Page 43 of 74 FirstFirst . 33 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 53 . LastLast

Thread: The Book 2007 Ragin' Cajun Baseball

Default Re: . . . still learning the perfect game

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    A week ago I wondered how a reliever can be picked the winner when he comes in with a multiple run lead and the lead diminishes while on the mound. Especially when he pitches roughly 2/3 the innings of the starter. . . . Here was an answer. Now this week I was wondering how a 3 inning pitcher gets the win?

This morning I asked Stevie P to explain the difference on how game winners were picked . . . after all "baseball is the perfect game"

This week is almost the opposite of last week wherein Justin starts, pitches shut out ball but only pitches 3 innings and gets the win.

Steve's answer was and I am condensing and paraphrasing; if the number of innings to be pitched is pre-announced, a pitcher who pitches only one inning can get the win.
    Thanks Turbine. That was the question I had because Baby Robe only went 3.

UL Baseball UL vs FIU Series

By the way, Turbine, you're going to LOVE how they list us on their score board!!!

http://www.fiusports.com/liveStats/l.LIST_SPORT_ID=

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Live stats for the FIU series.

NOLAN GISCLAIR YAKS A 3-RUN HOMER TO BREAK A 3-3 TIE!!!

UL 6
    fiu 3 Top 7th; 1 out.

UL Baseball Re: Live stats for the FIU series.

NOCajun is man of the hour.

5. Default Re: Live stats for the FIU series.

Quote Originally Posted by Turner
    NOCajun is man of the hour.
    Final score- 10-3. Cajuns win!!!

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Live stats for the FIU series.

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun
    By the way, Turbine, you're going to LOVE how they list us on their score board!!!

Is Louisiana-Lafayette a bad thing? If it can't be Louisiana or UL, That would be my second choice, over the capitol U then the two capitol L's

7. UL Baseball Pair of Four-Run Innings Powers Cajuns Past FIU

MIAMI, Fla.-Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns baseball team needed two big innings to power past Florida International on Friday night 10-3.

With the win, the Cajuns improve to 22-5 overall and 8-2 in Sun Belt Conference play. The loss drops the Golden Panthers to 15-14 over all and 2-5 SBC.

Two Ragin’ Cajuns collected multiple hits on the night. Nolan Gisclair led the Cajuns. The junior outfielder collected three hits, including a homerun; scored two runs and drove in a game high four runs.

Scott Hawkins collected a pair of hits on the night. The sophomore collected his 12th multi-hit game of the season. In the ninth inning, Hawkins added a two-run homerun to help pad the Cajuns lead.

Starting pitcher Buddy Glass did not have his best pitches on the night, but escaped to collect his fifth win of the season. Glass scattered seven hits in 6.0 innings of work. He allowed three runs—one earned run. He struck out four batters while only issuing one free pass.

Danny Farquhar picked up the save for the Cajuns. The save was the sixth of the season for the Pembroke Pines, Fla. native. He worked the final three innings of work without allowing a run. Farquhar retired the first seven batters he faced before walking a batter. He surrendered just two hits on the night, while striking out four.

The Golden Panthers were the first to scratch the scoreboard. A lead off double down the left field line started the game for FIU. An RBI single bounced over the head of Devery Van De Keere at third base to score the lead runner from second base. With no outs, the Cajuns trailed 1-0 with a runner on first base. Glass worked the count full to the next batter. The Panthers tried a hit and run, but Glass recorded the strikeout and Jonathan Lucroy was able to gun down the runner at second base for the second out of the inning. A fly ball ended the inning, but after one full inning of play, the Ragin’ Cajuns trailed 1-0.

For the second straight inning, the Florida International led off the inning with a double to left field. However, this time the runner would go no further. A ground ball kept the runner on second and recorded the first out of the inning. A shallow fly ball to left field recorded the second out of the inning and a fly ball to right field ended the FIU threat.

The Cajuns missed a prime opportunity in the third inning. With one out in the inning, Josh Logan singled up the middle to give the Cajuns a base runner. A failed pick off attempt moved Logan to second base and Logan’s eighth stolen base of the season put the Cajuns 90-feet away from tying the game. A strikeout and a ground out to the catcher ended the UL threat and left the Cajuns trailing by one.

In the fifth inning, William Long led off the inning with a single up the middle. It was the first time all game that the Cajuns had the leadoff batter reach base in the game. Long stole second base to give the Cajuns their first runner in scoring position since the first inning. With one out, Devon Bourque singled through the right side of the infield to plate the first run of the night for UL. After the Golden Panthers recorded the second out of the inning, Nolan Gisclair collected his second hit of the game. Third base coach John Szefc waved the runner home and Bourque beat the tag for the second run of the inning. Midway through the game the Cajuns claimed a 2-1 lead.

For the third time in five innings, the Cajuns allowed the lead off batter to reach base. A single to left field began the inning. A sacrifice bunt moved the runner to second base, but back-to-back strikeouts by Glass retired the side and ended the FIU threat.

