Page 41 of 74 FirstFirst . 31 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 51 . LastLast

Thread: The Book 2007 Ragin' Cajun Baseball

Default Re: Starter against La. Tech/

Quote Originally Posted by ULforlife
    Buddy Glass is in one of my classes (yeah you heard right), and he told me today that Justin Robicheaux is gonna start.

If he and coach are saying that I'm guessing that's what's going down. I think this is going to be another good win under our (their) belts.
    Let me know if he misses class.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04
    Let me know if he misses class.
    LOL!! thats just wrong!!!

Z.

3. Default Re: Starter against La. Tech/

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21
    LOL!! thats just wrong!!!

Z.
    LOL That's just right!

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    LOL That's just right!
    Could be Turbine, just gotta figure the young man has too much riding on his future to miss classes!!!!

Now people like me and Dad04I figure we might have missed a few classes in our time!!!

Z.

5. Default Re: Starter against La. Tech/

Could be Turbine, just gotta figure the young man has too much riding on his future to miss classes!!!!

Now people like me and Dad04I figure we might have missed a few classes in our time!!!

Z.
    Except for once (HS) my dad caught me every time I skipped.

Then
    Now :o

Sounds like y'all are workin' my boys over.be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin
    not a pretty site, JL. We will respect your wishes, at least until the final tally!

Z.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin
    It's called "separation". I hope it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun
    It's called "separation". I hope it lasts.
    Da.mn, Louisiana holds on for an 11-6 victory! Lil Robe staked us to an 8-0 lead only to have an epic meltdown bring it to 8-6 in the top of 9th. Cajun bats bring it, scoring 3 more for the final!

Nice!

Z.

10. Default Re: Starter against La. Tech/

Good win boys. Keep it going.

11. UL Baseball Re: UL vs LA Tech

Cajuns Extend Winning Streak to Six Games with 11-6 Win

The Ragin’ Cajuns jumped out to an early 8-0 lead, but had to hold on in the late innings for the victory.

RUSTON, La.-Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns scored eight runs in the first four innings, but needed three runs in the final inning to preserve a 11-6 victory over in-state rival Louisiana Tech on Tuesday night at J.C. Love Field in Ruston.

The Ragin’ Cajuns (21-5) came out swinging on the night. The Cajuns collected double-digit hits for the 15th time this season. Eight of the nine UL batters had a hit in the game with five of the Cajuns’ starters collecting multiple hits in the game.

The Cajuns collected three homeruns on the night. Jefferies Tatford and William Long had solo homeruns in the first and second innings respectively and Scott Hawkins capped a three-run ninth inning with a two-run shot.

Jonathan Lucroy finished the night 4-for-5 to pace the Cajuns, while Josh Logan, Xavier Alexander, Devery Van De Keere and Nolan Gisclair all collecting multiple hits on the night.

Justin Robichaux (3-0) got his first collegiate start on the mound for the Cajuns. The true freshman worked 3.0 scoreless innings. He scattered four hits on the night – all singles. He induced eight fly balls and four groundouts.

Matt Pilgreen entered the game in relief of Robichaux. He surrendered just two hits in 2.0 innings, but allowed a solo homerun in the fourth inning.

Relief pitcher Gregory Harmon picked up his first save of the season. The sophomore retired all five batters he faced to secure the victory for the Ragin’ Cajuns.

The Cajuns got some two-out magic in the first inning. After a pair of ground balls recorded the first two outs of the inning, Tatford stepped to the plate and hit his fourth homerun of the season. The solo shot to right centerfield put the Cajuns ahead 1-0. Back-to-back doubles by Lucroy and Van De Keere plated another runner and gave the Ragin’ Cajuns a quick 2-0 edge over the Bulldogs.

In the second, UL mirrored their first inning efforts. After the first two batters were retired, Long stepped to the plate. The freshman lifted the first pitch he saw over the right centerfield wall, hitting the scoreboard. The homerun was his first homerun of his Cajuns’ career. Logan followed with a single to left field to extend the inning. Alexander extended his team-leading hitting streak to 21 games as he doubled to left centerfield. The double plated Logan from first and tied the junior infielder for the second longest hitting streak in school history.

The Cajuns extended their lead in the top of the third inning. A fielder’s choice placed Van De Keere on first base. Van De Keere stole second to give the Cajuns a runner in scoring position. After the second out of the inning, Kolin Hatfield singled through the left side of the inning to score Van De Keere from second. After two and a half innings of play UL led 5-0.

In the fourth inning the Cajuns continued to swing the bats well. Logan led off the inning with a single to right field. The speedy Logan stole second base to give the Cajuns a runner in scoring position. After an out, Tatford was intentionally walked to set up a double play. Lucroy collected his third hit of the evening as he singled through the left side of the infield. The single scored Logan from second. A groundout advanced Tatford and Lucroy one base. Gisclair dropped a double into left field to plate the two runners and extend the Cajuns lead to 8-0.

In the Tech half of the fourth inning, the Bulldogs broke onto the scoreboard. Louisiana Tech’s Brian Rike hit his NCAA leading 16th homerun of the season. He lifted a Matt Pilgreen pitch over the right centerfield wall, over a train passing behind the right field wall.

