Page 30 of 74 FirstFirst . 20 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 40 . LastLast

Thread: The Book 2007 Ragin' Cajun Baseball

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Comments from a scout .

Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    I do indeed believe that we have a good team. But as a fan that is not very knowledgeable, I do have a question about how good we are. On paper, I see that we indeed only have three losses to our 11 wins. But, when one of those losses is to a team like Northwestern State, how good can we really be? Maybe NSU is better than I give them credit for, but my perception is that they are a team that we shouldn't lose to.

So was it just one of those rare hickups that all really good teams experience? Your 2 cents would be appreciated.

God Bless

GEAUX UL RAGIN CAJUNS!!!!!!!!!!
    I'll give you my two cents, for what that's worth.

WE have three losses, but two are two USM, one of the better teams in the south, on their field. We have one loss to NSU on their field. Even the Yankees/REdSox lose to the Royals/D-Rays sometimes. I am not disrespecting NSU by saying that we are that much better than them or that they are that much worse than us, just trying to make a point that in baseball, wierd things can happen sometimes. Its the same reason why a week before, we beat them 10-5. they aren't one run better than us and we aren't five runs better than them. like tony said, they guys were just trying too hard that night. Getting tied up like they did over the weekend probably frustrated them a good bit, and it was lingering on tuesday night.

I do indeed believe that we have a good team. But as a fan that is not very knowledgeable, I do have a question about how good we are. On paper, I see that we indeed only have three losses to our 11 wins. But, when one of those losses is to a team like Northwestern State, how good can we really be? Maybe NSU is better than I give them credit for, but my perception is that they are a team that we shouldn't lose to.

So was it just one of those rare hickups that all really good teams experience? Your 2 cents would be appreciated.

God Bless

NSU is not as bad as people may think. We were coming off atough series from the weekend. We were a couple hits away from taking 2 of 3 from southern miss and they beat alabama tuesday night. We only lost to nsu by one and their pitcher did a hell of a job coming after us. Our pitching and defense did their job its just that our bats were a little cold and the pitcher was on. This is a long and season and of course we are not going to win them all. Dropping a close one on the road to a decent ball club is not the end of the world by any means. hopefully the weekend series at home against south al we will regain our confidence at the plate. We also need to do a little better base running we have been getting thrown out alot stealing and picked off not paying attention. Now if we had lost to nsu at home and away we could get a little worried but splitting isnt great but its not horrible. Louisiana has so much baseball talent that even the smaller schools get quality players that could play at larger schools in other states. jmo

3. Default Re: Basketball scheduling

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun
    once again why are we the only louisiana team not on lsu baseball schedule?
    It was the fans of both teams who were acting like jackasses in the stands and making it not safe to attend the games. It's better to let that series cool off a bit before it really got out of hand.

Default Re: Basketball scheduling

Quote Originally Posted by LSUfan20
    It was the fans of both teams who were acting like jackasses in the stands and making it not safe to attend the games. It's better to let that series cool off a bit before it really got out of hand.
    No offense, but if it things cooled off any more, scientists would declare an end to global warming and begin predicting the next ice age.

5. UL Baseball Re: Comments from a scout .

God Bless

I will try. But in brief, yes . good teams do experience hiccups. I have never seen that this is not the case.

In baseball, you are going to lose to all manner of teams that you would feel are somewhat inferior. This is not basketball or football. Maybe the best thing to do is to illustrate by example.

Perhaps the best teams the Cajuns have fielded (at least the best postseason accomplishments) are the 1999 and 2000 editions. The 1999 team was one game away from earning a CWS berth and played the entire postseason on the road, first winning the Houston regional knocking off Houston and Texas . second losing 2/3 to Rice in the Super Regionals. During that regular season, the Cajuns had at least back-to-back losses on seven occasions, with the longest losing streak being four games. Some of the losses that season include @McNeese State (twice), @Lamar, Lamar, Iowa, @Northwestern State, and @Nicholls State. The Cajuns also did not win the conference tournament and finished second in the Sun Belt.

The 2000 season was the most successful season in Cajun history. Yet, the Cajuns had to work through slumps and bad losses that season as well. The Cajuns had at least back-to-back losses on three occasions, with the longest losing streak being six games. The Cajuns had a span where they lost 8 of 9 in the heart of the season. They also lost the Sun Belt title on the final weekend when they failed to win a single game at home against New Orleans (fans thought the world was ending). Some of the losses that season include @McNeese State, Lost 1/3 @SLU, and was swept by a weak UALR team on the road.

