Page 37 of 74 FirstFirst . 27 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 47 . LastLast

Thread: The Book 2007 Ragin' Cajun Baseball

1. UL Baseball Big inning lifts Ragin' Cajuns

Speed kills. So does quality pitching.

UL's baseball team got the former from center fielder Josh Logan and the latter from the one-two combination of Buddy Glass and Danny Farquhar, and the result was a 5-2 win over Florida Atlantic on Friday at M.L. "Tigue" Moore Field in the opener of their Sun Belt Conference series.

Logan tripled and scored in the first, doubled and scored in the third and singled in the top of the eighth before scoring a tie-breaking run on Jefferies Tatford's single up the middle.

"If I get on base, those other guys are going to bring me in," Logan said. "As long as we keep doing that and stick to our game plan, we're going to be all right."

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

2. Default Re: Big inning lifts Ragin' Cajuns

Sounded fun on the radio. I wish I could've been there.

By the way, I've never heard any sportscasters as excited for a bunt as I did last night when I could barely understand Jay and Steve when Nolan put down that bunt in the 8th.

3. UL Baseball Sunday at the Tigue vs FAU

I would expect FAU Coach Kevin Cooney to go with righthander Justin Phillabaum (1-1, 4.91, .282 OBA, 22 IP, 28 K, 8 BB) today. Phillabaum had a respectable outing against Troy last Saturday (5.1 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 5 K, 2 BB), but did not get much help defensively and took the loss. Phillabaum has a mid to upper 80's fastball with good movement (run and sink) along with a decent curve in the low 70's. He was taken in the 24th round of the '05 draft by the Yankees.

Since Chris Salberg did not throw last night, he should be the first guy out of the pen for Coach Cooney. Which may play into the favor of the Cajuns as Salberg is a lefty. However, Salberg is a different type of pitcher than the soft tossing Joel Schmal. Salberg throws a fastball, breaking ball, and changeup. He also likes to throw inside and will hit batters. Salberg was taken in the 22nd round of last season's draft by the Orioles.

The Cajuns have Pilgreen available for today, as he was only warming in the pen last night. But the best case scenario would be for Moody to chew up innings and save Pilgreen for Sunday. If the Cajuns have the lead in the ninth, I would expect to see Farquhar again.

Brian

Default Re: Today's Game

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin
    I would expect FAU Coach Kevin Cooney to go with righthander Justin Phillabaum (1-1, 4.91, .282 OBA, 22 IP, 28 K, 8 BB) today. Phillabaum had a respectable outing against Troy last Saturday (5.1 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 5 K, 2 BB), but did not get much help defensively and took the loss. Phillabaum has a mid to upper 80's fastball with good movement (run and sink) along with a decent curve in the low 70's. He was taken in the 24th round of the '05 draft by the Yankees.

Since Chris Salberg did not throw last night, he should be the first guy out of the pen for Coach Cooney. Which may play into the favor of the Cajuns as Salberg is a lefty. However, Salberg is a different type of pitcher than the soft tossing Joel Schmal. Salberg throws a fastball, breaking ball, and changeup. He also likes to throw inside and will hit batters. Salberg was taken in the 22nd round of last season's draft by the Orioles.

The Cajuns have Pilgreen available for today, as he was only warming in the pen last night. But the best case scenario would be for Moody to chew up innings and save Pilgreen for Sunday. If the Cajuns have the lead in the ninth, I would expect to see Farquhar again.

Brian
    Moody had a mouthful of innings pitching a great game, backed up by Pilgreen. Another great team win.

5. UL Baseball Re: Today's Game

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04
    Moody had a mouthful of innings pitching a great game, backed up by Pilgreen. Another great team win.
    Do you think that Coach Cooney has figured out that the Cajuns hit lefties? :-)

The pitching situation looks good for tomorrow. Laughter and Farquhar will be available. Coach Robichaux can either go with Solich or Robichaux to start and the other can provide some innings if needed. He may try the soft lefty after Moody's success today (I did not hear the postgame show, so I do not know if the starter tomorrow was addressed).

Meanwhile, the Cajuns have shelled two of the top Owl relievers, both lefties. Both can still throw some tomorrow. . But the Cajuns have seen their stuff and have had success the first time around. Salberg will also be available (a lefty). Coach Kevin Cooney may stick with Brandon Cooney for the Sunday start and then have Salberg out of the pen. But Cooney has struggled with his control and has been hit hard this season. The Cajuns can work some walks if they are patient and will also get some good fastballs to hit. Maybe Cooney is saving Salberg for the start.

Would it not be interesting if Justin Robichaux starts for Coach Tony Robichaux and Brandon Cooney starts for Coach Kevin Cooney (no relation) tomorrow?

Brian

6. UL Baseball Re: Today's Game

Picking up that two spot in the eighth was nice as it gave the Cajuns the luxury in sticking with Pilgreen, instead of using Farquhar again.

