Page 39 of 74 FirstFirst . 29 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 49 . LastLast

Thread: The Book 2007 Ragin' Cajun Baseball

Default Re: Pathetic umpiring?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunproud
    I hate to jump on the umpires, especially after a sweep of FAU, but.
    I usually expect to see a couple of games every year where the umpiring is poor, but this season has been very disturbing to say the least. I was at the game yesterday, and the umpire behind the plate was absolutely one of the worst ball/strike umpires I have seen. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason behind what was a strike and what was a ball. It was almost as though he had a pre-conceived idea of where the pitch should be, and if the pitcher didn't hit the exact spot, it was a ball.

I know we have struggled to find a consistent Sunday starter, but I thought Solich threw very well yesterday. He had good velocity and good movement on his pitches. Unfortunately for him, he got stuck with that monkey for an umpire.

My point is (I guess) is that I have seen many other games this year at the Tigue and have heard several on the radio, where there has been very poor umpiring. I know the umps don't get paid much and they do it because they love the game, but come on, they need to do a better job.
    It always amazes me when I hear people sitting at least 50 feet away from home plate and at an angle complain that the professional standing three feet away from the plate is making all the wrong calls. I'm not saying that bad calls don't get made but the only way you could conceivably pass judgment on an ump for his calls at the plate is by standing right there behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Express
    Cannot agree more, the guys in blue are awful, but it is what it is.
    I have noticed that in my experiences over the last decade of coaching, watching, administrating baseball, the state of officiating as a whole has deteriorated drastically. Gone are the majority of umpires that officiated for love of the game and took pride in the knowledge that is required to do the job. This is true at all levels of amateur baseball and the lower levels of professional ball.

There are still exceptions out there, but unfortunately their numbers are in the minority. It is a thankless job, but the pay is getting better every year. I've always believed that in order to officiate the game, you should be required to have played the game at least above the youth league level. There is no substitute for the insight that a player has on the field. The good umps know what it takes to make the diving play and the throw to first from the knees only to have an umpire call a runner safe because the ball got there at the exact moment the runner did. A players umpire will "Ring Him Up!"

Most coaches and players will respect that effort and very few will argue as long as it is called both ways. A good umpire with go virtually unnoticed during the course of the game. When is the last time that happened?

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel
    It always amazes me when I hear people sitting at least 50 feet away from home plate and at an angle complain that the professional standing three feet away from the plate is making all the wrong calls. I'm not saying that bad calls don't get made but the only way you could conceivably pass judgment on an ump for his calls at the plate is by standing right there behind him.
    I sit right behind the plate. The guy on Saturday blew.

i dont have as much of a problem with an ump who makes bad calls or who has a small strike zone as i do wih an inconsistent ump. These guys would call a pitch a strike then 2 or 3 pitches later call it a ball. If an ump isnt giving a pitcher a certain pitch then don't give it to him at all, how can a pitcher work a batter when he throws the same pitches but one is a strike and the other is a ball. At the same time how can hitters take pitches that they question if the ump is goijng to get it right, in turn you have batters going after pitches they would not normally chase. Yesterday the ump had a called strike on xavier that was below his knees, do you know how low that is to be below X's knees. Now the umps inability to call strikes ultimately help us at the end of the game but good ar bad they were just inconsistent all weekend.

I can "conceivably" pass judgment becuase, 1. it is my opinion, 2. i am a season ticket holder and a fan, 3. i played the game and was a college athlete.

Look, I qualified my statements by saying that "I know the umps don't get paid much and they do it because they love the game,."

Go back and read the post.

Bottom line is that the umps this weekend simply sucked.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I can "conceivably" pass judgment becuase, 1. it is my opinion, 2. i am a season ticket holder and a fan, 3. i played the game and was a college athlete.

Look, I qualified my statements by saying that "I know the umps don't get paid much and they do it because they love the game,."

Go back and read the post.

Bottom line is that the umps this weekend simply sucked.
    It was the view of the radio announcers as well. Professionals that they are, they avoided words like "suck.ed". I for one, appreciate that cause I never use profanity.

Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21
    It was the view of the radio announcers as well. Professionals that they are, they avoided words like "suck.ed". I for one, appreciate that cause I never use profanity.

Z.
    I didn't mean to offend you Z, but I call them like I see them. (Here's the sarcastic part) I don't see how you could conceivably question my use of the term "sucked" unless you were a beer swilling, college baseball lovin fool and unless you were sitting in my exact seat at the game, blah, blah

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun
    i dont have as much of a problem with an ump who makes bad calls or who has a small strike zone as i do wih an inconsistent ump. These guys would call a pitch a strike then 2 or 3 pitches later call it a ball. If an ump isnt giving a pitcher a certain pitch then don't give it to him at all, how can a pitcher work a batter when he throws the same pitches but one is a strike and the other is a ball. At the same time how can hitters take pitches that they question if the ump is goijng to get it right, in turn you have batters going after pitches they would not normally chase. Yesterday the ump had a called strike on xavier that was below his knees, do you know how low that is to be below X's knees. Now the umps inability to call strikes ultimately help us at the end of the game but good ar bad they were just inconsistent all weekend.
    Inconsistency is the biggest problem. There are very few umps, from my usual vantage point, who have consistency throughout the game. I don't care if he calls pitches thrown behind the batter as strikes, as long as they are all strikes. I would love to see Roger Clemens or Greg Maddux come in a pitch against the cajuns. There is a strong chance that the Cajuns could knock 'em around a bit. These guys who have made livings painting corners and taking advantage of what the umps give them, wouldn't stand a chance against these knuckleheads.

UL Baseball UL vs LA Tech

Any word on who is going to get the start against La. Tech tomorrow?

Possibly Zorich? Harmon? Wellborn?

Any word on how Farquar is feeling after yesterdays outting? What about Solich? I thought he pitched very well yesterday.

Default Re: Starter agains La. Tech/

Any word on who is going to get the start against La. Tech tomorrow?

Possibly Zorich? Harmon? Wellborn?

Any word on how Farquar is feeling after yesterdays outting? What about Solich? I thought he pitched very well yesterday.
    Justin Robicheaux, according to Tony on the post game show yesterday.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I didn't mean to offend you Z, but I call them like I see them. (Here's the sarcastic part) I don't see how you could conceivably question my use of the term "sucked" unless you were a beer swilling, college baseball lovin fool and unless you were sitting in my exact seat at the game, blah, blah
    trust me, I'll get over it!!!! It sucks that "sucked" isnt a part of my vocabulary. I believe I'll add it to my reportoire!!!

Z.

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux
    Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21
    trust me, I'll get over it!!!! It sucks that "sucked" isnt a part of my vocabulary. I believe I'll add it to my reportoire!!!

Z.
    Your sucky reportoire?

Tuffguy

Quote Originally Posted by TuffGuy84
    Your sucky reportoire?

Tuffguy
    not since I added "sucked".

Z

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux

WOW! didnt he pitch a bit this past weekend? Maybe Friday night?

Z.

Page 39 of 74 FirstFirst . 29 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 49 . LastLast

Thread Information