Let us also look at an extreme example . last year's national champion Oregon State. The Beavers lost consecutive games only three times and did not lose more than two consecutive games all season. But they also had a few of what you would consider bad losses. Oregon State lost on the road to a poor UC Davis team that only won 18 games last season . By the same 2-1 score as the other night I might add. They also lost on the road to a mediocre New Mexico state squad. In late April, Oregon State lost at home to a poor Portland squad that went 15-37 on the season and 3-18 in the Big West. They lost that game 20-13. And this was an Oregon State team that had solid pitching.

The bottom line is that it happens. And typically several times in a season. Even for the best clubs. They key is how they bounce back.

And BTW, Northwestern State is not a bad team. The Demons have played a difficult schedule thus far (more difficult than that of the Cajuns) and have now won three consecutive games (7-9 overall). On that schedule are single games against a good Louisville squad, @Southern Miss, @LSU, two vs. UL (home and home), and three road games against Houston (in which they won 2/3). Houston started well with a win over Baylor and a tough 3-2 loss to Texas A&M. They have struggled since and are 8-9, but they will be fine. The Cougars knocked off Lamar this week 7-1.

The bottom line is that I expect some losses this season against teams that are not quite the caliber of Northwestern State. Unless you have Greg Swindell and Roger Clemens in your starting rotation along with a few major leaguers in the lineup, it is bound to happen.

Brian

tony offered to make the game we play the wally pontiff memorial game to make sure that things stayed under control b/c nobody would get out of hand at a memorial game. He even offered to give lsu 2 home games to our 1 and offered half the gate of our home game and skip still would not do it. So will LSU cancel games with alabama when things get a little tense? i don't think so. That is the lamest excuse i have ever heard for not playing someone. Have you ever heard of extra security. Northside and stm almost started an all out riot, did they stop playing? NO just got extra security.

7. UL Baseball Re: Basketball scheduling

It never rose to the level of unsafe. You are right nothing in 2002 "really" got out of hand and there was no indication that future matchups would be anything other than good baseball.

Here is a LINK to the real feelings the day of the game.
    This was written before events were blown out of proportion.

Here is a LINK to the story on the UL-LSU series cancellation.
    This was written after events were blown out of proportion.

8. UL Baseball Ragin' Cajuns hope for return of the Bat Men

This year's Sun Belt Conference expansion leads to an earlier start to the league's baseball season, a fact that's hitting UL's squad right in the face this weekend.

Recently, hits have been hard to come by for the Ragin' Cajuns, who welcome long-time rival South Alabama to Moore Field at 6:30 p.m. today for the first of a three-game Sun Belt series.

The Cajuns (11-3) broke into a national poll last week, ranked 29th by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association, and proceeded to lose three of four road games for their first losses of the season.

The last two losses were 1-0 at Southern Mississippi on Sunday and 2-1 at Northwestern State on Tuesday, and UL had a total of seven hits - six singles and a Tim Santiago double - in the two games.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    It never rose to the level of unsafe. You are right nothing in 2002 "really" got out of hand and there was no indication that future matchups would be anything other than good baseball.

Here is a LINK to the real feelings the day of the game.
    This was written before events were blown out of proportion.

Here is a LINK to the story on the UL-LSU series cancellation.
    This was written after events were blown out of proportion.
    It's all a moot point. The teams will play again, beginning next season.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise
    It's all a moot point. The teams will play again, beginning next season.
    I am glad that we are playing LSU again. The truth is (as much as I hate to admit it) that we need them for RPI purposes. However, the real question is, is it going to be a home and home series, or is LSU going to mandate that we play them there and they will not return the trip?

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin
    I will try. But in brief, yes . good teams do experience hiccups. I have never seen that this is not the case.

In baseball, you are going to lose to all manner of teams that you would feel are somewhat inferior. This is not basketball or football. Maybe the best thing to do is to illustrate by example.

Perhaps the best teams the Cajuns have fielded (at least the best postseason accomplishments) are the 1999 and 2000 editions. The 1999 team was one game away from earning a CWS berth and played the entire postseason on the road, first winning the Houston regional knocking off Houston and Texas . second losing 2/3 to Rice in the Super Regionals. During that regular season, the Cajuns had at least back-to-back losses on seven occasions, with the longest losing streak being four games. Some of the losses that season include @McNeese State (twice), @Lamar, Lamar, Iowa, @Northwestern State, and @Nicholls State. The Cajuns also did not win the conference tournament and finished second in the Sun Belt.