The Golden Panthers answered the Cajuns’ two runs in the bottom of the sixth inning. For the fourth time in the game, FIU got the lead runner on base. This time the Florida Atlantic needed a throwing error by the Cajuns to get the lead runner on base. A one-out double gave the Golden Panthers a pair of runners in scoring position. The lead runner came across to score on a groundout, tying the game at 2-2. An RBI single plated the second runner of the inning giving FIU the one-run lead.

The Cajuns regained the lead in the top of the seventh. With one out, Justin Robichaux singled to right center to get things started for the Cajuns. Bourque drew a 10-pitch base on balls to turn the lineup over for UL. Dustin Miller pinch ran for Robichaux at second base. Miller advanced to third on a pitch in the dirt. Logan reached on a fielder’s choice that was mishandled by the FIU shortstop allowing Bourque to advance to second safely. On the play, Miller came into score knotting the game at 3-3. Gisclair made the Golden Panthers pay for the error as he hit his fifth homerun of the season. The three-run shot gave the Cajuns a 6-3 edge after six and a half innings of play.

The Cajuns put another four-spot in the ninth inning. Gisclair drew a one-out walk to start things off for the Cajuns. He moved to second as Tatford reached on a fielding error by FIU. Jonathan Lucroy doubled to deep centerfield to plate both runners and extend the Cajuns’ lead. Van De Keere drew a base on balls and Scott Hawkins hit his sixth homerun of the season to give the Cajuns a four-run inning. The Cajuns took a 10-3 lead into the bottom of the ninth.

After retiring the first seven batters he faced, Farquhar loaded the bases in the bottom of the ninth. A walk and a pair of singles loaded the bases, but three strikeouts ended the inning and the threat.

The Ragin’ Cajuns and Golden Panthers will continue the series on Saturday afternoon. First pitch is scheduled for 12 p.m. Central time.

LOUISIANA SI

Default Re: UL vs FIU Series

Robe is no doubt an excellent manager and I would not trade him for anyone, but after the Cajuns went up 10-3 after the top of the 9th, I would have pulled Farquhar and pitched someone else. Farquhar over 40 pitches tonight. For sure he will not be avaliabe tommorow and we will wait and see for Sunday.

I sure would like to see Alexander break the record! I dont understand how you can have a guy hitting 314, with a 21 game hitting streak, on the bench.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by cjntgr
    I sure would like to see Alexander break the record! I dont understand how you can have a guy hitting 314, with a 21 game hitting streak, on the bench.
    His glove is waaaaaay suspect.

Z.

His bat isnt though, Bourque is batting 232 and long is batting 273. I didnt realize offense didnt matter. I guess thats why im no coach lol. I just think he deserves a shot at breaking the record.

His bat isnt though, Bourque is batting 232 and long is batting 273. I didnt realize offense didnt matter. I guess thats why im no coach lol. I just think he deserves a shot at breaking the record.
    His glove cost us big in the Middle series. He has a great bat but until he gets his glove right he is perfect where he is at. He will get his at bats don't worry about that.

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: UL vs FIU Series

Bourque in addition to hitting 232 is as big a bigger offensive threat. Bourque is absolutely the best guy we have on the team in getting his full at bat. Bourque rarely strikes out or hits into a double play. Last night was a prime example of that when late in the game he had a tremendous at bat using up ten pitches to take a walk. A walk that pushed the FIU pitcher to over a hundred pitches. We would later go on to have the big inning that broke FIU. Long at second? A couple of errors negates the difference in batting averages, plus an error eats up your pitchers arm. If I am getting one less error a series it is easily worth the difference in batting IMO.

14. UL Baseball UL baseball rolls to win over FIU

Two home runs and an 11-hit attack helped UL's baseball team win its Sun Belt Conference weekend series opener Friday, but a base on balls might have been just as important.

Cajun second baseman Devon Bourque battled Florida International starter Chris Allen on a 10-pitch at-bat in the seventh inning before drawing that walk, one that put a potential tying run in scoring position and allowed that run to score on an error moments later.

Nolan Gisclair followed with a towering three-run homer, giving UL all the impetus it needed in a 10-3 victory at FIU's University Park in Miami in the first game of a three-game weekend series.

The win, coupled with Troy's 14-5 loss at Western Kentucky, put UL (22-5, 8-2) into sole possession of second place in the league behind UL Monroe (18-9, 9-1), which topped Middle Tennessee 13-7 on the road. The Cajuns and FIU (15-14, 2-5) meet at noon today and Sunday in the final two games of the weekend series.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

15. Default Re: UL vs FIU Series

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun

As of this am, Boydsworld has our RPI up to #10. Sw----EEEET!!!!!

Geaux Cajuns!!!!!! Sweep the Panthers this weekend!!!!!

Page 43 of 74 FirstFirst . 33 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 53 . LastLast

Thread Information