when Emaus started a sixth-inning rally with a single to center. Emaus scored from first base when McFadden hit an 0-2 pitch to the wall in right-center.

"We just never stopped," Emaus said. "We never gave up and played solid baseball. We just kept chipping away."

The rest of the story

By Fred Robinson

You are right, the umpiring was bad, Coach Robe did go out on the foul ball, but the 3 knuckleheads in blue just couldn't find it in their hearts to make the correct call.

Soon as I heard that happen, I turned off the game. I had that bad feeling start sinking in. And while, it did "cost" us the game, I agree with the person who said earlier that's it's good to experience "having a game in the bag" and finding a way to lose it. Sure that call "cost" us the game, but when we only lost by one point, we could have found other ways to overcome the umps.

Hopefully with Troy and Az St comin up, we'll charge full speed ahead. And isn't it wonderful when we can complain about things like this and be "mad" when our team is still over .750 winning percentage. Gosh life is good as a UL baseball fan.

God Bless

GEAUX UL RAGIN CAJUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!

UL Baseball Re: Opponents View: Green Wave rallies to defeat Ragin' Cajuns

Great game, few bad calls could have really changed things, but we did not field the ball cleanly and quit hitting.

That being said, As a part of our marketing at UL we must be more forward in asking not to use just "Lafayette" and/or "Lafayette-Louisiana(bet that cat was laughing all the way with that one) or ULL, etc.

I know the road will be longer and harder than maybe in other states but when the education levels are what they are around "Certain" parts of LSU, Nawalins, funroe, etc, What else can we expect?!?!?!?!?!?

1) Keep building the mo,(facility improvements)
    2) keep buying your season tickets, and buy season tickets if you never have this year
    3) donate time and labor(small and large projects) Call Gerald Hebert @962-0296 to say how you can help and then act on it
    4) Money(many ways have been set up so that one can donate lump sums(small or large) or affordable amounts each month!
    5)Talk positive and not defensive about our programs. Are they where they could be? NO Are they where we want them? NO Then lets ALL do what we and our friends/companies can, and little by little watch things grow.

Like Robe once said, "Players and Coaches will come and go, what the community decides to put into these facilities is their choice, and is theirs to be proud of, and stays in the community."

DaddyCajun

7. UL Baseball Re: Ragin’ Cajuns Fall to Tulane

Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    _ Soon as I heard that happen, I turned off the game. I had that bad feeling start sinking in. And while, it did "cost" us the game, I agree with the person who said earlier that's it's good to experience "having a game in the bag" and finding a way to lose it. Sure that call "cost" us the game, but when we only lost by one point, we could have found other ways to overcome the umps.

Hopefully with Troy and Az St comin up, we'll charge full speed ahead. And isn't it wonderful when we can complain about things like this and be "mad" when our team is still over .750 winning percentage. Gosh life is good as a UL baseball fan.

God Bless

GEAUX UL RAGIN CAJUNS!!!!!!!!!!!! _
    The call was horrible. The fly ball hit at least a foot outside of the first base line. Gisclair made a tremendous effort to catch it. Nobody knows if it cost us the game. First of all nobody knows what the batter might have done if it had been called properly. For sure it put runners in scoring position

Quote Originally Posted by CajunHeat2
    _ The call was horrible. The fly ball hit at least a foot outside of the first base line. Gisclair made a tremendous effort to catch it. Nobody knows if it cost us the game. First of all nobody knows what the batter might have done if it had been called properly. For sure it put runners in scoring position _
    I agree. The bottom line is that we didn't get it done. We had opportunities to get more runs earlier, but we didn't hit the ball.

Time to put this one behind us and get ready for Troy.

how bout the half pump strike three. no wait that was a ball that one was PRICELESS needless to say the batter on the next pitch hits a 2rbi single

10. UL Baseball Re: Ragin’ Cajuns Fall to Tulane

The officiating was disturbing. I was furious watching that game fold out the way it did. The cajuns started of with great momentum, unfortunatly they could not maintain. The greenies had some clutch hits so i cant say that the bad call in FOUL territory cost us the game, but it did start the bleeding. I do want to comment on how great the cajun fans were at this game. If you would of closed your eyes you could of sworn you were at the tigue. The cajun attendence was great and the fans were loud. I understand that N.O. is not that far, but i did not expect such a great turnout.

11. UL Baseball Re: Ragin’ Cajuns Fall to Tulane

Does anyone know the status of J Robicheaux's hand after he got hit?

This is so COOL Re: Ragin’ Cajuns Fall to Tulane

Quote Originally Posted by barry0
    _ Does anyone know the status of J Robicheaux's hand after he got hit? _
    serious bruise, he will be OK!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Ragin’ Cajuns Fall to Tulane

I was sitting behind the Cajun's dugout and saw one member of the team get thrown out of the game for comments directed at the first base umpire. The reason Robe came out of the dugout the second time was because he was called out by the first base ump and needless to say got an earfull and a lesson on not giving a coach the curled finger "come see" and a lot more about doing his job. Robe then proceeded to tell the player he's out even though he wasn't in uniform he headed to the locker room. After the last pich of the game Nolan Gisclair made a comment to the same ump as he was exiting next to the dugout and was given the thumb up "your out" signal which will probably mean he have to miss Friday's game!!!!!! I don't condone out of line comments by players and don't pretend to even guess what the comment was but this guy caused the game to get away from measuring the play between two very talented teams. He and the home plate ump failed to call the game the way a seasoned crew would have and allowed the match to be determined other than by hitting, pitching and catching. And in closing to the Tulane player who gave the Tiger Wood fist pump to the Cajun dugout after scoring.you better hope you don't see our boy's down the road.

CYALATA

14. UL Baseball Tatford takes hot bat to Troy

Maybe the late-season power surge came early.

Jefferies Tatford and UL baseball fans are hoping so, anyway.

The Cajuns' senior left fielder and occasional first baseman found Western Kentucky pitching to his liking last weekend, with home runs in all three games against the Hilltoppers. It was enough to earn Tatford honors as both Sun Belt Player of the Week and state Hitter of the Week.

It was also a sudden show of power in what has been a remarkably consistent season for the Lafayette and St. Thomas More product.

"I don't feel like I'm doing anything different," Tatford said one day prior to the Cajuns' Sun Belt Conference series opener at Troy. "I'm just putting good swings on balls in my zone."

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Quote Originally Posted by keithj
    The umpiring in this game was horrrrible. A lot of the fans were very vocal. I think Coach Robicheaux should have got out there to argue after the ump made the call that the ball hit to the right field line was fair. No way that ball landed in fair territory. That pretty much cost us the game.

what cost us the game was not hitting after the second inning

Page 51 of 74 FirstFirst . 41 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 61 . LastLast

Thread Information