Page 64 of 74 FirstFirst . 54 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 . LastLast

Thread: The Book 2007 Ragin' Cajun Baseball

1. UL Baseball Re: UL VS ASU 9-6 asu

#9 Baseball Comes From Behind To Sweep Ragin' Cajuns 9-6

Matt Spencer delivers big blow in victory

TEMPE, Ariz. - Thanks to a timely hit by Matt Spencer, the Sun Devils were able to come-from-behind to sweep Louisiana-Lafayette on Sunday, winning 9-6. The win improves ASU to 32-10 on the year.

The contest was shaping up to be a pitcher's duel, as both clubs swapped zeroes through the first four innings. Andrew Romine brought home the game's first run in the bottom of the fifth, singling home Ryan Sontag to give ASU a 1-0 lead. After the Devils loaded the bases with two away, Brett Wallace hit a rocket into the right field gap, scoring all three runs and putting the Devils up 4-0.

The lead did not last long, as the Ragin' Cajuns broke through against starter Brian Flores in the sixth. They scored five times off Flores, including a three-run homer that put Louisiana-Lafayette up 5-4. After walking the next hitter, Flores gave way to Ike Davis, who struck out the first batter he faced to end the inning.

The Devils loaded the bases again with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, with Matt Spencer at bat. On a two-two count, Ike Davis broke home from third base. The throw was not close, giving Davis a steal of home and knotting the game at 5-5.

The Cajuns struck again in the top of the seventh, this time pushing a run across off of Jason Jarvis to pull back ahead at 6-5.

The rest of the story

2. UL Baseball Ragin' Cajuns roasted at ASU

Arizona State's ninth-ranked Sun Devils finished off a three-game home sweep of UL's baseball team Sunday, but it wasn't easy.

In fact, ASU had to rally from a 6-5 deficit in the bottom of the eighth inning to take a 9-6 victory. The drama unfolded after the visiting Ragin' Cajuns had comeback from an early 4-0 deficit.

"They did a lot of little things and they got some big hits," said UL coach Tony Robichaux of the Sun Devils (32-10). "That's why they're the club they are, and that's what we have to do if we expect to play at that level."

The Cajuns (29-12), who lost by 8-2 and 11-8 scores in late games Friday and Saturday, plated five runs in the sixth inning off ASU starter Brian Flores to take a 5-4 lead. Jefferies Tatford had the biggest blow with a three-run homer after RBI hits by Kolin Hatfield and Scott Hawkins.

ASU, however, got to the Cajun bullpen in the eighth, with Matt Spencer's two-run single snapping a 6-all tie and giving the Sun Devils the lead for good.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns roasted at ASU

RPI still at ~17 according to Boyd's World. I figured all along that we'd probably not host, but would hopefully be one of the top #2's at a regional nearby. That being said, picking up one or two this weekend would have been great, but i think that our boys probably still learned a lot about the game and themselves this weekend. Its not like i think that Buddy and Hunter are the Top 1/2 punch in the nation, but those two are good, and ASU did to them what they've done to everyone this season. Its safe to say that ASU will bang their way pretty deep into the postseason this year.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Ragin Rally can't overcome 10 run lead

Quote Originally Posted by Mineshaft
    _ College Football-None

College Basketball-None

College Baseball-None

If you dont understand i will post again. _
    I don't understand. did you go to college? do you support that school? Do you even like sports? For one that isn't a fan of any school, it makes me curious why you're such an anti-fan/anti-supporter of UL.

How about you let me know what it will take to put you in a set of season tickets for UL football this season.

5. UL Baseball Re: Ragin' Cajuns roasted at ASU

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux
    RPI still at ~17 according to Boyd's World. I figured all along that we'd probably not host, but would hopefully be one of the top #2's at a regional nearby. That being said, picking up one or two this weekend would have been great, but i think that our boys probably still learned a lot about the game and themselves this weekend. Its not like i think that Buddy and Hunter are the Top 1/2 punch in the nation, but those two are good, and ASU did to them what they've done to everyone this season. Its safe to say that ASU will bang their way pretty deep into the postseason this year.
    The real Adjusted RPI is 21. The Base RPI is 23.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin
    _ The real Adjusted RPI is 21. The Base RPI is 23. _
    guess I looked at it wrong. Nonetheless, one would think that SHOULD still get us a solid #2 seeding.

_ guess I looked at it wrong. Nonetheless, one would think that SHOULD still get us a solid #2 seeding. _
    As long as we don't fall apart down the stretch.

We have been hitting the ball very poorly as of late and our pitching hasn't been that great either. We still have to go on the road to UNO and ULM in conference, and you know our poor track record in the conference tournament.

I think the game Tuesday against Lamar will be a real test of character and will let us know if this team has what it takes to make a run in the post season.

8. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns roasted at ASU

Quote Originally Posted by cajunproud
    _ As long as we don't fall apart down the stretch.

We have been hitting the ball very poorly as of late and our pitching hasn't been that great either. We still have to go on the road to UNO and ULM in conference, and you know our poor track record in the conference tournament.

I think the game Tuesday against Lamar will be a real test of character and will let us know if this team has what it takes to make a run in the post season. _
    My crackpot analysis showed that although the Cajuns were outscored 28-16 over the weekend, they were only out hit 34-31. Timely hitting and a pitch here or there to avoid further damage in an inning could have changed this past weekend significantly. The first hand experience of championship caliber college baseball will hopefully prepare us to execute better in game changing situations.

Quote Originally Posted by HTownCajunII
    _ My crackpot analysis showed that although the Cajuns were outscored 28-16 over the weekend, they were only out hit 34-31. Timely hitting and a pitch here or there to avoid further damage in an inning could have changed this past weekend significantly. The first hand experience of championship caliber college baseball will hopefully prepare us to execute better in game changing situations. _
    Agreed. I think we need series like this every year, even if it means going on the road.

One stat that I find very disturbing is that in our last 8 games and we have 77 strikeouts. That's 9.6 per game. Our assistant coach, who is supposed to be a hitting guru, needs to go back to the drawing board to get us back on track.

10. UL Baseball Re: Ragin' Cajuns roasted at ASU

guess I looked at it wrong. Nonetheless, one would think that SHOULD still get us a solid #2 seeding.
    You were not looking at it wrong. You were just looking at Boyd's numbers.

If the season ended today, the Cajuns would be a #2 seed. But not a strong #2 seed. The Cajuns are going to get dinged in the Top25/Top50 RPI department.

Brian

It was just aggravating this whole weekend, because everytime you would hear jay say "oh wow were did that pitch miss", the very next pitch was for a RBI base hit. I wonder how many runs they scored, on what should have been called third strikes (in jay's opinion)?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan79
    _ It was just aggravating this whole weekend, because everytime you would hear jay say "oh wow were did that pitch miss", the very next pitch was for a RBI base hit. I wonder how many runs they scored, on what should have been called third strikes (in jay's opinion)? _
    You're right. That was frustrating. But as bad as the umpiring was behind the plate, the umps weren't striking out for us when we had runners in scoring position.

We need to put this weekend behind us and re-focus for the stretch run.

It's very rare that I call someone out like this, but you people need to realize something about why Mineshaft will never answer that question honestly

He is either:
    1.) a fan of that school whose name shall not be mentioned. If he admits to that, then all our criticisms of him are immediately validated
    2.) a fan of some other school. If he admits to this, our criticism is validated, though not with as much fervor as in #1.
    3.) He truly is a fan of no school as he says. Now, if he admits that this is indeed the case and stands by it, then in accord with his answer in this thread, he would be telling the truth. However, this option is almost worse than #1 and #2. I say that because in #1 and #2, there is some semblance of a reason for his unfettered hatred. Howver, in option #3, it is COMPLETELY unreasonable and he is re-classified from "somewhat" insane to "completely and clinically" insane.

4.) I wonder how much denial he is in right now, and/or how much he is squirming in his pants.

Peace and God Bless

GEAUX UL RAGIN CAJUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    _ It's very rare that I call someone out like this, but you people need to realize something about why Mineshaft will never answer that question honestly

He is either:
    1.) a fan of that school whose name shall not be mentioned. If he admits to that, then all our criticisms of him are immediately validated
    2.) a fan of some other school. If he admits to this, our criticism is validated, though not with as much fervor as in #1.
    3.) He truly is a fan of no school as he says. Now, if he admits that this is indeed the case and stands by it, then in accord with his answer in this thread, he would be telling the truth. However, this option is almost worse than #1 and #2. I say that because in #1 and #2, there is some semblance of a reason for his unfettered hatred. Howver, in option #3, it is COMPLETELY unreasonable and he is re-classified from "somewhat" insane to "completely and clinically" insane.

4.) I wonder how much denial he is in right now, and/or how much he is squirming in his pants.

Peace and God Bless

GEAUX UL RAGIN CAJUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!! _
    Whose on first? No whose on second? Well who is on third?

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Mineshaft
    _ College Football-None

College Basketball-None

College Baseball-None

If you dont understand i will post again. _
    Posting again will not make me understand why you monitor this forum only to fire off simple-minded, antagonistic one-liners. It is bizzare even if you would have admitted to a fanship with some other school. Now, it is totally absurd. I do pity you if it makes you feel any better.

Page 64 of 74 FirstFirst . 54 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 . LastLast

Thread Information