Page 66 of 74 FirstFirst . 56 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 . LastLast

Thread: The Book 2007 Ragin' Cajun Baseball

1. UL Baseball Cajuns to face battered ASU

His team is in the national top 20 RPI-wise, they're on the cusp of breaking into several national polls and they sit atop the Sun Belt Conference race.

The opponent has a losing record overall and in the league, and is coming off being swept at home by a conference rival.

Taking things for granted? Not a chance, said UL baseball coach Tony Robichaux, whose squad hosts Arkansas State in a weekend Sun Belt series beginning tonight.

"What's good about this team is they don't play to their opponent," Robichaux said Thursday after the Cajuns wrapped up preparation for the three-game slate. "They've been able to take care of a lot of mid-week games that we couldn't win last year.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

2. UL Baseball Ragin' Cajuns blast three homers in beating ASU

'Twas an ill wind, indeed, for Arkansas State's baseball Indians Saturday.

The Moore Field wind helped blow UL catcher Jonathan Lucroy's fly ball over the left-field fence in the eighth inning, breaking a 7-7 tie.

Four batters later, the wind helped Ragin' Cajun outfielder Jefferies Tatford's towering shot down the right-field line stay fair for a three-run homer.

Suddenly, the Ragin' Cajuns had escaped with an 11-7 victory over the Indians, and now stand one win away from their third Sun Belt Conference sweep of the season.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald

3. UL Baseball UL scores 4 runs in 8th inning for 11-7 victory

Home runs by Jonathan Lucroy and Jefferies Tatford in the bottom of the eighth inning helped UL's baseball team snap a 7-7 tie and claim an 11-7 win over Arkansas State Saturday afternoon in the middle game of their Sun Belt Conference series at Moore Field.

The Cajuns (32-12, 15-5), hanging onto a two-game lead in the Sun Belt race, rallied from an early 4-1 deficit and took their second straight comeback win in the series. UL, now 19-1 at home this year, had taken an 11inning 6-5 victory on Friday in the series opener.

The Cajun squad will go for its third Sun Belt sweep of the season in today's 1:05 p.m. game.

Lucroy's 12th homer of the season came off losing pitcher Tim Egart (2-4) with one out in the eighth. After singles by Scott Hawkins and Matt Hicks, Tatford sent a drive down the right-field line that stayed fair and gave the Cajuns the four-run advantage.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald

UL Baseball Unacceptable

Sorry guys, I am in no way a fair-weather fan but after what I saw this past weekend these guys better start stepping it up. To go out and only score 2 runs in front of a home crowd against one of the worst teams in the Sun Belt is down right disgusting. You can say "hey, it's baseball" all you want, but this is not what gets a team success in the NCAA tournament. There should be no reason why the whole team should suffer because a few guys are in a slump, and you can't blame the pitchers for having trouble because they are getting NO run support. Like I said, I love the Cajuns but I have much higher expectations.

Default Re: Unacceptable

Like the softball team, we tend to play better against out-of-conference teams. Conference games are ALWAYS tougher because of familiarity, even when there's a clear talent disparity. It's not really an excuse, they should perform better, but the occurance isn't a huge mystery or anomaly, either. It happens to everybody.

6. UL Baseball ASU's Gates goes distance in 4-2 victory over ULMen

It's hard to imagine a worse position for a pitcher, knowing that he doesn't have relief help behind him and he's expected to pitch nine innings.

But Arkansas State's Nathan Gates stepped up to that challenge, turning in his best performance of the season, and because of that UL's baseball squad came up short in Sunday's attempt at a weekend sweep.

Gates, the last man standing in an injury-depleted ASU pitching rotation, threw a complete-game five-hitter, shutting out the Ragin' Cajuns over the final seven innings of a 4-2 Indian victory Sunday afternoon at Moore Field.

Gates (3-6) knew he wasn't getting much relief help in Sunday's final game of the Sun Belt Conference series, and didn't need it in giving up only two hits after the third inning.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald

Where is Tim Santiago ? I love ROBE but I do not know why he continues to play Bourque, Hanks, and Hatfield (i know he hit 3 home runs in 1 game but it was just that, 1 game). Long, Gisclair, and Santiago are all more powerfull and productive. The big 3 hitters just didn't get it done yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by 91tiger
    Where is Tim Santiago ? I love ROBE but I do not know why he continues to play Bourque, Hanks, and Hatfield (i know he hit 3 home runs in 1 game but it was just that, 1 game). Long, Gisclair, and Santiago are all more powerfull and productive. The big 3 hitters just didn't get it done yesterday.
    As far as Santiago, he hasn't hit this season and is a liability at 3rd. HICKS has been play well and is better defensively. William Long made more errors this weekend so Devon Bourque has played short because Alexander is also a liablity defensively. Alexander has hit well when he has been in the game. Bourque is not a good hitter but he is very selective and has the third highest OBP on the team.