The 2000 season was the most successful season in Cajun history. Yet, the Cajuns had to work through slumps and bad losses that season as well. The Cajuns had at least back-to-back losses on three occasions, with the longest losing streak being six games. The Cajuns had a span where they lost 8 of 9 in the heart of the season. They also lost the Sun Belt title on the final weekend when they failed to win a single game at home against New Orleans (fans thought the world was ending). Some of the losses that season include @McNeese State, Lost 1/3 @SLU, and was swept by a weak UALR team on the road.

Let us also look at an extreme example . last year's national champion Oregon State. The Beavers lost consecutive games only three times and did not lose more than two consecutive games all season. But they also had a few of what you would consider bad losses. Oregon State lost on the road to a poor UC Davis team that only won 18 games last season . By the same 2-1 score as the other night I might add. They also lost on the road to a mediocre New Mexico state squad. In late April, Oregon State lost at home to a poor Portland squad that went 15-37 on the season and 3-18 in the Big West. They lost that game 20-13. And this was an Oregon State team that had solid pitching.

The bottom line is that it happens. And typically several times in a season. Even for the best clubs. They key is how they bounce back.

And BTW, Northwestern State is not a bad team. The Demons have played a difficult schedule thus far (more difficult than that of the Cajuns) and have now won three consecutive games (7-9 overall). On that schedule are single games against a good Louisville squad, @Southern Miss, @LSU, two vs. UL (home and home), and three road games against Houston (in which they won 2/3). Houston started well with a win over Baylor and a tough 3-2 loss to Texas A&M. They have struggled since and are 8-9, but they will be fine. The Cougars knocked off Lamar this week 7-1.

The bottom line is that I expect some losses this season against teams that are not quite the caliber of Northwestern State. Unless you have Greg Swindell and Roger Clemens in your starting rotation along with a few major leaguers, it is bound to happen.

Brian

God, I have not heard or read Greg Swindell name in a loooong time.

12. Default Re: Basketball scheduling

Quote Originally Posted by cajunproud
    I am glad that we are playing LSU again. The truth is (as much as I hate to admit it) that we need them for RPI purposes. However, the real question is, is it going to be a home and home series, or is LSU going to mandate that we play them there and they will not return the trip?
    Jay is right it is a moot point, I just rail against the events of 2002 getting blown out of proportion as time goes by.

Anyway according to coach Robe "I heard it on the radio" we are going to go TO Tulane this year (sometime in April) and LSU next year.

I applaud coach Robe for taking the first steps back toward a series that never should have stopped in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    Jay is right it is a moot point, I just rail against the events of 2002 getting blown out of proportion as time goes by.

Anyway according to coach Robe "I heard it on the radio" we are going to go TO Tulane this year (sometime in April) and LSU next year.

I applaud coach Robe for taking the first steps back toward a series that never should have stopped in the first place.

I plan on going to the Tulane game this year.

I think we also need Tulane on the schedule for RPI purposes.

I also applaud Coach for taking the first step in re-scheduling Tulane and LSU. It just infuriates me that Tulane and LSU will not play us here. What happens if we beat them at their places on a regular basis, will they stop scheduling us again unless we agree to let them win.

This is so COOL Re: Basketball scheduling

Quote Originally Posted by cajunproud
    I plan on going to the Tulane game this year.

I think we also need Tulane on the schedule for RPI purposes.

I also applaud Coach for taking the first step in re-scheduling Tulane and LSU. It just infuriates me that Tulane and LSU will not play us here. What happens if we beat them at their places on a regular basis, will they stop scheduling us again unless we agree to let them win.
    I think in Tulane's case it was about needing the home games, and since their conference provides RPI they will not make road trips. I don't see this changing soon. As for the "Flagship", nobody has yet to figure out what is the real reason they decided to end the series, but baby steps are now in the works we will play at their place only in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Express
    I think in Tulane's case it was about needing the home games, and since their conference provides RPI they will not make road trips. I don't see this changing soon. As for the "Flagship", nobody has yet to figure out what is the real reason they decided to end the series, but baby steps are now in the works we will play at their place only in 2008.
    Laval ran the program into the ground quickly. LSU has not recruited the high caliber players it used to get. Also parity comes into to play. When LSU had its big streak, 89-00, it was the only game in town. Now the SEC and the rest of the state schools have made huge leaps and caught up to LSU in terms of recruiting and fan interest.

No one will see domination like that again.

Hopefully the new coach will improve the situation over the yr or two.

Page 30 of 74 FirstFirst . 20 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 40 . LastLast

Thread Information