Andrew Laughter entered the game in relief of Pilgreen in the bottom of the sixth inning. He struck out the first batter he faced, before surrendering a double. He induced a fly ball for the second out of the inning. The next batter hit the ball towards third base and managed to reach safely because of an errant throw by the Cajuns. The error allowed the runner score from second base and cut the UL lead to 8-2.

In the seventh, the Bulldogs cut the Cajuns lead in half. With one out, Louisiana Tech used back to back singles to get a pair of baserunners. A groundout advanced the runners into scoring position. After an intentional walk, the Bulldogs used a single up the middle to plate a pair of runners. A strikeout ended the inning, but Louisiana Tech cut the Cajuns lead to 8-4.

The Bulldogs trimmed the UL lead to just a pair in the eighth inning. A single and a hit batter started the inning for La. Tech giving the home team a pair of runners. A fly ball recorded the first out of the inning, but a double to left center allowed the first run of the inning to score. With runners on second and third, Laughter worked the count full, but threw a ball low and inside to walk the bases loaded. Harmon entered the game in the save situation. A sacrifice fly recorded the second out, but also allowed the second run of the inning to score. A ground out ended the inning, but after eight complete innings Louisiana Tech had cut the Cajuns’ lead to just two at 8-6.

In the top of the ninth, the Cajuns added some insurance runs to push their lead to five runs. Lucroy led off the inning with his fourth hit of the night. Van De Keere attempted to lay down the sacrifice bunt, but managed to push the ball past the charging pitcher and first baseman for a bunt single. A fielder’s choice left the Cajuns with runners on the corners. A sacrifice fly plated the first runner of the inning. Hawkins entered the game as a pinch hitter with two outs. He drove a 1-1 pitch over the left centerfield wall to score a pair of runners and push the Cajuns lead to 11-6.

Harmon retired the Bulldogs in order in the bottom of the ninth, striking out the final batter he faced to secure the win for the Cajuns.

The Ragin’ Cajuns will continue their road swing as they head to Miami to take on Sun Belt Conference opponent Florida International in a three-game series.

LOUISIANA SI

12. UL Baseball Sun Belt Pitcher of the Week?

BOP is reporting that an FIU pitcher won the Sun Belt Conference Pitcher of the Week this past week. Assumably this is Corey Polizzano.

OK, here is the bottom line .

Polizzano threw a fine game against a very good hitting Troy club. He went 8 innings, yielding six hits and one earned run. However, he did get outstanding run support early (it was 8-0 before Troy came to bat in the 4th inning), which makes it easier to pitch. He was not so good in the control department yielding six walks and two wild pitches. He had 4 strikeouts. This was also his only outing of the week. He threw 1.1 innings of middle relief against Western Kentucky last Sunday, yielding 4 earned runs on three hits and three walks.

Meanwhile, Farquhar makes *four* appearances last week and collects two wins. He throws 9.1 IP of scoreless ball, yields six hits, records 8 strikeouts and walks three. Mostly against what I would argue is the best hitting club in the Sun Belt. They are at least on par with Troy. But more importantly, nearly all of those innings were in pressure situations. Six of those innings came on Sunday when Farquhar had to stop FAU cold (which he did). This was a 2-2 game until the 8th inning. He also had to close out a tight Friday night contest (tied in the 8th at 2). Farquhar also had to do it with less recovery time. Going six innings on a Sunday after closing the Friday night contest is no small feat. He did all of this after throwing on Tuesday and Wednesday midweek.

I am sorry . but the Sun Belt missed this one badly in my opinion. If you want to give Polizzano the Most Improved Award for the week, I can support that. But Danny Farquhar is the Pitcher of the Week.

Brian

13. UL Baseball UL baseball holds off Tech rally to win 11-6

Eight runs in the first four innings almost wasn't enough, but UL's baseball team came up with some insurance in the ninth inning to insure itself of a season sweep over in-state rival La. Tech Wednesday night.

The Ragin' Cajuns scored in each of the first four innings, and Scott Hawkins launched a pinch-hit two-run homer in the top of the ninth inning to insure an 11-6 win over the Bulldogs at Tech's J. C. Love Field.

UL (21-5), winners of six in a row heading into this weekend's Sun Belt Conference road series at Florida International, had taken a 5-1 pitcher's duel win over the Bulldogs back on Feb. 27 at Moore Field.

This time, the Cajuns scored in each of the first four innings and led 8-0 before the Bulldogs (19-13) managed to score. But the host 'Dogs bit into the margin and got as close as 8-6 in the eighth inning before reliever Gregory Harmon worked out of a jam and retired the side in order in the ninth.

"He came in and did an excellent job," said Cajun coach Tony Robichaux. "There was a lot of pressure on him in that situation and being on the road and he got it done. It was good for him and good for us because we're going to need him."

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Da.mn, Louisiana holds on for an 11-6 victory! Lil Robe staked us to an 8-0 lead only to have an epic meltdown bring it to 8-6 in the top of 9th. Cajun bats bring it, scoring 3 more for the final!

Nice!

Z.
    And then had time for cafes latte all around at the Spunky Monkey before heading out of Rustin.

Keepin' em separated.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun
    And then had time for cafes latte all around at the Spunky Monkey before heading out of Rustin.

Keepin' em separated.
    the Frothy Monkey!!!!

LOL!

Z.

Page 41 of 74 FirstFirst . 31 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 51 . LastLast

Thread Information