The bullpen with Pilgreen, Laughter, and Farquhar is looking solid.

Brian

The pitching situation looks good for tomorrow. Laughter and Farquhar will be available. Coach Robichaux can either go with Solich or Robichaux to start and the other can provide some innings if needed. He may try the soft lefty after Moody's success today (I did not hear the postgame show, so I do not know if the starter tomorrow was addressed).

Meanwhile, the Cajuns have shelled the two top Owl relievers (Schmal and Salberg), both lefties. Both can still throw some tomorrow. But the Cajuns have seen their stuff and have had success the first time around. I would guess that Coach Kevin Cooney sticks with Brandon Cooney for the Sunday start. But Cooney has struggled with his control and has been hit hard this season. The Cajuns can work some walks if they are patient and will also get some good fastballs to hit.

Would it not be interesting if Justin Robichaux starts for Coach Tony Robichaux and Brandon Cooney starts for Coach Kevin Cooney (no relation) tomorrow?

Brian
    Robe said in the postgame show that Solich will get the start on Sunday.

I hope he pitches a great game. I'll probably have to wear his camo jersey from Tuesday night since I am the rightful owner of his jersey.

Meanwhile, the Cajuns have shelled the two top Owl relievers (Schmal and Salberg), both lefties. Both can still throw some tomorrow. But the Cajuns have seen their stuff and have had success the first time around. I would guess that Coach Kevin Cooney sticks with Brandon Cooney for the Sunday start. But Cooney has struggled with his control and has been hit hard this season. The Cajuns can work some walks if they are patient and will also get some good fastballs to hit.

Brian
    If Coach Cooney wasn't sure the Cajuns are lefty hitters, he should be now. Coach said Solich gets the start. I like the depth this team has. Outfield, infield, bullpen, starters. It's a tourney team. They just need to take it on the road.

9. UL Baseball Re: Today's Game

Salberg actually did not throw today. That was Pepe following Phillabaum. Salberg could either start in place of Cooney tomorrow or follow Cooney.

Brian

Salberg actually did not throw today. That was Pepe following Phillabaum. Salberg could either start in place of Cooney tomorrow or follow Cooney.

Brian
    Pepe got Peppered.

Just curious as to why Alexander isnt playing? Is he hurt? He's swinging the bat well. He has a 19 game hit streak, but has made a few costly errors.

Quote Originally Posted by cjntgr
    Just curious as to why Alexander isnt playing? Is he hurt? Hes swinging the bat well. He has a 19 game hit streak, but has made a few costly errors.
    His errors and his strikeouts in the lead-off position. That is what I was told today.

13. UL Baseball Ragin' Cajun pitchers silence Florida ATLANTIC Owls

Florida International's ATLANTIC's vaunted bats not worth a hoot against UL's Moody, Pilgreen

A team batting average of .359, 47 homeruns, an impresssive road win over Oklahoma State and two one-run losses to perennial powers Nebraska and Rice on the road?

Cajun pitchers Hunter Moody and Matt Pilgreen were not impressed with Florida Atlantic's gaudy offensive numbers, limiting the visitors to eight hits, only one for extra bases in UL's 5-2 win over the Owls, giving Coach Tony Robichaux his 700th career win at Tigue Moore field Saturday.

Moody, a lefty junior from Clinton, scattered seven singles and walked only one Owl batter in seven consistent innings, surrendering only two runs, the first when he hit left fielder Robbie Widlansky with a pitch with two outs in the sixth inning. Widlansky later scored on a single by centerfielder Daniel Cook to cut the Cajuns' lead to 2-1 and the second in the very next inning when second baseman Daniel Bomback drove home first baseman Riaan Spanjer-Furstenburg to knot the score at two.

Spanjer-Furstenburg's first collegiate at bat earlier this season produced a bases loaded homerun against Mississippi Valley State.

Pilgren, meanwhile, was much the same as he has been in every appearance this season, giving up a leadoff single to the first batter he faced in Owl left fielder Mike McKenna on a 1-1 slider, before retiring six in a row including back-to-back strikeouts of FAU's five and six hole hitters, Cook and dh Tyler Stevens.

The rest of the story

S.L. Huter

Default Re: Ragin' Cajun pitchers silence Florida International Owls

I think FIU and FAU are different schools

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Ragin' Cajun pitchers silence Florida International Owls

I think FIU and FAU are different schools
    Unfortunately, our P.O.S newspaper apparently only keeps a "skeleton" crew for the weekends. The Advertisers writer(Dan McDonald) was covering the golf tournament at Le Triomphe. We had to use the second and third string outsiders to cover UL baseball and softball.

What a freakin joke.

Z.

Page 37 of 74 FirstFirst . 27 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 47 . LastLast

Thread Information