Page 38 of 74 FirstFirst . 28 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 48 . LastLast

Thread: The Book 2007 Ragin' Cajun Baseball

Default Re: Today's Game

Quote Originally Posted by cjntgr
    Just curious as to why Alexander isnt playing? Is he hurt? He's swinging the bat well. He has a 19 game hit streak, but has made a few costly errors.

Alexander's glove is lacking. If any position needs to provide solid defense, its shortstop. and X was surely not doing that. His errors and in several instances his inability to get the ball cleanly out of his glove was muffing up double plays. Those don't go down officially as errors, but they are mistakes that can't be excused at shortstop.

2. UL Baseball Re: Today's Game

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed
    Alexander's glove is lacking. If any position needs to provide solid defense, its shortstop. and X was surely not doing that. His errors and in several instances his inability to get the ball cleanly out of his glove was muffing up double plays. Those don't go down officially as errors, but they are mistakes that can't be excused at shortstop.
    No doubt shortstop requires a hot glove . . .

Now I don't know much about baseball so anyone who wants, can correct me but it seems to me . . . . If your glove was good enough in the preseason to win you the SHORT STOP position, even if it is in a temporary slump, it’s probably still good enough at some other position.

I was under the impression that you always found a position for the hot bat. So rather than judge a player on his slumping abilities at shortstop the question I would have is whether or not his arm strength still OK? If his ball handling is poor at shortstop would it still be OK somewhere else where he has more time to react? Is he suffering if the ball is hit to his left or his right?

Seems to me a hot bat needs to be in the lineup.

Now then if his hitting steak is hurting his overall hitting average then perhaps you sit him so his bat cools off and he can concentrate on the overall picture.

ps I have more questions than answers and my answers carry no weight they are only loosley formed opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine

Now I don't know much about baseball so anyone who wants, can correct me but it seems to me . . . . If your glove was good enough in the preseason to win you the SHORT STOP position, even if it is in a temporary slump, it’s probably still good enough at some other position.

I was under the impression that you always found a position for the hot bat. So rather than judge a player on his slumping abilities at shortstop the question I would have is whether or not his arm strength still OK? If his ball handling is poor at shortstop would it still be OK somewhere else where he has more time to react? Is he suffering if the ball is hit to his left or his right?

Now then if his hitting steak is hurting his overall hitting average then perhaps you sit him so his bat cools off and he can concentrate on the overall picture.

ps I have more questions than answers and my answers carry no weight they are only loosley formed opinion.

EVEN THOUGH X HAS THE GREAT HITTING STREAK GOING ON HIS AVERAGE IS GOOD BUT NOT GREAT AND HE STRIKES OUT A LOT FOR A LEADOFF GUY.X HAS GREAT SPEED BUT IF YOU CANT REACH BASE IT DOESNT YOU NO GOOD.

Default Re: Ragin' Cajun pitchers silence Florida International Owls

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21
    Unfortunately, our P.O.S newspaper apparently only keeps a "skeleton" crew for the weekends. The Advertisers writer(Dan McDonald) was covering the golf tournament at Le Triomphe. We had to use the second and third string outsiders to cover UL baseball and softball.

What a freakin joke.

Z.

Not only that, The Advertiger didn't even have anyone to cover LSU's second loss to Kentucky.

5. Default Re: Ragin' Cajun pitchers silence Florida International Owls

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21
    Unfortunately, our P.O.S newspaper apparently only keeps a "skeleton" crew for the weekends. The Advertisers writer(Dan McDonald) was covering the golf tournament at Le Triomphe. We had to use the second and third string outsiders to cover UL baseball and softball.

What a freakin joke.

Z.
    Z, I saw Dan McDonald walk up to the press box about the seventh inning at the Friday night's game.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Ragin' Cajun pitchers silence Florida International Owls

Quote Originally Posted by Square Head
    Z, I saw Dan McDonald walk up to the press box about the seventh inning at the Friday night's game.
    SQ, either way.the story wasnt done by him or any of the other local staff and it reeked.

Make no mistake about it SQ, I an not hammering Dan or any of those guys. The paper is a zero. It goes much deeper than the sports section, as you well know.

Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine

Come on Turb, I know your the number guy, so even with your lack of baseball knowledge, I know youll follow this. X is hitting at .309, with 81 AB and 25 Hits, but he also has 7 errors that effectively counteract 7 of his hits. If you have a flawless fielder, he only has to hit .222 to be more effective than X. At some point this weekend, a single error could have ruined us against a good hitting club like FAU.

Tuffguy

UL Baseball Pathetic umpiring?

I hate to jump on the umpires, especially after a sweep of FAU, but.
    I usually expect to see a couple of games every year where the umpiring is poor, but this season has been very disturbing to say the least. I was at the game yesterday, and the umpire behind the plate was absolutely one of the worst ball/strike umpires I have seen. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason behind what was a strike and what was a ball. It was almost as though he had a pre-conceived idea of where the pitch should be, and if the pitcher didn't hit the exact spot, it was a ball.

I know we have struggled to find a consistent Sunday starter, but I thought Solich threw very well yesterday. He had good velocity and good movement on his pitches. Unfortunately for him, he got stuck with that monkey for an umpire.

My point is (I guess) is that I have seen many other games this year at the Tigue and have heard several on the radio, where there has been very poor umpiring. I know the umps don't get paid much and they do it because they love the game, but come on, they need to do a better job.

Default Re: Pathetic umpiring?

Yesterday was horrible!!! A strike would be thrown and then the next pitch would be in the exact location of the last pitch but it is a ball. HORRIBLE!!! But I have seen worse lol

UL Baseball Re: Pathetic umpiring?

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364
    Yesterday was horrible!!! A strike would be thrown and then the next pitch would be in the exact location of the last pitch but it is a ball. HORRIBLE!!! But I have seen worse lol
    Cannot agree more, the guys in blue are awful, but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Express
    Cannot agree more, the guys in blue are awful, but it is what it is.

Everything is relative.

If you watched the guy at McNeese Wednesday night, you'd be thankful for what you saw this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise
    Everything is relative.

If you watched the guy at McNeese Wednesday night, you'd be thankful for what you saw this weekend.
    BOP did you think the right call was made I believe on Hicks? He stole 2nd and was safe but then they said he came off the bag. I seen him get the bag and I turned to tell a friend something and missed what happened after.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise
    Everything is relative.

I agree.

I didn't get to hear the post game interview with Coach. Did he comment at all on Solich. It looke to me as if he was throwing very well. I just hate to see a kids position in the rotation determined by a very poor officiating crew.

The FAU player blocked the base with his foot. When he moved his foot, Hicks went to put his foot on the base and the FAU player tagged him out.

15. Default Re: Pathetic umpiring?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunproud
    . the umpire behind the plate was absolutely one of the worst ball/strike umpires I have seen.
    That guy was calling first on Saturday afternoon. He didn't make very good calls there, either. Check out the discussion here.

Page 38 of 74 FirstFirst . 28 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 48 . LastLast

Thread Information