I have no idea why Gisclair didn't start sat or sunday, he has been slumping a little lately but has been very consistent up till this point. I would agree that he needs to stay in the lineup.

On another note is it just me or is Logan very lazy in centerfield. I don't see the effort, and honestly I would rather see Gisclair in center than him. I know he has speed but he doesn't seem to hustle in the outfield. I understand that he is no Coker but sometimes it looks like he is not hustling in the outfield.

Devon has to play for this team to be successful! However maybe I am the only one that has noticed that Gisclair is swinging way harder now than when he was doing well.unless he changes he has no chance of being productive. Will long has not hit and can not field therefore he can't play! Hicks has been one of the most productive hitters in the past few weeks but at times he can be a liability in the field. Whoever said Hatfield shouldn't be playing have you been going to the games recently? What about lil Robe maybe it is time to put Tatford at first and go with Gisclair Logan and hatfield in the outfield. I did not make the game yesterday but watched on TV the ball that went over Logans head he should have caught.he is SCARED OF THE WALL! That is just what i think needs to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by ULforlife
    _ Sorry guys, I am in no way a fair-weather fan but after what I saw this past weekend these guys better start stepping it up. To go out and only score 2 runs in front of a home crowd against one of the worst teams in the Sun Belt is down right disgusting. You can say "hey, it's baseball" all you want, but this is not what gets a team success in the NCAA tournament. There should be no reason why the whole team should suffer because a few guys are in a slump, and you can't blame the pitchers for having trouble because they are getting NO run support. Like I said, I love the Cajuns but I have much higher expectations. _
    It's not so much that they aren't getting run support, as evidenced in our 11 to 7 victory on saturday. It's the fact that we are too inconsistent defensively and that we continue to strike out making average pitchers look like Cy young award candidates. The constant moving in and out of the rotation for some players is making it hard for them to be consistent. Our short stops have had some serious fielding errors as of late too. This team has a consistency problem. Plus the fact that we don't have a consistent third starter is a big problem as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ULforlife
    Sorry guys, I am in no way a fair-weather fan but after what I saw this past weekend these guys better start stepping it up. To go out and only score 2 runs in front of a home crowd against one of the worst teams in the Sun Belt is down right disgusting. You can say "hey, it's baseball" all you want, but this is not what gets a team success in the NCAA tournament. There should be no reason why the whole team should suffer because a few guys are in a slump, and you can't blame the pitchers for having trouble because they are getting NO run support. Like I said, I love the Cajuns but I have much higher expectations.
    Do you understand how difficult it is on any level to beat a team three times in a row?

Be content with the series win and the knowlege that it's only the second loss at the Tigue all season.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroCajun
    _ Do you understand how difficult it is on any level to beat a team three times in a row?

Be content with the series win and the knowlege that it's only the second loss at the Tigue all season. _

Quote Originally Posted by AstroCajun
    Do you understand how difficult it is on any level to beat a team three times in a row?

Be content with the series win and the knowlege that it's only the second loss at the Tigue all season.
    The team played lazy all three games and could have lost all three games if Arkansas State didn’t have the worst 7th inning on pitching that I have seen in a long time. That being said we took the series we are on top of the Sunbelt and I fully expect the team to be tuff in the postseason (if they stop allowing singles to be stretched into doubles, stop lollygagging it to first, and play with a little enthusiasm)

yeah but against ASU, comeone we can't afford not to sweep these guys. And I think you could figure that out by tony's comment of 2 of 3 not acceptable "this weekend" is what I remember him saying.

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Unacceptable

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns67
    _ The team played lazy all three games and could have lost all three games if Arkansas State didn’t have the worst 7th inning on pitching that I have seen in a long time. That being said we took the series we are on top of the Sunbelt and I fully expect the team to be tuff in the postseason (if they stop allowing singles to be stretched into doubles, stop lollygagging it to first, and play with a little enthusiasm) _

Another big problem is our strikeout ratio. Way too high. You cannot put pressure on the other team without putting the ball in play

Page 66 of 74 FirstFirst . 56 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 . LastLast

Thread Information