Page 42 of 74 FirstFirst . 32 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 52 . LastLast

Thread: The Book 2007 Ragin' Cajun Baseball

Default Re: Sun Belt Pitcher of the Week?

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin
    BOP is reporting that an FIU pitcher won the Sun Belt Conference Pitcher of the Week this past week. Assumably this is Corey Polizzano.

OK, here is the bottom line .

Polizzano threw a fine game against a very good hitting Troy club. He went 8 innings, yielding six hits and one earned run. However, he did get outstanding run support early (it was 8-0 before Troy came to bat in the 4th inning), which makes it easier to pitch. He was not so good in the control department yielding six walks and two wild pitches. He had 4 strikeouts. This was also his only outing of the week. He threw 1.1 innings of middle relief against Western Kentucky last Sunday, yielding 4 earned runs on three hits and three walks.

Meanwhile, Farquhar makes *four* appearances last week and collects two wins. He throws 9.1 IP of scoreless ball, yields six hits, records 8 strikeouts and walks three. Mostly against what I would argue is the best hitting club in the Sun Belt. They are at least on par with Troy. But more importantly, nearly all of those innings were in pressure situations. Six of those innings came on Sunday when Farquhar had to stop FAU cold (which he did). This was a 2-2 game until the 8th inning. He also had to close out a tight Friday night contest (tied in the 8th at 2). Farquhar also had to do it with less recovery time. Going six innings on a Sunday after closing the Friday night contest is no small feat. He did all of this after throwing on Tuesday and Wednesday midweek.

I am sorry . but the Sun Belt missed this one badly in my opinion. If you want to give Polizzano the Most Improved Award for the week, I can support that. But Danny Farquhar is the Pitcher of the Week.

Brian
    Agreed.

I am sorry . but the Sun Belt missed this one badly in my opinion. If you want to give Polizzano the Most Improved Award for the week, I can support that. But Danny Farquhar is the Pitcher of the Week.

Brian
    I think you should write the Sun Belt Conference, they seem to not be on top of things all the time.

3. UL Baseball Re: Sun Belt Pitcher of the Week?

Quote Originally Posted by ULforlife
    I think you should write the Sun Belt Conference, they seem to not be on top of things all the time.
    I was informed by one of the Team Dads, who is on top of such matters, that it is the responsibility of the school to nominate players. I would assume this responsibility falls to the Baseball SID. But I could be wrong.

Brian

I was informed by one of the Team Dads, who is on top of such matters, that it is the responsibility of the school to nominate players. I would assume this responsibility falls to the Baseball SID. But I could be wrong.

Brian
    Farquhar and Logan were the nominees this week. Baseball SID's do the voting.

Weill it sounds like this guy was deserving too. Did the SBC miss it? Yes I think so. Did they miss it badly? No. They both had great weekends. You have to remember, the SBC is still trying to promote its entire league. When members of the press read the weekly award winners, the more parity you have, the better the overall appearance of the talent in the sunbelt, as opposed to one guy or one team having all the talent. I'm sure farquar will get his fair share of awards this season. I'm not worried.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Brian
    Brian,

In any way, other than Jay stating that the SIDs are the voters, is this a political thing where they want to "spread the wealth"? Or, does this usually follow the line that the most deserving does get the nod? In other words, is this unusual (in the Sunbelt)?

7. UL Baseball Re: Sun Belt Pitcher of the Week?

Quote Originally Posted by Kal
    Weill it sounds like this guy was deserving too. Did the SBC miss it? Yes I think so. Did they miss it badly? No.
    Well, we disagree here . for all of the reasons I outlined earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal
    They both had great weekends. You have to remember, the SBC is still trying to promote its entire league. When members of the press read the weekly award winners, the more parity you have, the better the overall appearance of the talent in the sunbelt, as opposed to one guy or one team having all the talent. I'm sure farquar will get his fair share of awards this season. I'm not worried.
    It sounds to me like the SBC proper does not have any role here. It is the Baseball SIDs from the respective schools that decide the winner.

In any event, with respect to your comment on parity . how many combined Pitcher of the Week and Player of the Week awards do you think the Cajuns have been awarded this season (seven weeks of awards)?

Brian

8. UL Baseball Re: Sun Belt Pitcher of the Week?

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More
    Brian,

In any way, other than Jay stating that the SIDs are the voters, is this a political thing where they want to "spread the wealth"? Or, does this usually follow the line that the most deserving does get the nod? In other words, is this unusual (in the Sunbelt)?
    I think that is giving the Baseball SIDs too much credit (politcial/spread the wealth). I doubt they spend much time on this. I know in some instances nominations were omitted due to forgetfulness.

Brian

9. Default Re: Starter agains La. Tech/

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux
    Justin Robicheaux, according to Tony on the post game show yesterday.
    Hey can someone tell me if there is a baseball game on Friday nite. We're going to be in town and would love to see one while we are there.

Default Re: UL vs LA Tech

Who got the win last night?

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: UL vs LA Tech

Quote Originally Posted by DeadRed
    <<<< Originally Provided by Zeebart21
    Da.mn, Louisiana holds on for an 11-6 victory! Lil Robe staked us to an 8-0 lead only to have an epic meltdown bring it to 8-6 in the top of 9th. Cajun bats bring it, scoring 3 more for the final!
    Nice!
    Z.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You need to pull your nose out of the lawbooks after 6 pm, son! Lil Robe was credited w/ the win, I believe!

12. Default Re: UL vs LA Tech

Quote Originally Posted by DeadRed
    Robichaux.

He pitched 3 innings of shut out ball.

13. UL Baseball . . . still learning the perfect game

A week ago I wondered how a reliever can be picked the winner when he comes in with a multiple run lead and the lead diminishes while on the mound. Especially when he pitches roughly 2/3 the innings of the starter. . . . Here was an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by HTownCajunII
    A starting pitcher must complete 5 full innings to get a win. If I remember correctly, Wilborn left with two outs in the 5th, one out shy of qualifying for the W. The win then falls to Lil Robe, who pitched well enough to deserve his W.
    Now this week I was wondering how a 3 inning pitcher gets the win?

This morning I asked Stevie P to explain the difference on how game winners were picked . . . after all "baseball is the perfect game"

This week is almost the opposite of last week wherein Justin starts, pitches shut out ball but only pitches 3 innings and gets the win.

Steve's answer was and I am condensing and paraphrasing; if the number of innings to be pitched is pre-announced, a pitcher who pitches only one inning can get the win.
    Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise
    The only caveat to the five inning rule is if the coach, before the game, designates that the starter will only go a set number of innings. Farquhar got a few wins last year starting mid week and pitching just three innings, because it was decided before the game that he would go only three.

14. Default Re: Starter agains La. Tech/

Quote Originally Posted by Gbbaseball7
    Hey can someone tell me if there is a baseball game on Friday nite. We're going to be in town and would love to see one while we are there.
    The Cajuns are in Miami for FIU this weekend, so no go for you.

This is so COOL Re: Starter agains La. Tech/

Quote Originally Posted by Gbbaseball7
    Game is out of town at FIU. The Cajun Football banquet will be held Friday night, tickets are available at Lafayette Motors in advance, no walk up sales. Some notable former Cajuns will include Ike Taylor of the Pittsburg Steelers, and Brian Mitchell now retired.

Page 42 of 74 FirstFirst . 32 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 52 . LastLast

Thread Information